Sign in to follow this  
usedHONDA

The <off topic> thread

Hate to say it delpart, but it sounds like you're shaped much the same as Gollum! boltbait.lol.png

Well I do lack a lot of hair on my noggin to help complete that picture ... Just lacking the child like over-sized eyes to complete the feel without wearing glasses. With my glasses oddly enough, my eyes are about 1.3 times their normal size when seen from the observes standpoint ... (sigh)

Do you not mean "Gangsta" :lol:

I'm definitely getting old :(

When I was growing up Gangsters wore suits and any gold was discreet but tasteful. Guns were very rarely used. Knives were used to serve as a reminder not to kill

It's the swagger of some of the kids around here that make me laugh with the Gangsta look. Those jeans would annoy the frigg out of me, I always think they look like an advertisement for a weight loss programme. And most of them are from pretty comfortable households so have no reason to dis-respect anyone ... not dissing anyone here but when you're white, middle class or almost; the attitude/drawl/ dropping letters from words really isn't cool to those who don't get the image. My son isn't into that look but a couple of pairs of his jeans/ trousers are a bit sus' to me. Tight legs and a saggy butt and crutch ? What's that about ? I always think he's only missing a big toweling nappy/ diaper and the 'look' would be complete ... or starch to turn them into WWI army trousers :lol:

No offence meant to any resident Gangstas ... real or plastic. ;):P

Another sign I'm getting old ... Rambling. I only popped in say something to uH & Kemaru and laff/comment to EER's post.

@ uH and Kemaru ... @ your ages you could possibly through friends/ ask around/ possibly know or be one, meet some fashion design students and be their market research and models. Or a chance to buy bespoke clothing to help pay their way through college.

Why couldn't I have thought of that 30 years ago. :/

Edited by welshblue

Ah come on WB, dont recall all the pseudo punks etc? Same thing, different influences, different time in history. Anarchy versus bling-archy. :mrgreen:

I met a whole lot of well off people trying to live up the ideals of folks like Sid Vicious who had zero clue what they were espousing.

Sticker shock - I like that.

Everything is a circle. There is nothing new under the sun...platforms, stilettos, smack, don't smack...funny how kids can make you old & feel young again in one fell swoop.

One thing my wife often complains about is how cheap it's buy men's sized clothes for herself. Razors and stuff like that. It was funny listening to her rant, but after seeing the price, it just leaves me shaking my head.

I don't care much for those graphic tees that's the rage these days, but I prefer a plain 100% cotton shirts in extra large and tall size, and blue jeans, I'm happy as a camper in the wood.

Going back to the Immovable/Unstoppable discussion:

internet-memes-think-about-it.jpg

(via memebase)

Or, two immovable objects:

636x460design_01.jpg

(via threadless)

Or, perchance, two unstoppable forces:

ChuckNorrisMagicCard2.jpg?width=312&height=445superman_by_dmccain.jpg?w=375

(via random google images searching)

Muaha. I love the internet. If you want it, someone's already made it for you.

By the way, y'all should take a look at UntoldIndy.com -- that's my latest web project, with my wife. It's exciting - we're getting a lot of interest worldwide, actually.

Images are made or edited in Paint.NET, at least partially!

By the way, y'all should take a look at UntoldIndy.com -- that's my latest web project, with my wife. It's exciting - we're getting a lot of interest worldwide, actually.

Images are made or edited in Paint.NET, at least partially!

The design is really well done. Is that your work? Also, I am curious as to why it isn't being hosted on a CMS. A rarity for online magazines.

The coding is 100% mine; the design is about 50% mine, in the end.

It's not being hosted on a CMS because it was going to take a long time to theme a CMS in the time I had available to me. Eventually, it will be; just not yet.

Wow. Rendering is so much faster with SSE2. I've finally started on the new shapes tool for 4.0, and it uses Direct2D for rendering. In order to support the "overwrite" blending mode (it's there in the toolbar in 3.5) I need to render a color version, and an alpha mask. But the alpha mask, once rendered, needs to be converted to a bi-level mask. Essentially, *p = *p ? 255 : 0, for each pixel.

These 3 instructions do it very quickly in SSE2:

1. pcmpeqb http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bz5xk21a.aspx

2. pand http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1beaceh8.aspx

3. maskmovdqu http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yyhs9sh7.aspx

Microsoft said today it will unveil a "consumer preview" edition of Windows 8 at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on February 29.

I'm not a touchscreen kind of guy, and I'm ambivalent towards the cloud. Plus I'm already using a 64 bit version of Win7 - so it's going to take a lot of other awesomeness to get me to change.

http://act.350.org/sign/help_nasheed/

"Tell your national leaders:

We are deeply concerned about the recent coup that forced Maldives President Mohamed Nasheed from office. President Nasheed was the first democratically elected leader of his country and a global voice for action to address the climate crisis. He needs your support to ensure his safety.

Please put diplomatic pressure on the leaders of this coup to avoid violence and to work for a peaceful, democratic solution to their conflict."

Hmm. Apple's 15" MacBook Pro is a bit too pricey for me (2,199€!!!! O__O), so I looked around and found 2 other laptops I might like, Samsung series 7 15.6" (1,299€), and HP dv7 (799€). Design is as important to me as performance so I'd be willing to pay 500€ extra for the Samsung, which imo looks better, but HP's dv7 isn't half bad either. They're both pretty much equal in performance, but dv7 has a slightly better graphics card. Samsung on the other hand starts up faster... there's the 500€ difference in price as well /:

I know this isn't a tech support forum but I'd appreciate any insight or suggestion or advice. :)

Edited by Kemaru