Paint.NET vs. Photoshop CS3

MRavioli

I've been using Paint.NET for a while now and ive started to wonder: 'What features does Photoshop CS3 have that Paint.NET doesn't? except of course a 700$ price tag

sig-1.jpg

The coolest Indian on Paint.NET

A fair bit. Magnetic Lasso, anti-aliased selection edges, featherable selections, enhanced selection refinement tools, a Gradient editor, vector paths, Layer Masks, et cetera.

There's a reason PhotoShop is expensive:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop ... /features/

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

how long do u think it will take to integrate all that into Paint.NET without getting sued?

sig-1.jpg

1) I'm not one of the Paint.NET developers.

2) Paint.NET is not a feature-parity replacement for Photoshop, nor is it intended to be.

~ Becoming the Archetype

i see i see.......if its not a feature-parity of photoshop what does Paint.NET have that photohop doesn't?

sig-1.jpg

thank you thank you very much if u feel like it u can remove this topic i've gotten the info i want

sig-1.jpg

http://getpaint.net/features.html

The UI is approachable. That's the most important difference. That, and PDN has a friendly forum with really cool mods. :D

~ Becoming the Archetype

hahaha well.....thank god its free, i lost MS Paint for no reason and i needed this in fact i once tried to pirate Adobe CS2 and got infected with adware for like 2-3 months

sig-1.jpg

CS3 has a huge new feature called smart filters.

check it here

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/features/

A fair bit. Magnetic Lasso, anti-aliased selection edges, featherable selections, enhanced selection refinement tools, a Gradient editor, vector paths, Layer Masks, et cetera.

There's a reason PhotoShop is expensive:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop ... /features/

IIRC Photoshop does not do this:

F6w50697.png

And it has a billion filters and effects, 10x more useful vector drawing, filmstrip support, in addition to the effects it has a billion 3rd party plugins too, a (more) powerful and intuitive interface, compatibility with hundreds of photo devices and formats.

Better colourspaces such as AdobeRGB, CIELAB and a heap of others, colour management.

(Wiki 'em)

IIRC 10-12, even 16 bit colour (per channel) support (i.e. HDR, normal screens only do 8-bit per channel).

What can I say? It's pro imaging software, not a more useful MS Paint.

I just saw in CS3, the clonestamp tool has an option to use up to 5 sources. The sources can be from any open image as well. So you can define (alt click) 5 sources, select which source to use, clone from that, switch to another source, clone from that ... etc.

now that we've settled that dispute what about The GIMP what does it have that Paint.NET doesn't have, and vice versa?

sig-1.jpg

Since I'm just about the only pro-GIMP guy here... :wink:

The GIMP has more of the power of Photoshop compared to PDN, but if you do decide to try it, beware the UI. The interface was made by programmers, and it looks it.

It's not nearly as difficult to figure out as some make it out to be, though. I was listening to one of the TWIT podcasts where one of the casters said it took him several hours to figure out how to crop, resize, and color adjust his photos. Either he's a bold-faced liar or he's a tremendous idiot*... :D

The GIMP has an implementation of vector paths, though it's not vector as one would think it. You can create the path and scale it without quality loss, but the path does not define an object. Instead, you must scale the path, create a selection defined by the path boundaries, then fill a layer with the PaintBucket within the selection.

The GIMP has layer masks, individual channel editing, a gradient editor, soft selections, feathered selections, editable brushes, soft brushes, et cetera. It really is a good program when you take the time to learn it well.

*Edit

Please Note:

This is in no way an attempt to belittle any new users who have experienced difficulty cropping, resizing, et cetera. The caster had indicated previous graphic manipulation experience. As such, I surmised his "several hours" were spent trying to figure out The GIMP's interface. You want to crop your image? Image -> Crop to Selection. How about to scale your image down? Image -> Scale Image. And so on. It's pretty straightforward if you've used graphics software before.

~ Becoming the Archetype