How to Install Plugins ×

Ed's Egregious Effects [Update 2007-09-15]

Ed Harvey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:!: I've found an interesting bug in fast blur. I used it on two selections, saved the picture - and the entire image was "fast blurred". Also, after using fast blur on a selection, double your layer and you get two blurred layers. Can this be fixed? It makes it unusable.

:idea: Also, Ed, I want to suggest that you remove your "Ed"-submenus. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem to have your name in the UI as I had no problem to have BoltBait's avatar in my effects menu. But keep in mind that your submenus were useful at the beginning, but today they are just unnessecary and even disturbing. Instead move your effects to the appropriate subs, e.g. solorize to "color" and fast blur to "blurs". You did the same with dents (wonderful effect btw). If you are so kind please note that since PDN 3.10 there are new strings for namespaces allowing automatic localization (thanks Rick).

<_<

From the first post:

WARNING: These effects do not work correctly if you have any selection active. They should only be used on whole layers...

This will happen every time. You won't even be able to undo the blurring. It has something to do with the way he implements the blur - it ignores the selection and blurs the entire surface. When a selection is active, Paint.NET takes over enough to only show the blur in the selection, but the entire surface is still blurred behind the scenes, and when the program is called upon to re-render the surface, the rest of the blur is shown.

It's something like that, anyway. I'm no programmer. I can only observe the behavior and make assumptions.

As Ed said, these plugins should only be used on whole layers. You can get around this by duplicating the layer, Fast Blurring the entire layer, using the selection tools to select the area you wanted blurred, pressing [Ctrl]+ to invert the selection, and deleting the extraneous blurred contents.

As to the Submenus, perhaps the Ed-Fects menu could have its contents redistributed, but the Ed-gregious menu has it's own menu for this exact reason.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

WARNING: These effects do not work correctly if you have any selection active. They should only be used on whole layers...

:oops: Shame on me :oops:

But CMD, I thank you for your sophisticated answer. I had short time and obviously hadn't searched the way I should. My bad.

For the subs, I think I will find a solution. At least with PDN 3.20 if Rick fullfills what he've said, and Rick is a very serious person I think.

I have to say that in my eyes it is very sad that all these 1st class effects get only less support and updates. For example, on May 20th Ed said he would do something against this scary thing:

erroroo6.jpg

Meanwhile it's september and we haven't heard anything. Anyway I want to thank Ed for sharing his plugins. Regardless of bugs and the lack of updates they are very professional done and allow impressive things I never want to miss. For good reasons they are sticky'd.

And now I have to go, when I sit longer here to cry I maybe get owned by matt.

I have to say that in my eyes it is very sad that all these 1st class effects get only less support and updates. For example, on May 20th Ed said he would do something against this scary thing:

erroroo6.th.jpg

Meanwhile it's september and we haven't heard anything. Anyway I want to thank Ed for sharing his plugins. Regardless of bugs and the lack of updates they are very professional done and allow impressive things I never want to miss. For good reasons they are sticky'd.

Update will come soon enough, it will be done when it's done.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

From the first post:

This will happen every time. You won't even be able to undo the blurring. It has something to do with the way he implements the blur - it ignores the selection and blurs the entire surface. When a selection is active, Paint.NET takes over enough to only show the blur in the selection, but the entire surface is still blurred behind the scenes, and when the program is called upon to re-render the surface, the rest of the blur is shown.

It's something like that, anyway. I'm no programmer. I can only observe the behavior and make assumptions.

As Ed said, these plugins should only be used on whole layers. You can get around this by duplicating the layer, Fast Blurring the entire layer, using the selection tools to select the area you wanted blurred, pressing [Ctrl]+ to invert the selection, and deleting the extraneous blurred contents.

:lol: Well, I did warn you....

CMD is correct, the algorithm does not (can not) work on irregular selections and the limits of the Paint.Net effects architecture make it impossible to work around this problem.

But that is a trade-off that some may accept for the massive speed increase...

As to the Submenus, perhaps the Ed-Fects menu could have its contents redistributed, but the Ed-gregious menu has it's own menu for this exact reason.

Exactly. The Ed-gregious effects have their own sub-menu because of their potentially damaging side-effects.

But keep in mind that your submenus were useful at the beginning, but today they are just unnessecary and even disturbing. Instead move your effects to the appropriate subs, e.g. solorize to "color" and fast blur to "blurs". You did the same with dents (wonderful effect btw). If you are so kind please note that since PDN 3.10 there are new strings for namespaces allowing automatic localization (thanks Rick).

The new localized sub-menus only exist for 'Blurs' and 'Distort'... :cry:

Hopefully Rick's new plug-in architecture stuff in 3.20 will allow you to do whatever you want, rather than rely on that which I define.

erroroo6.th.jpg

Actually, I thought I had fixed that ages ago :oops:

I don't do updates very often. I have way too many things to do in 'real life'; work, family & other hobbies...

BUT, you will be pleased to know that I sent out a new version of the 'Ed-fect' package to a few select testers at the week-end. Assuming no major problems are found, it should be released later this week :D

ed-sig2.png.3c040e8f8a7b22d05fbfbad8e5ea6994.png

Thank you for your reply, Ed.

I hope I didn't sound rude. My intention was not to be aggressive in any way, my post was rather a statement to express my personal thoughts and not something I believe to be "the truth" and "the way it really is". To be honest, for me your effects are something that are an important and appreciated part of Paint.Net, especially Dents and Surface Blur. Also, I often suggest other people to download and use your set of effects as I see them as a "must have". Then they tell me about the bugs (especially about the window thing) and then I say the bugs would be known and so on. The point is, I tell them these things for months. And most people who are new to Paint,Net think the app itself would be buggy. I decided to post after I haven't seen any reaction from you for a while.

Now I got one and I'm really glad to hear about your forward-steps. :)

The fact that only "blurs" and "distort" have the new strings is no problem in my eyes. You may switch to another language for fun and you will see what I mean. As I don't use every plugin out there (but 90 %, I think), so the superfluous submenus "blurs" and "distort" would vanish if just you, BlotBait (who said he'd update them) and Madjik (I didn't see him for a while, so maybe he has holidays (?)) would do the little update for the namespace strings, and this would be an important gain in space for all non-English users. Also I think if Rick does the work and integrates such new namespaces, they should be used, not just by one, but by all important and serious plugin authors (and you definately fit into this group). It would be piontless, if, for example, you change them but the "blurs"-menu stays there because of BoltBait's feather. The bug with the selection isn't that big problem (I just thought I've found a bug), and the window issue is nothing to die of. Updates for the namespaces would be great, but this is something I don't tell just you, I ask all plugin authors to be so kind. And codelab should be updated, but that is nothing for this thread. Last but not least, you are the author and you decide what to do with your plugins, it is already very nice that you just share them with us. For me, it was just worth a try, and I don't will steal your time anymore concerning this things. :)

Wow, this got long. If you really read all this stuff thanks for that and take a break. :)

EDIT: For the staff: If I wouldn't copy the things I write to notepad I would be forced to write this long text twice as I had to relogin. I posted it already in the thread for the new forum bugs, but this may serve as proof.

Thank you for your reply, Ed.
My pleasure... :D
I hope I didn't sound rude.
Not at all...

I assumed (hopefully correctly) from the phrasing of your comments that English is not your first language, and made allowances in my interpetation :)

EDIT: For the staff: If I wouldn't copy the things I write to notepad I would be forced to write this long text twice as I had to relogin. I posted it already in the thread for the new forum bugs, but this may serve as proof.

TIP: Hit the preview button every few minutes. This keeps you logged in, and lets you quickly see if you have messed-up your tags...

ed-sig2.png.3c040e8f8a7b22d05fbfbad8e5ea6994.png

I assumed (hopefully correctly) from the phrasing of your comments that English is not your first language, and made allowances in my interpetation :)

You're as intelligent as I thought. :) And thank you for all allowances. :D

TIP: Hit the preview button every few minutes. This keeps you logged in, and lets you quickly see if you have messed-up your tags...

Intelligent, as I said. :) This will be a help. :D

It's under Effects > Ed-gregious. Are you sure it's not there?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

you put the .DLL file in C:/Program Files/Paint.NET/Effects, right?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Lattice and Weave still remain in the Ed-gregious sub-menu. I've both overridden the previous version with your new one and also removed them and copied them in as if brand new effects - basically both ways of installing effects. Restarted PDN twice just to make sure this isn't a mistake on my part.

EDIT: also, just this minute, installed as a fresh both of your updated packages and the two effects remain.

:(

Lattice and Weave still remain in the Ed-gregious sub-menu. I've both overridden the previous version with your new one and also removed them and copied them in as if brand new effects - basically both ways of installing effects. Restarted PDN twice just to make sure this isn't a mistake on my part.

EDIT: also, just this minute, installed as a fresh both of your updated packages and the two effects remain.

:(

My idea of a workauround: Close PDN, delete all "Ed"-dlls in effects, install the new ones - only the new ones - and start PDN. If this doesn't help, restart the PC.

I had no problems. :?

My idea of a workauround: Close PDN, delete all "Ed"-dlls in effects, install the new ones - only the new ones - and start PDN. If this doesn't help, restart the PC.

That's what I did in my edit, and it still didn't work.

Hmm, not sure what happened there :?

I've just rebuilt & uploaded the package... try it again - all should be OK now

All is OK now, thanks Ed :D.

• 11 months later...
Ed,

The Atkinson Halftone is great, work fantastic, my question is can the size of the pixels be changed in the produced image easily, I am currently doing a little trial and error with picture of different resolution.

Thanks

Steve :D

Pixel size is relative to your DPI when displaying or printing an image. That said, to increase the size of the dots by comprising each of more pixels, use PdN's Resize option (Ctrl+R) with the Sampling size set to "Nearest Neighbor". Just increase the image size in multiples of 100%...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster