The <off topic> thread

@CMD: I've got a Win 7 Ubuntu dual-boot set up - and have been trying to learn how to use Ubuntu for a web-development project I'm involved with. Seems like great software - different, but I like it

Thankfully, Firefox - and by extension, Firebug and ColorZilla - and FileZilla are both officially supported for Ubuntu - though you have to use the direct Synaptic Package Manager for a 64-Bit version of FileZilla instead of the Add/Remove Applications package management tool, for some reason. However, I was disheartened to find that Notepad++ isn't natively available under Linux - it's a completely open-source project, but it was started and is only officially supported for Windows. I've heard that it works fairly well emulating it with WINE, but I've not tried it yet.

Right now, I'm trying out both Bluefish and Aptana Studio. Both are syntax-highlighting editors, and both have benefits and downsides. Bluefish is nice and lightweight while still including handy things like an integrated file tree and development language reference guides in the sidebar, but it doesn't have things like logical structure highlighting as Notepad++ has - like if you put your cursor on a closing DIV tag, Notepad++ will highlight the opening DIV that particular tag closes, which is brilliant if you're trying to troubleshoot an improperly-nested DIV structure you've inherited from a coworker... >_>

Aptana Studio does include the logical structure highlighting, as well as a file browser and logical Project groupings like Dreamweaver, but it's a resource gobbler like Dreamweaver - I opened it to test a couple things while writing this, and it's currently taking up more than three times as much RAM as Firefox is here, all thanks to the JRE it requires to run.

Bluefish definitely wins out in the ease of install department. The package is available directly through the Add/Remove Applications manager - just click a checkbox and go. Aptana, however, doesn't seem to be anywhere in the package manager, and I didn't find a repository listing of it either. One reason for that may be because it requires JRE, so first, you have to install that - it's available in the "Restricted Extras" package to enable patent-encumbered formats, that is if you haven't grabbed the package already for MP3 playback ;) - then download and extract the Aptana package manually from their website, and put it somewhere - if you want it to show up in the Applications list, then you also have to manually create a launcher for it there and point it to the program.

I haven't used either to any great extent, so I can't say for sure which one I like better, but I'm leaning toward Bluefish at this stage. I'm giving Aptana a shot because D.A told me to, though in his defense, he was probably talking about the Windows version, which is indeed drastically easier to install.

But yeah, that's what I've been using for web development while under Linux. As a system itself, it does take a bit of adjustment, but it was no more confusing than the move from XP to Vista was, and so far it seems to me to be a great platform. In fact, I think I've started annoying a few people with it, since I tend to not shut up about things I like. ;)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

well one computer has windows 7 installed and the other is installing as i type. I have to say it is fast, sleek, and very stylish. Had to do a clean install on one computer and luckily the other i just have to update :D

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

This OS discussion is driving me crazy, I think I'll just create my own in a few years. I won't get any viruses, because nobody would create a virus for one man, so no firewall or virus scanner and all that. And if I'm not satisfied with it, I won't have to call the company.

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

This OS discussion is driving me crazy, I think I'll just create my own in a few years. I won't get any viruses, because nobody would create a virus for one man, so no firewall or virus scanner and all that. And if I'm not satisfied with it, I won't have to call the company.

Good luck with that. You would have to use some sort of base kernel, unless you're extremely good at coding, right? Linux has anywhere from 863 to 1,000 different viruses and malware...

codeembersig.png

-I may have not been here when you passed away, but you will be missed.-

well the first computer i had to do a clean install so that includes putting everything back on it and updating drivers and such. It is quite simple though. The second computer i just had to update and that took forever because it had to copy the files and what not.

Just make sure you have a puzzle to do or play some video games while the installation progress goes on lol....

oh yeah i am loving the desktop slideshow :D

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

Just make sure you have a puzzle to do or play some video games while the installation progress goes on lol....

Yeah I plan on doing something on Xbox Live while I upgrade. I'm hoping it will take around an hour.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

I don't think you Americans are going to like this...

Hulu's free glory days are officially numbered

Meh. I really don't care. I hardly ever go to Hulu. I bet they won't even make much money off of it. :|

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

The colors were really well done, but it just felt random. In a good way though. It was artistic.

@CMD a couple pages ago: Thanks for the info - if you say Notepad++ will work through WINE, that's probably what I'll try (how ironic that an open source project like that doesn't have Linux support :P )

Anyway, I'm not going to be doing much coding, per say, but instead more graphics. We're redoing a site - me and 3 other guys - they're the fools in charge of re coding everything, and I'ma make it look perty. :)

Great job Crimson and tHs - your collab looks very original and professional!

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!