Sign in to follow this  
usedHONDA

The <off topic> thread

...today's listeners don't want technically awesome songs, they want ultra-catchy and repetitive songs.

QFT - most people don't play the instruments they listen to, and have a hard time distinguishing between quality and lack thereof.

Lol, it's funny how there are no emo people once you get into college.

Haha - first thing I noticed - no strange band people in the corners making out or rednecks kicking stuff around - just students trying to get to class! :P

I disagree, a repetitive song is boring. And I listen to pop.

Besides, successful pop songs can be very technical too.

As an electronica producer, I can guarantee this isn't easy to make.

I was saying that most mainstream music (at least what I am hit with on the radio) is, as Zwicky put it, repetitive, and as uH said, basic, to say the most.

I agree with you that repetitive music is boring - I listen music to play it, so technical is good!

While I tend to stick within Alternative rock genres, I'm sure electronica has a lot to offer as far as technical skill goes.

To me most of the music I hear on the radio sound like it fits into one of about 2 or 3 genres. You get the dance-pop kind of stuff, like blooper linked to above, you get the pop-punk / pop-metal kind of thing which is generally fair tedious & then you get the "alternative" which can be anything from bands like Coldplay (dull in my book) to slightly more up-tempo stuff like, perhaps, Kings of Leon.

"Popular" music isn't something I know that much about as I try to pay as little attention to it as possible.

For me, music gets more interesting if you dig deeper. For those of you that liked the video that Blooper posted, check out Imogen Heap, her music is waaaay more involved on the production side than most poppy dance music & she pretty much did the whole thing herself, Speak for Yourself and Ellipse are two excellent albums.

For anyone who likes rock music, check out Transatlantic, they have just released a new album called The Whirlwind which, again, is excellent.

For me, music gets more interesting if you dig deeper. For those of you that liked the video that Blooper posted, check out Imogen Heap, her music is waaaay more involved on the production side than most poppy dance music & she pretty much did the whole thing herself, Speak for Yourself and Ellipse are two excellent albums.

3OH!3 are electronica producers, they're the ones doing the mixing/production/etc. Or at least they are in the version without Katy Perry.

It is a very good buy, quick install and good quality. A lot more drawing space than it looks like in the picture actually.

Edit: Just noticed my post count is the same as that annoying band, 3OH!3.

I don't know anything about tablets really. How do you use them for artwork? Of course there's drawing an object or picture inside a photo-editing program, but is that it?

I don't know anything about tablets really. How do you use them for artwork? Of course there's drawing an object or picture inside a photo-editing program, but is that it?

It's generally far more precise. It's a nice complement.

@tablet discussion: I love my Wacom. Got it at a garage sale about two years ago (it was 3 years old at that point), and works beautifuly! The pressure sensetivity (around 250 degrees of it) and pen angle sensors work flawlessly, and I got it for like $20, too :D

@music discussion: My favorite type of songs are the ones that are simple to the ear, but complex at its core. Google the track Untitled 4 by Sigur Ros, or better yet, Nude by Radiohead [don't worry, nothing obscene XD]. They don't push your eardrums to the limit and they're easy to comprehend, but the number of techniques in both its music theory and instrumentation make for a very smooth flow. Songs like those two are also unique in their structure-- most songs nowadays go something like verse-chorus-verse-chorus while bands like Sigur Ros and Radiohead may go something like verse-verse-chorus or verse1-chorus1-verse1-chorus1-verse2-verse3-verse2-chorus2 (that would be Paranoid Android by Radiohead, more or less).

What I miss since sept 22 lol.

Just droping in to say hi, I have not had much time to come online these days with working a 9 - 5 job, and then hanging with the GF and friends.

Everyone still here ? I see UH, Nab, Blooper, Kemaru, Rubrica, MBL, and pyrochild. Nice to see ya all again.

I just had the greatest blonde moment of my life about 2 minutes ago. While reading Wiki articles on things like musical temperament and melodic scales (I've become a music theory geek, sorta wishing I took AP Music Theory instead of guitar...), I had a playlist of my absolute favorite songs evar playing (still like 200 songs, some I haven't heard in years). Anywho, I begin hearing this really awesome sounding song that I recognize, but can't recall its title. It seems to be Radiohead song, judging by the vocalist (no doubt it's Thom Yorke). So I give up my guessing and look at the title of this yet anonymous track of awesome. As it turns out, it was a remix I made of the song, which sounds nothing like the original (only the vocals remain somewhat in-tact from the actual track)

So yeah, that was a cool moment for me. Normally, I try not to listen to what I make more than a few times (that way, my content stays original). Seems like I don't give myself enough credit for things:)

BTW, my hair isn't blonde XD