The <off topic> thread

Raster image editing.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

what does raster even mean??

There's this handy thing called Wikipedia... :P

Raster = Image is made up of hundreds of individual pixels. The color of each of these individual pixels and their relation to each other makes an image as a whole when observed from a distance. Because of this, scaling methods must use resampling to approximate what the original image would look like at the new size. Photographs are Raster images.

Vector = Image is made up of logically independent shapes drawn by mathematical formulas stored in an XML-structure. The possible fill styles of these shapes are largely determined by programmatic capability, though there are several effects defined in the SVG standard for vector graphics. Scaling vector graphics results in zero quality loss as far as shapes are concerned, since the program redefines the mathematical formula for the desired shape and redraws it each time. Vector images are created in programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, or CorelDRAW, but some raster programs such as Photoshop or The GIMP support vector paths, and the former Macromedia Fireworks fully supported both raster graphic and vector shape editing within the same document.

damn, i was really hoping he could do that :( ... does photoshop?? because i have that

Photoshop has the "Pen" tool, which can be used to draw Bézier curve paths with any number of nodes - each point is defined individually as you need it. In order to actually do anything with it, you either have to fill it, stroke it (this paints an outline along its edge), or create a Vector Mask for a layer fill. Note that I haven't used Photoshop to any great degree since CS2, so there may be a few options I'm leaving out.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Actually, Photoshop does support vectors to a degree now.

But if you want real vector work, you should use Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Actually, Photoshop does support vectors to a degree now.

But if you want real vector work, you should use Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator.

i've got adobe illustrator but i don't know if i have inkscape.. photoshop is a real when trying to make a simple thing like drawing a square because it becomes a vector and then doesn't show in the saved .png or .jpg or whatever it's final save is

photoshop is a real bitch when trying to make a simple thing like drawing a square because it becomes a vector and then doesn't show in the saved .png or .jpg or whatever it's final save is

You seem to be mistaken about exactly how Photoshop's vector tools work. When you draw a rectangle with the Rectangle Path Tool, you create a sort of "placeholder" shape that doesn't affect your image. To make the shape show up on your image, you need to carry out another step from that "placeholder". After you drag out a rectangle with the vector tool, you can create a raster rectangle by right-click > Fill Path and choose whatever color you want to fill it with. If you simply want an outline of a rectangle, make sure your brush size and shape in the Brush tool is the thickness you want the line to be, then go to the Pen/Rectangle tool and right-click > Trace Path.

Photoshop isn't a [female dog]. At times, there are ways to navigate in an even easier way than Paint.NET, providing the user of the program has enough knowledge to take advantage of these ways.

i know, and i'm p'd off and but i bought a book to help (i have CS4 the book was CS3) waste of money seeing as it dosn't help with that :(

Google, man. I cannot stress this enough. There's a wealth of information out there.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/1 ... 68F7a.html

You want C in that diagram.

~ Becoming the Archetype

This video is so amazing, I'm sure Chuck Norris will stand up, and applaud, daring everyone else in attendance to do so, or they all will be roundhouse kicked out of the arena. These girls got some serious talents...I cannot wrap my head around the hours they practice to pull off those difficult moves. :shock:

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

^awesome

[...]The one problem I'm having now is: I've decided to re-rip all the music that I lost in FLAC or OGG - per CD, depending upon whether or not I like it enough to go lossless - but I'm pretty sure my MP3 player doesn't support either format. [...]

I don't see many advantages to FLAC; Honestly, I don't see a difference between 200-something kbps from 320 kbps mp3s. Besides, the speakers you're going to to them on and the environment nearby will probably not be of the highest quality. When I'm making remixes in FL Studio, I tend to either encode in 320 or 430 kbps, and I still can't get a grasp on its true sound with my speakers. When I hook up my PS3 to the surround sound system, the soundgasm begins (7 speakers, all with great bass and treble balance).

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

One of my college instructors is a complete audiophile - get him talking about is his speaker set up, and he'll go on for an hour - and FLAC is the codec he uses. Also, his name is Thor, which is just flippin' sweet. ;)

Honestly, I haven't noticed a huge difference - my earphones aren't exactly shabby, but they're not what anyone would consider "quality". The few differences that I have noticed, however, have been rather large - MP3 tossing out some parts altogether because of the high-frequency of the instrument.

I figure, I've got a 500GB hard drive - I may as well use it. :D

~ Becoming the Archetype

I had a teacher in my senior year of high school who was like that. He's a veteran and if you bring up anything related to war than he'll go on forever. Easy way to avoid a test. :lol:

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y