@CMD a couple pages ago: Thanks for the info - if you say Notepad++ will work through WINE, that's probably what I'll try (how ironic that an open source project like that doesn't have Linux support :P )

The developer of Notepad++ has a guide here, albeit outdated, so that's the information upon which I'm basing my assumptions.

Anyway, I'm not going to be doing much coding, per say, but instead more graphics. We're redoing a site - me and 3 other guys - they're the fools in charge of re coding everything, and I'ma make it look perty. :)

Heh. Making things look pretty is my primary job as well. I use a text editor because I also handle the HTML/CSS/Javascript stuff, but I leave the heavy PHP programming stuff to the professionals. ;)

As for graphics on Linux, you gotta go with The GIMP. I've found that its performance on Linux is drastically better than GIMP for Windows - less than half the RAM usage, and much quicker start-up. Also, in cases like mine anyway, it's oh-so-useful setting up a 2x2 workspace grid, putting the browser on 1, the text editor on 2, the graphics editor on 3, and the FTP on 4. That way, instead of having to manage window focus on a single monitor area, I can just switch between workspaces as needed (you can customize the keyboard shortcuts for this to make this even more handy).

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Ahh, very smart.

My friend's trying to get an earlier verion of PDN to work (since he tells me you can install earlier .NET frameworks through some sort of emulation)

So maybe I'll stick with it instead. :P

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

I found myself enjoying a Lil Wayne song.. :|

The only songs I listen to with Lil' Wayne are really ones that he's just featured in, and I just end up laughing when he jumps in. Have you ever heard him try to yell? It's just sad.

By the way, not sure what I should remix next. Shiver by Coldplay or, well, Never Gonna Give You Up. What should I do? I'll take other suggestions, too...

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

My friend's trying to get an earlier verion of PDN to work (since he tells me you can install earlier .NET frameworks through some sort of emulation)

IIRC .NET 1 and .NET2 can be installed side-by-side but the version that the application was written for needs to be there. .NET2 and later versions cannot, but later versions are backwards compatible for most applications.

KaHuc.png

On the whole OS discussion thing: Oh, I see: Vista isn't so terribly bad; Windows 7 is better. Does anyone know what program compatibility issues there may be to Windows 7 yet?

I dual–boot Ubuntu also—good fun! And the interface: Finally a system that supports themes, which can be made by anyone! I do miss a few programs while using it. (Actually, to wrap my mind around a completely different setup is probably a good thing now and then.)

Also, I have been impressed by the number of open–source programs available: often there is an open–source equivalent to most any program that one misses.

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

As for graphics on Linux, you gotta go with The GIMP. I've found that its performance on Linux is drastically better than GIMP for Windows - less than half the RAM usage, and much quicker start-up. Also, in cases like mine anyway, it's oh-so-useful setting up a 2x2 workspace grid, putting the browser on 1, the text editor on 2, the graphics editor on 3, and the FTP on 4. That way, instead of having to manage window focus on a single monitor area, I can just switch between workspaces as needed (you can customize the keyboard shortcuts for this to make this even more handy).

The only thing that still makes it uncomfortable to use on my netbook is previewing filters inside their dialogs, rather than the canvas.

KaHuc.png

^Okay, then :)

[...]I dual–boot Ubuntu also—good fun![...]

I remember when I had Ubuntu on this computer... wasn't as fast as I wanted, even though I never really installed anything on it. I had XP running as a VPC, and it performed faster...

Then again, that was a version of XP was the "Performance Edition", which I found at a certain pie-rating bay :wink:

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Also, I have been impressed by the number of open–source programs available: often there is an open–source equivalent to most any program that one misses.

Something I've found to be absolutely brilliant are the Package Manager tools. No longer does one have to go to 15 different websites to get the programs you need before your computer is usable - as long as it's in one of your assigned repositories, just check a couple boxes, and it downloads and installs the programs automagically. It's like the Firefox Addons Manager, only you're "adding on" programs to an OS.

The one problem I'm having now is: I've decided to re-rip all the music that I lost in FLAC or OGG - per CD, depending upon whether or not I like it enough to go lossless - but I'm pretty sure my MP3 player doesn't support either format.

I was looking around for a player that did, and I found the Samsung P3, which looks pretty enticing. Also, my cellphone provider has the Samsung Finesse, which I believe also supports those open formats, and I'm coming up on my "eligible for upgrade" period. :D

~ Becoming the Archetype

Yeah the Package Manager is definitely one of its selling points for me - makes things so convenient and quick.

Regarding your new player - why go FLAC or OGG, specifically? Isn't music from CDs in mp3 already?

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

The CD sound format is something called Red Book.

MP3 is a lossy codec that can be chosen when rendering the track from a disc. It discards some of the sound information to reduce filesize, based on the principle that most humans can only differentiate between a certain number of frequencies anyway. The thing is, no two people are alike, and I've noticed that some tracks have very drastic differences between their lossless and lossy versions.

The problem up until now was that I didn't want to use a proprietary lossless codec. FLAC always seemed like a nice option, but neither iTunes nor WiMP supported ripping to the format, and Songbird, while having support for the format, had no ripping capability. With Rhythmbox, it's the default option.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I was looking around for a player that did, and I found the Samsung P3, which looks pretty enticing. Also, my cellphone provider has the Samsung Finesse, which I believe also supports those open formats, and I'm coming up on my "eligible for upgrade" period. :D

I love my P3, and now Songbird can sync it!

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

What concept, I can't see one :P;)

We had an idea going into it. Maybe not a meaningful one, but an idea.

and thanks kemaru. He did all the rendering, since him and his tablet make it a lot easier to cut stuff out. I think he did a perfect job in it all, but that might just be me. :P He has a very unique imagination that I dream of having. I used my techniques from tag making in it, and it looks like it worked out.