Sign in to follow this  
usedHONDA

The <off topic> thread

Great to have you back :)  What things new and incredible have you done in paint.net without us?

Edited by pdnnoob

Once seen - never forgotten. Still the benchmark for spacescapes IMO ... although Drydareelin is rocketing up ...

• Upvote 1

For some reason I managed to receive an email with the off-topic thread still and haven't been on in ages, I hope all is going well with everyone here :) Paint.NET is what inspired me to go to school for graphic design! Now it's already nearing my second year of college and I cannot believe how fast it's gone!

I'm super glad to see welsh is still here :D and Sozo and more!

Just wanted to say I'm not dead!

• Upvote 1

That's weird.

I was just thinking about yourself and 'Nabster when I'd posted the bit about 'the benchmark'. Both very accomplished space artists. Just had a quick look @ your dA ... bwoy you look all grown up  :evillaugh: 

Some great work you've posted too since I was last on there

Teachers get such a bad press in some quarters but I've got to say I'm very impressed in how many have given up their weekends and evenings to enable my daughter to catch up on her coursework ready for her GCSE's after she off ill for a couple of months

Respect where it's due

@welsh, gamer, pdnnoob: Thanks for the kind words. I haven't done a whole lot aside from my signature recently. My DevArt and forum account have lain fallow. :( I'd like to do more, but it will probably have to wait until after I upgrade my computer and monitor. Also: just realized I missed my 6th forum anniversary earlier this month. April 2 2007, April 22 2013. When did I get so old? :noes:

@Daniels: Once again our ignorant leaders try their hand in legislating away net neutrality. Who on earth sponsors these kinds of bills?

. Also: just realized I missed my 6th forum anniversary earlier this month. April 2 2007, April 22 2013. When did I get so old? :noes:

If you're old a few of us here are almost dinosaurs.  As the saying goes - you're as old as the person you feel ... luckily for me my wife has only just turned 40  :P

My 5 year anniversary here today.  I'm sure the piece I'm working on to commemorate it is going to kill my pc

@Welsh: Are you sure it's not more than that? I started when it was still 2007 right after I graduated college, so it's going to be six years in May. You came here when I probably did. 

Goodness, I'm not that far off of six years myself - this August, in fact. It's a shame that, in that time, I appear to have lost my taste for graphic design, but I suppose people move on - that is to say, I do. The rest of you have not changed at all; still some of the friendliest and most interesting people I've met. I dare say the community is one of the only reasons I have never stopped reading this forum.

@welshblue; I must agree with you with regard to the dedication of teachers. I myself am also currently preparing for GCSEs - thankfully, not that many; just a few early ones. I am constantly astounded by the seemingly endless time and resources my teachers appear to have at their disposal; my English teacher, for example, has been running sessions after school and on weekends to help people doing retakes of their exams, and she has still somehow found the time to rehearse for another play with us (this time, not a musical, I am glad to say). I should like to go into teaching myself, and I am glad to have so many admirable examples to look up to.

...Well, reading through my post again, that was really needlessly long-winded. I suppose I am simply Ina sentimental mood today.

• Upvote 2

Rubrica, I have to agree with Helen. When we are young, we try many things & rightly so. Some of these things we will return to, others simply form a part of who we become.

I am glad you have some good teachers. As a teacher, I make time for those students who need & want help. I regularly miss out on my lunch break for my students & often work into the night developing resources for a particular student. In my case, I have less than 20 students & they are all adults - 16 y.o & over. Not all of them stay long. Only those who want to & it is those who make it worthwhile. I don't come home everyday brimming with joy - quite the opposite some days, but there are times that one student's success will erase all of the bad things. 

@ Helen ... nope 5 years.  it just seems longer having known me  :P

@ Rubrica ... I'm sure whatever career path you journey on will be a success.  I've always been impressed with your maturity and intelligience.  

@ BarbieQ' ... you dedicated ones are an inspiration.  I can only speak for the school my kids go to, and even tho' the majority of teachers look about 12 they do wonders 

PS. I meant to say happy pdn anniversaries to everyone

Edited by welshblue

My goodness, I realised I've joined on my brother's birthday. It seems I've passed my 5-year anniversary as well!

In other news, my friend asked me to move in with him for the summer. I'm excited, though the prospect of being unable to pay rent worries me. As I've mentioned a couple times before I'm apparently unable to find a job despite applying for so many. 

An example: on Monday, I sent an application to a cleaning company. I was delighted to receive an invitation to a job interview on Tuesday, 2 o'clock only 3 hours after sending the mail. But there was no way I could make it to the interview because I had a project I needed to work on at school. So I replied, asking if I could come either on Thursday or Friday. I still haven't received a reply, even though I sent the reply on Monday.

That looks really neat.  It'll be invaluable on shading

No line tool in the tool window ?