Export file

Export option, when I am working in pdn files, I sometimes need to export the file to png, jpeg, gif ... whatever format. And Save as works but it saves the current file so I end up with the flattened jpeg, png in the work space and have to reopen the pdn work file again. So my request is for an export option so I can export the workspace file to a format I chose.

Thanks

That is fine but unnecessary, plus the window title says the filename.png or .jpg which is confusing when you undo.

Right after your finished saving your png, jpeg or gif, just hit Ctrl+Z to undo the flattening . Then you are right back to the image with all of your layers intact...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to use Paint.Net for some professional work, (I frequently need to import finetuned graphics to Visio) but the lack of a proper Export function makes it cumbersome.

I have tried the "Save As" + "Undo" as a substitute of Export, but it is a poor solution as Paint.Net keeps the new "Save as" filename even after the Undo.

So, instead of one "master file", which I export from, I end up with a working document constantly changing name - or I have to Save As and Replace Existing file after every "Save As Jpg" operation... anyway - it's a lot of annoying clicking which easily could have been avoided with a simple Export (or "save a copy") function.

I would just make a point that I feel a dedicated Export function that do not mess around with the layers/file name is a reasonable feature - and I really wish you could find time to implement this.

Thanks and Regards,

Gabe

Gabe, you make a good case for the necessity of this feature.

The main thing would be how to label the feature ... "Export" vs. "Save a Copy" ? What keyboard shortcut do we use? etc. Hardly an intractable problem.

That said, for this next release (after 3.07) we are planning to focus on enhancing and upgrading the file type support. This feature is a good candidate for that release.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

In photoshop it is ctrl alt s. Labeled "Save As (Copy)".

Gabe, you make a good case for the necessity of this feature.

The main thing would be how to label the feature ... "Export" vs. "Save a Copy" ? What keyboard shortcut do we use? etc. Hardly an intractable problem.

That said, for this next release (after 3.07) we are planning to focus on enhancing and upgrading the file type support. This feature is a good candidate for that release.

Well it makes sense that Inkskape would be "Export" because the native format is not bitmap based.

I think "Save Merged(Copy)" would be best just because it sounds kind of simplistic and I could see a newer user(little computer experience) getting what it does without putting too much thought into it...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

My vote goes for Photoshop's "Save as Copy", Ctrl-Alt-S, but I'm more than happy just to get the function - whatever it is called :D

Anyway when implementing this, can you please keep the last used filetype as pre-selected in the Save As Copy Dialog, so that when I need to "Save As Copy" then I do not need to select Jpg (or whatever) every time...

Thanks,

Gabe

The only drawback I see with the "save as copy" label is that the user may expect that the current document is changed to the copy (thus the JPEG file). Perhaps that's exactly what the feature will do, so it's ok.

If the aim of the feature is to keep working on the PDN file (and so just save the PDN file by hitting Ctrl+S even after a "save as copy"), then I think "Export" is a better name.

By the way, hi everybody ! It's my first post on the forum but I use Paint.net (and read the forum) for quite a long time.

Just to clarify my understanding (and wish) for this feature;

1) User is working on a Paint.Net image with layers and all (e.g myImage.pdn)

2) User select “Save as Copyâ€