background help

Make a heart border on a new layer! Simple as that!

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Wait a minute and I'll make one for you.

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Long belated, here it is:

request1.jpg

Frame by itself:

heart-frame.png

Well, I actually was whipping it out at about 9:20pm last night, thus the bad, blurry quality. Much better results may be achieved with the method I used.

I drew a circle towards the top left of the canvas, then I drew a slightly curved line from the left hand side of the circle to thee center bottom of the canvas. Like so:

__
|  |
+__+
\
  \

Then, I duplicated the layer, and flipped it horizontally, completing the shape.

__   __
|  |_|  |
+__+ +__+
\     /
  \ /

I tried but it's rubbish! Did the circle then the line, duplicated the layer and did the horizontal flip but it just went to the right side of the canvas and disappeared from the left. No sign of a heart shape. I just don't get it. And it's only black and white. I have no idea how to get the shape or the colours.

Heart.png

Sig1500x145-PDN.png

If I make the layer transparent (checkerboard) by going to Layer Properties and unchecking 'visible' or making the opacity 0, then try and draw something on it, I can't see what I've drawn. No lines are visible. Is this the right way to make a layer transparent?

Sig1500x145-PDN.png

Thank you Cornipsus. I've got that now. So I draw a circle (just to keep it simple) on the left of my transparent layer, then I duplicate that layer and flip it horizontally but the circle still moves over to the right leaving nothing on the left. How come, if I've drawn a circle on left of a transparent layer, then duplicated that layer (which I presume gives me an identical layer on top - transparent layer with a circle on the left), then flip that layer, the circle on the left still disappears and I only end up with one on the right? Surly the circle on the left should still be visible through the transparent duplicate layer which I've just flipped?

This is really confusing me and I know it's something that is going to be really simple and I'm looking stupid, but I can't see it. Anyway, I've been trying to do this for over an hour and getting nowhere, so I'm off to bed. I think that PDN is great, but I get so frustrated at my lack of comprehension sometimes!

Sig1500x145-PDN.png

Boltbait, you were right, I was doing 'Image > Flip'. Anyway I managed to make a rather crappy (to say the least!) heart:

Heart-1.png

Embarrassing, I know but I'm not sure of the correct procedure. Too much free hand work with the eraser etc to make it any good, but it was the only way I could think of doing it.

Thus, I was wondering if any of you experienced PDN guys could put a tutorial up on how to make a heart frame and put a photo in it as in the one earlier in this thread. I think it would be really useful for us less experienced users, especially if the principles could be applied to make other shaped frames as well. I'm videoing my friend's wedding next month and it would be a nice touch to include a photo of him and his wife in a nice frame which I've made. Glynn.

Sig1500x145-PDN.png