Sign in to follow this  
usedHONDA

The <off topic> thread

To everyone who celebrates it, Happy Thanksgiving.

Although we don't in France. I would like to wish a happy Thanksgiving to those that celebrate the day. 

We don't in Australia either but the class did activities based on Thanksgiving & enjoyed learning about it. 

We all have something to be thankful for & the class decided we should have a day to reflect on that. :D ANy excuse for a party.

We all have something to be thankful for & the class decided we should have a day to reflect on that. :D ANy excuse for a party.

Please may I join your class ? :D

I bought Photoshop Creative Cloud and Lightroom today. On one hand, it's nice that I got Photoshop for a quarter of CS6's price and Lightroom is essentially free, but on the other, after a year the price will skyrocket and I'll have no way to pay for it.

I bought Photoshop Creative Cloud and Lightroom today. On one hand, it's nice that I got Photoshop for a quarter of CS6's price and Lightroom is essentially free, but on the other, after a year the price will skyrocket and I'll have no way to pay for it.

Student discount?

Nah, it was just a special offer. It's a 12 month subscription. I was originally undecided between Aperture and Lightroom, but I guess this is better. Photoshop is a generally a lot more useful because I also like to paint digitally.

I am not a fan of the whole subscription paradigm, not in online games and certainly not for a piece of software. I don't even have a phone contract, I do prepaid.

It is an odd thing.  I work for a SaaS company, so it might be a little bizarre for me to criticize it too much, but I definitely think it's a flawed model for the consumer.  (Our software is for business use, which I think works better on a subscription model)

The entire year costs me roughly 150€, so that's definitely an upside (982€ for PS CS6) of the subscription-based business model. On the other hand, if my income was dependant on the use of Photoshop, InDesign and such, 700+ a year for the entire software suite would be a lot. Photographers and graphic designers tend to require expensive paraphernalia to begin with, so adding software costs on top of costly equipment would be a bummer.

It really bugs me that basically, Adobe has a monopoly over the graphic design market. Sure, in the video editing division it has competitors like Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas and the like but Photoshop is the go-to choice of 99,999% graphic designers.

Not been on the forums in a while...sifting through all the unread posts is a bear... :)

Not forgetting keeping up with TechnoRobbo and his plug-ins, plus new toys from Red Ochre too :)

With spare time on my hands, I'm trying to think of projects and one that springs to mind is building my own pc system ... being a total novice, it can't be that much harder than building an engine or gearbox ?

Components tho' a different matter.  I've not got a clue ... Intel or AMD CPU (AMD seem a lot cheaper, but are they less reliable because of cheaper price ?) ... which MotherBoard ... Gigabyte or other ?  Which RAM maker is best ? Etc

Any links to articles or feedback as to the best components very much appreciated.  One thing I've learned after inadvertently going to a U.S. supplier site, we're paying wayyy more over here for things.  Eg. A Corsair power supply is $70 but the price here is £70 ($114) ... all adds up on everything

Wow, good luck with that Welshblue! New components come in regularly and it's tough to know which parts to buy. I don't know anything about building computers, but I'd think it wise to start with looking for a decent motherboard, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z87-haswell-motherboard-review,3524.html

I'd go for Intel, but there are many who consider AMD to be better due to its lower price.

Thanks Kemaru and EER ... bookmarked for reading.

@ RFX ... rickrolling has to be the most annoying thing invented on the internet.  Hated him then and hate him now.  Not cool

Awards ... where has the time gone this year ?

Check the link I posted - it didn't want to work. I had an "l" appended where it wasn't required :roll:

Edited.

I thought error 404 wasn't a good omen for building a PC  :P

Luckily all the detective books that are bankrupting me on the kindle, helped me work out the address.  Very interesting tips and tricks for everything on there.

Welsh, I know I'm way slow, but I'd be happy to help ya choose components for your new PC. And kudos for taking the leap to building your own, it's a rewarding experience. :)