Sign in to follow this  
usedHONDA

The <off topic> thread

Not too slow at all mate.  I was letting the dreaded christmas get out of the way before getting serious about it.

Been doing a lot of swotting up on the subject but still none the clearer on some things ... which thermal paste for instance ?  Such a minefield according to the site Kemaru linked to

Then there's things like ssd's (i thought it was something you went to a clinic to get antibiotics for ...)  Is a 128Gb ssd with a 500Gb hard-drive the way to go ?  I dunno nothing

I'll PM you over this weekend

Ah Cat Power is so great. Or actually, she was great. I'm glad she's feeling good now but man, she was an amazing singer-songwriter when she was alcoholic, depressed, deranged and sad. "I could stay here, become someone different / I could stay here, become someone better"

Edited by Kemaru

There's no bigger cynic than me when it comes to big business.  My mind has been swayed slightly by events this weekend.

On Friday my nephew and his wife lost everything when a river broke it's banks and flooded their ground floor flat.  Including things they had for their son who was born this morning ... but local businesses have donated furniture etc, a big supermarket has replaced everything for the baby and a small shop has donated a pram and cot.

Made me eat my words a bit

• Upvote 2

How sad & awful for your nephew but it does restore some faith in humanity when you see people helping others like this. Big & small helping out. Congratulations to the parents on the safe arrival of their precious bundle of joy too. 

If you like, send rain & some cold this way. We have been frying for the last week. Temps up to 45 deg C that's 112 to 113 F. I have to put large bottle of frozen water in with the rats to keep them alive & hosing down the dogs. The air is so hot that we don't even bother with the fan. My backyard is fully baked now. We are surrounded in a thick smoke haze that makes it impossible to see clearly the backyard. My nose is bleeding often & the headaches are not responding to pain killers. It is hard just to breathe. Still, there are many who have it much harder. The firies, who battle the intense heat from the bushfires, the smoke & the danger, are indeed brave men & women. Birds are dropping out of the skies, dying. Livestock simply keeling over & the same with wildlife.

Over in Canada & other places, my friends are battling crippling cold & are often days without power. Then we have floods for other family & friends. I don't know which is worse. Sending warmth your way & a bit of a dry spell too :D

45 degrees C ?  Holy cow I'd melt.  No wonder you're getting headaches.  I'd send you some of the hailstones we had today ... but I tink they'd melt

It seems the weather is from one extreme to another around the world.  Global warming or natural patterns ?  Depends if you're a government minister wanting to tax things even higher for the 'greener good' (I'm back to being cynical)

I hope it improves for you soon B' ... and whether it's hot as hell, a total washout with wind or if it's colder than a witch's breast, I hope everyone stays safe in their various countries (animals included)

Edited by welshblue

Welshy, I can report that it s now 20 deg C cooler & we've had a bit of rain. Musta been them hailstones :D

Hoping for a bit of relief for everyone :D

Yeah, yeah, everyone complains about the weather, but no one does anything about it! :P

I can say that because it's pretty mild here, for now anyway. But we have had a lot more snow than usual. I've just about run out of room to shovel. And it's not easy to house train a puppy in winter. :roll: 

But seriously, extremes either way are hard, and I hope everyone is doing okay. :)

I'm happy we don't have any snow this year and the cold is quite minimal, we're mostly above 5°C. No snow, just rain, And the grass is really, really green. (no leaves though)

Edited by Kemaru

Yesterday was one of the coldest days I've seen in quite some time. Last temp reading i saw was -12ºC (10ºF). But by the weekend, it's supposed to hit around 15ºC. I just wish it would make up its mind :P

I think I've converted my father over to Chrome... I put it on his PC a while ago, and dropped hints that it was there. I just heard him say: "I like to pull stuff up on that Chrome. Explorer seems to conk out all the time." My job is complete :)

• Upvote 3

I think I've converted my father over to Chrome... I put it on his PC a while ago, and dropped hints that it was there. I just heard him say: "I like to pull stuff up on that Chrome. Explorer seems to conk out all the time." My job is complete :)

Nice work! Like I've been saying for a while now, the only thing Explorer is good for is downloading firefox/chrome.
  • Upvote 1

Good luck to them.  What a find.  The only thing I seem to find on a walk is dog muck

Living in an area with so much countryside steeped in history and so many beaches just 20 minutes away I must invest in a metal detector ...