Save overwrites without asking

When trying to save a layered image to a jpeg (any image format, where image is flattened), the application asks if you want to flatten the image, at which point you can hit yes, and it will save the file without asking if you want to overwrite if that filename already exists.

The Flatten dialog is the last dialog shown before saving. The Confirm Overwrite dialog appears after you've entered the file name.

File -> Save As

Opens Save browser

Enter name and click Save

Asks to confirm overwrite

OK

Opens Quality Chooset

OK

Brings up Flatten dialog

Flatten

Saves File

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

From pdn to jpeg, it doesn't ask me to if I want to overwrite at all. Skips the step completely.

The Flatten dialog is the last dialog shown before saving. The Confirm Overwrite dialog appears after you've entered the file name.

File -> Save As

Opens Save browser

Enter name and click Save

Asks to confirm overwrite

OK

Opens Quality Chooset

OK

Brings up Flatten dialog

Flatten

Saves File

Do you already have a JPG saved with the name of the PDN?

If you have picture1.pdn, and you save it as picture1.jpg, both the PDN and the JPG will be on your drive. JPGs with the same names as PDNs don't overwrite those PDNs. You could have picture1.pdn, picture1.jpg, picture1.png, picture1.gif, picture1.psd, picture1.xcf, picture1.tif, picture1.doc, et cetera all on your computer at the same time.

So, unless you already have a picture1.jpg, you won't be asked if you want to overwrite because you won't be overwriting anything.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Yes there is a jpeg already, I am trying to make a video recording of it.

Do you already have a JPG saved with the name of the PDN?

If you have picture1.pdn, and you save it as picture1.jpg, both the PDN and the JPG will be on your drive. JPGs with the same names as PDNs don't overwrite those PDNs. You could have picture1.pdn, picture1.jpg, picture1.png, picture1.gif, picture1.psd, picture1.xcf, picture1.tif, picture1.doc, et cetera all on your computer at the same time.

So, unless you already have a picture1.jpg, you won't be asked if you want to overwrite because you won't be overwriting anything.

Are you using v3.05 in Windows Vista?

The reason I ask is that this is a known bug. If you have the name typed in without the extension, "filename" -- then when you click Save it will check for a file named "filename" (no extension!), see that it doesn't exist, and proceed with giving the filename back to Paint.NET which then tacks on the extension. I'm in the process of fixing this for the v3.07 release right now.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Yes vista. Correct I didn't add an extension.

That is the problem, I added the extension then it asks to overwrite.

Ok great, since you are fixing it for 3.07. No need to post recording or anything since you know exactly what I am talking about.

Thanks

Are you using v3.05 in Windows Vista?

The reason I ask is that this is a known bug. If you have the name typed in without the extension, "filename" -- then when you click Save it will check for a file named "filename" (no extension!), see that it doesn't exist, and proceed with giving the filename back to Paint.NET which then tacks on the extension. I'm in the process of fixing this for the v3.07 release right now.

Yeah this is going in with several other fixes, including one where 3.05 doesn't let you open from an http:// source, or from a digital camera (or other device) that is not mapped to a file system path (like a drive letter). These only affect Vista. (And these are not bugs in Vista, mind you, these new common save/open dialogs just don't automatically do as much for me as the old API's did.)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg