Sign in to follow this  
usedHONDA

The <off topic> thread

In other news; I just finished my year 12 senior music analysis task on the idea of combining complex time signatures with mixed metre in musical composition. Hardcore stuff, but fun none-the-less.

Stayed home sick today. :(

Watched about 12 hours of Daria. :)

More tomorrow.

Is that PdnBench program still around? I did a fair bit of searching and couldn't find any working links for the 3.2 version, and that's the most recent version I know of. I ask because I got a SSD this summer and I want to benchmark the change. :)

Hi, people! Just thought I'd check on you all, see what's changed. Sad that I can barely go six months without talking to you all. :D So, is anything majorly new? Any new mods or rules I should know about? I'm still not likely to be posting that often (and I'm mostly a Photoshop convert now), but I just wanted to say hi.

Edited by Rubrica

Very astute of you to remember her. ;) Anyway, apart from a minor incident in which she may or may not have nearly been killed, depending on who you believe (personally, I think she's just being dramatic), she's fine; I'm still hopelessly lime rent over her, although half of me REALLY hates her now for some of the little things she's said and done.

A woman being dramatic ? Never ...

(Joke ladies ;) )

You're still young my friend, enjoy your time and don't get too involved.

One day you may be a long time married ... then you get to wear the trousers - but your wife will tell you what colour you can wear :D

You're still writing on that novel?

Well, I've recycled all the characters from it, made them better and started a new one, so kind of, yeah. :) Actually, this has been really coincidental timing; I started writing it a couple of days ago. I'm doing 50k this month, 50k in November and 50k in January. It will be a compilation of three interlinked stories resulting in a final climatic, uh, climax. Climatic climax? Eh. Anyway, you can click the big banner in my sig if you want to subscribe to my progress blog. :)

welshblue: Indeed; after watching my parents fight for so many years, I'm well accustomed to the concept. :)

@ Rubrica ... I think you're a star. And a real hope for all things in the future. Since I joined here, I've always enjoyed the maturity of your posts.

I'd like to proofread your novel :)

------------------------------------

Off Topic

Any recommendations for decent headphones to plug into the computer would be appreciated

I bought a pair of Snnheiser HD 201 Headphones for around $50 and they've lasted me a good year. They have great sound quality, a long cable for if you need to move around and a 2 year warranty.

Spot the bug. (from 3.5.x source tree)

public static ScaleFactor Max(ScaleFactor lhs, ScaleFactor rhs)
{
   if (lhs > rhs)
   {
       return lhs;
   }
   else
   {
       return lhs;
   }
}

Fixed!

public static ScaleFactor Lhs(ScaleFactor lhs, ScaleFactor rhs)
{
   if (lhs > rhs)
   {
       return lhs;
   }
   else
   {
       return lhs;
   }
}

http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/096/044/original/trollface.jpg?1296494117

@welshblue: Thanks. :) Around February, I might drop you a line. As for headphones, I'd recommend Skullcandy; sure, those little skulls look goddamn ridiculous, but they're good quality. Senheisser, though, as recommended, is definitely a good choice.

Off Topic

Any recommendations for decent headphones to plug into the computer would be appreciated

I'm a big fan of Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones.

You really need to try them on to see which style feels best for you.

Sennheiser PX-100II. Great audio quality. Great for indoors, even better on the go. They leak some noise, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Kemaru

@ sfifer, Kemaru, Rubrica and BoltBait ... thanks guys.

After trying on a pair of Sennheiser HD 202 II at my local currys/pcworld (on sale for £49.99) I've ordered a pair from Amazon for £22.42

It's not overpriced, just high priced because it's the top quality, for those that want it / can afford it.

Take noise cancelation, other cheaper brands work great for their price, but bose is like you cant hear anything else!

plus i think the fact that noise cancelation can be turned on/off is handy too!

To each his own, i guess though. Right?

My friend has a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones. I find the sound comparible to the Sennheiser ones. However, I find the Bose at 3x the price and totally uncomfortable to wear.