Why were shortcut keys removed?

In the Paint.NET source, I noticed that there used to be (or at least it looks like there used to be) the ability to make Adjustment Effect plugins have shortcut keys. Just wondering why this was and if there's any chance of it making a comeback in a future version of Paint.NET. Thanks!

Pyro.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I know that some of Ed Harvey's plugins allow for a Shift key constraint on his angle dialog...

That's easy to implement, actually. I'm talking about a shortcut key that would open my effect's dialog from the main pdn form. (Like Ctrl+L opens the Levels dialog)

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Shortcut keys are not allowed for plugins anymore because it is too easy for them to stomp on the shortcut keys that are either already in use, or that we would want to use in the future for anything else.

You'll note that only adjustments have shortcuts now, but that the adjustment itself does not specify its shortcut key. This is specified in the AdjustmentsMenu class.

So, think of it like this. What if every plugin registered for the same shortcut key? It's just not a system that scales.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg