Weird layer selection issues

Hi everyone

First of all, i want to give kudos to the devs for a wonderful program. It has the features i needed without the gimpy cruft that makes for a mountain of a learning curve.

That said, in using the beta release build, i have noticed strange behavior when trying to select layers. Sometimes i'll try to click to show or not show a layer and the whole list of layers will jump back to the top or bottom entry. Anyway, the net effect is that the layer i'm trying to click is no longer the one under the mouse.

The layer window works like this:

When a layer is selected and you click the button to make it invisible, the next lowest layer that is visible becomes selected. (I wish it didn't do that, but it does.)

When a layer is not selected and you click the button to make it invisible, the selection does not change.

When a layer is selected and you click the button to make it invisible, the next lowest layer that is visible becomes selected. (I wish it didn't do that, but it does.)

It didn't used to behave like this -- it used to preserve the selection.

But I received tons of e-mails from confused users, and also found myself regularly confused why my drawing wasn't showing up. So this behavior was changed.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

It's hard to reproduce what i'm talking about, but basically i mean that when i go to click the radio box for layer visibility, sometimes the listing of layers scrolls without the box being checked/unchecked or the layer i'm clicking on being selected, so that suddenly a different layer is under the cursor without any change in the state of the layer visibility.

I'll try to find the specific conditions necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

This problem is very simple to reproduce:

1) Make a new image

2) Draw something on the background layer

3) Make a new layer (Layer 2)

4) Draw something on the new layer (e.g. a red line)

5) Check how it was without the red line (Unselect the Visibility Check Box on Layer 2

6) Show layer 2 again, (Select the Visibility Check Box on Layer 2)

7) Select an area containing a bit of the red line, and hit the Delete button

Now what happened? Instead of modified red line I have a hole in the background!

The problem is that on step 5) above, the next visible layer below (here background) is selected when visibility is turned off on a layer - and I didn't notice...

I find this very annoying and lead to lots of undo's and redo's.

A better approach would be to let visibility and selection of layers to be un-related functionalities. The worst thing that could happen is that I start painting on a hidden layer - but that is not as dangerous as I immediately would see that "nothing happens", so I would either turn on the layer, or undo the last step and carry on.