Help! I tried but can't remove the background!

Graco,

if you can supply the photo or image which you are trying to remove the background to it would help.

Sometimes it is difficult if there are a lot of colors in the background image.

Sometimes, you're just going to have to do the erasing by hand.

upload your image at photobucket or image shack.... then put the direct address of the image (not the image page but the image itself), on this board between.

[img*] and [/img*] (remove the asterixes).

This way we can help you a little bit better.

Sage

When in doubt, Try it out.

greenandfire.png

I made this sig file using http://www.anim8or.com and making all of the textures with http://www.getpaint.net

I love freeware.

My photograpic skills are not good and don't really know how to use my camera either. But need to do some flash cards for my girl. All the pics must be clean (only the centre piece and no other distractions to ease learning). So dear all, do forgive my stupidness and please help!

Thanks a million.

You could use the magic wand to take away most of the background

see this tut:

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=3172

It's a hard way because of the shadow.

Easier way is to follow this tut:

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=3434

For the background, add a new layer, fill it with your color, and move it to the bottom on the list of layers...

you can save as whatever you want.

when you click "save as"... there is a box at the bottom of the save wizard which says "paint.ne PDN"... you can click in that to expand to all of your different choices... JUST like any other program ever created.

When in doubt, Try it out.

greenandfire.png

I made this sig file using http://www.anim8or.com and making all of the textures with http://www.getpaint.net

I love freeware.

Ah!!! Why after all the hard work, after I merge the layers and try to save it become a white colour screen only???? Before I merge everything look okay!

Secondly about changing the colour fo the layer, how to? Also for the line colout must it be some colour that did not appear in the pics?

I saw from the tutorial that the person use green line and green back ground. How did he get the green background?

You all must think I am a idoit right! after so much explanation still cannot make it.

To get a green background, create a new layer (bottom right :AddNewLayer: ) and then use the paint bucket tool (left side :PaintBucketTool: ) to make it green. To move it behind the picture, make sure the green layer is selected and then move the layer down (NOT :MergeDown: merge the layer down, but move down...bottom right again...it's the down arrow). Clear as much, eh? :D

You all must think I am a idoit right! after so much explanation still cannot make it.

LOL! :lol:

I won't say that... You're just missing some knowledge and practicing.

This explanation could be strange for experimented users, but it is you avoid you too many actions (you still cannot do). I'll try to guide you with the menu,action or the keyboard shorcuts.

.01 open your picture.

.02 select all (Edit,Select All or Ctrl+A).

.03 copy to the clipboard (Edit,Copy or Ctrl+C).

.04 choose the primary color you want as background.

.05 fill the (still active) selection (Edit,Fill Selection or 'backspace').

now you have one image filled with one color.

==> save your work

(it is a good advice to save very often.

save with the default setting should create a file in .pdn format, all layers are separated.

you could also 'save as...' and give each file name a version number...)

.06 add a new layer (Layer, Add New Layer or Ctrl+Shift+N).

.07 paste your image : we have copied it to the clipboard (Edit, Paste or Ctrl+V).

now your picture is back. but you have a background layer you could see in the layers' windows. as we will delete parts of your picture, we'll see the background layers through the whole (transparency is made by deletion). we'll see that later...

.08 add a new layer (you know: Layer, Add New Layer or Ctrl+Shift+N).

on this layer, we will create the mask to cover then delete the part of the picture you want to remove.

.09 select the tool 'line/curve'. set the brush width to something between 6 and 12.

.10 draw a first line for a small part of the subject. then right click on the medium nodes to change from a straight line to a curved line.

...a if the line isn't well placed over the edge, you could press 'escape' to cancel (or Ctrl+Z to undo).

...b while dragging the nodes be sure to follow the external side of the edge because if the line is covering the subject, this part of the subject will be deleted.

...c when you're happy with this line, press 'Enter' to validate it.

.11 draw another line for a next other small part of the subject.

...a be sure each lines are connected : don't leave empty space between lines' ends, and don't create weird angles at the connection points.

...b for circular edges (like the peach of your sample, you could draw long lines through it and right click on the medium nodes to match the edge. 3 or 4 lines should be enough.

...c use the zoom in/out to be more accurate.

at this point, we have three layers. the top one is outlining the subject of the middle one.

==> save your work

.12 to finish the mask, select the tool 'magic wand' set the tolerance to 0% and (still on the top layer) click inside the outlining (on the subject itself).

.13 invert the selection (Edit, Invert Selection or Ctrl+I).

.14 fill the active selection (you know : Edit,Fill Selection or 'backspace').

we have the mask, and the subject appears alone.

.15 unselect (Edit, Deselect or Ctrl+D). zoom in and move around the edge of the subject to adjust the mask: use the pensil, the rubber, the paint bucket...

==> save your work

.16 when you're happy with the mask, select the tool 'magic wand' and click on it (the mask).

.17 delete the layer with the mask (Layer, Delete Layer or Shift+Del)

your picture is back again, as unchanged, but the selection is still active.

.18 now delete the selection (Edit, Erase Selection or Del).

.19 apply the effect Feather to smooth the cutted edge of the subject.

==> save your work in .pdn format

.20 save as the format you want (.gif, .jpg, .png, etc..), you should be asked if you want to flatten the image, say yes.

your subject is now alone on a background. you've two saved versions in your folder (.pdn, your other choice). if your want to share your work, use to .jpg (or your choice). if you want to modify use the .pdn...

If any trouble, please give the step number where you've got a pb...