Sign in to follow this  
usedHONDA

The <off topic> thread

Well done Welshy! It will not change you :P

Don't let it change you. :D

£10.00 Saturday and £2.50 last night ... such life changing amounts tho' :lol:
  • Upvote 1

You can have it all :)

Actually seeing your name I think I'll buy a couple of dvd's for the paeds' ward that my daughter was on again last week. Says a lot when the nurses remember her name. Unsung heroes who really go above and beyond

... also says a lot for society when they have to chain down tv's etc, so a small contribution is the least we can do for their excellent care

• Upvote 2

Unsung indeed, but duty is duty. The pay is not the best in the world (pretty bad when a football player gets more than a life saver)  The reward of seeing someone getting back to full health again or not having to make "that phone call" is the best job satisfaction. A letter or flowers off someone who appreciates what you have done is touching and often brings a tear to the eye. I have never asked for (or wanted) praise, but it is nice to be acknowledged and for that I thank you. :)

• Upvote 4

I saw on tv last week that 93% of Australian hospital staff were abused in some form during the last year. This ranges from verbal abuse to physical assault. This is shameful. No wonder sometimes we are on the short end of the stick. How hard is it to say thank you for the wonderful care they gave you or a loved one? If you get a grumpy one, think about the 93% - who spoke to this person last?

I owe hospitals & nurses my life & the lives of both my children, Yes, the nurses & other staff did their duty but most went way beyond duty. 

Welshy, see, we had faith in you that you would not be changed by the win :P I'm sure the paed ward will appreciate it very much. Might have to send you some bubble wrap for BabyBlue :D

They're shocking statistics. Back on my soapbox now but you've got to wonder about the future when some people think that's acceptable.
Not sure what it's like in other countries but here firemen and ambulance crews getting attacked going about their work, along with nurses being verbally/ physically assaulted and the courts usually give the perpetrators a slap on the wrist. Something is not right

I'm the same B' ... my family owe a lot to nurses and doctors. The boxes of chocolates when leaving is a small price to pay for the terrible but great job done

Bubble wrap for BabyBlue - she'd either suffocate in it or swallow it. I swear she's taken 10 years off my life being rushed to hospital 3 times in the past 12 months.

NN - I love my football and watch about 6 games a week but totally agree. No man is worth £100,000 + a week for kicking a ball around when your profession is treated so shabbily by the government here (hopefully it's better in Sweden)

You're going to get praise whether you want it or not ;) --- you're a  :star:

• Upvote 2

I have to say, it is better here than in the UK. I still get verbal abuse, (I suppose that is like every country) but I do get less here in Sweden, so far I have not had a punch thrown at me here yet (fingers crossed I don't) In the UK it was a regular occurrence not just isolated to the Friday / Saturday night crowd that roll into A&E or visit people on the ward, it was a daily threat. I have had more physical and verbal abuse than I can count up to. Certainly not part of the job description, but as mentioned previously, the rewards out number the negatives. I enjoy my work. Helping to save lives and being an understanding shoulder to cry on when needed is always the best bonus.
As we all know, an OBE or MBE is reserved for a celebrity, a footballer or a chef.

Personally I would give awards out at the end of each year to life boat rescuers / Air ambulance / people who give their time for free to save people and who make a difference. Not someone who cooks on TV or Sings at an opening ceremony attended by the head of state.

• Upvote 5

You trying to get me on my soapbox again ...  so I fall off, break my leg and buy more chocolates for your colleagues  :P

Agreed totally about the OBEs and MBEs.  

Z list celebrities being more deserving than real life heroes/ heroines says a lot about the state of the country.  

As for the air ambulance - it's totally funded by donations here in Wales not one penny off the government 

... hang on - is this the off topic or the rant thread  :evillaugh:

Getting off my political horse now before either the men in black suits or the men in white coats come for me

It really is a shame just how bad medical staff are treated over there...and the US is not far behind, I fear. I have the utmost respect for our nurses. They work their backsides off to get through school and clinicals, then work long/late hours to ensure the health of their patients. To turn around and get abuse like that is just sad...and for the people that do it, if they were on fire, I wouldn't so much as spit on 'em. My sister just started school to be a nurse. I don't want her to have to face that kind of c_r_a_p.

I had to look up what a OBE/MBE was...Celebrities and footballers get that? Seriously? Just for being good at something insignificant? There are so many people that would be much more deserving of such an award...Same goes for stuff like the Oscars and Emmys and what-not here in the states...

• Upvote 1

Good luck to your sister Daniels - a noble calling

I'm always quick to slag off the bad in people, but then I read something that lifts my heart and belief in human nature

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24170670

... astounding honesty and respect 

• Upvote 1

What a great kid.

Dairy Queen are looking for a way to reward him ? Ummm put him through Business School ? He'd be an asset to any company

An evil kid now. My daughter.

My son came home ranting tonight after football.

He had a shower, unrolled his towel and a some of my wife's underwear fell on the floor in front of all his team-mates ... I don't think he appreciates the practical joke very much.

Things could get nasty

Brutal!

Not as brutal as his team-mates are going to be tomorrow :lol: 

Lucky for him it's an away game ... or maybe not so lucky.  It all depends how drunk they get on the bus home I guess

... BarbieQ' - payback has already started - he's put clown pictures in her bedroom ( she screamed and screamed)  He's finished with her boyfriend for her by hacking her FacelessBook.

She's retaliated by hiding a baby monitor she borrowed under his bed - he threw a bowl of cereal everywhere when she moaned into it

Thankfully I found out she wanted to put hair remover in his shower gel before it happened.  That would not have ended well

It's got to the stage where even I'm checking behind doors before going into a room

I almost wish I wasn't here (but don't want to tempt fate ...)

Not what I need after the flu then bronchitis on top of everything else that's wrong is WWIII

I know the U.S government shutdown doesn't directly affect me, but I thought this was funny.

Warning, video contains some adult language.

Opposites here...hot & dry. If this is Spring then please cancel Summer!

Whichever part of the world we come from it is never nice to get an extreme before the due date :D Even then we'd just like to pass.