I'm new and I need some basic help with text and layers

I am new to Paint.net. Usually when I get new software, I can play around with it and figure it out. For some reason I am having all kinds of problems understanding the basics of this software. I need help with basic things like:

After I type in text using the text tool, how do I hightlight the text so that I can copy it?

How do I get two pictures to come together, kind of like a collage? Im trying to use layers, but I cant figure it out.

I have tried to go through the tutorials, but I cant find any basic information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

fd

*Get rid of the "im new" part of the title*

To answer some of your questions, for the text tool, once you click out of it, you can't click back on (i think). You have to use the magic wand.

To make a collage, make a large image (way bigger than the images you will be working with) and just post them on that.

I'm still alive!

PDN is not a word processor, it is a Bitmap editor. Once you finalize your text it is just a bunch of pixels like the rest of your image.

I will tell you guys what I tell everyone who asks these kind of questions(And there are a lot! Try searching "text"):

"Always add your text onto its own layer."

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Editable text doesn't make it a word processor. Having editable text means you can change the text you entered. It is an important feature and PDN will have it, and it still won't be call a word processor when it does.

PDN is not a word processor, it is a Bitmap editor. Once you finalize your text it is just a bunch of pixels like the rest of your image.

I will tell you guys what I tell everyone who asks these kind of questions(And there are a lot! Try searching "text"):

"Always add your text onto its own layer."

Well, I'm not sure if I'm stupid or something but I tried again and failed. I was trying to make some gold text from one of the tutorials on the first page. Everything was working well, I set the text's layer to screen like the tutorial said. When I merged the background layer and text layer together, the background completely covered my text.

When I merged the background layer and text layer together, the background completely covered my text.

Were they still two separate layers?

The only thing I can think of is to make sure you're pressing Merge Layer Down (:MergeDown:), not Move Layer Down (:Down:).

If that's not it, perhaps you could post a before and after screenshot, before and after you merged them into each other.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Is the background supposed to have a blending mode applied to it?

Right now, your background is solid, and completely covers you text. When you merge two layers, the currently visible pixels on those two layers are merged into one layer. Since you can't see your text before the merge, the background completely covers the text after the merge.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I think this single post will be immortalized in PDN History!

moc426,

how do I hightlight the text so that I can copy it?

^That sounds a lot like the function of a word processor. Even Photoshop doesn't allow that after the text is finalized(rasterized).

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

You can re-edit text in photoshop. You only can't when you apply filters to it, all though you can apply some effects like drop shadow and what not and still edit it, also look at photoshop cs3 with smart filters.

I think this single post will be immortalized in PDN History!

moc426,

how do I hightlight the text so that I can copy it?

^That sounds a lot like the function of a word processor. Even Photoshop doesn't allow that after the text is finalized(rasterized).

Yes, there are non-destructive effects you can add to any layer in Photoshop, including text layers.

From my experience, any effect located under the Layer Effects button (the rather Flash-like looking "F"-in-a-circle button at the bottom left of the layer window) dynamically changes according to any change of that layer. Applying the effect brings up a configuration dialog where the settings are chosen. The effect is then re-rendered as the layer is changed. For example, if you apply a drop-shadow to a raster layer with a square on it, then paint a line on the same layer with the Paintbrush tool, the newly painted line will get the same drop-shadow effect.

Edit:

Changed redundant sentence structure caused by confusion due to a long, parenthesis-induced break

~ Becoming the Archetype

I am downloading beta which is a 2 day trial, I will try it out, but I think it can apply to any layer, I don't see why it can't. The effects are all dynamic.

Can you apply smart filters to text in CS3 ? What about non-destructive drop shadow?

Haha, 2 days. I wouldn't even waste my time downloading it. But just looking at some of the features :shock: WOW :shock: . It is VERY impressive.

They don't give you any kind of bargain though, it still costs $AUS 1,125 for the full package.

Hmm... I could send my kids to school, or buy some software - hard decision.

sigeb7.png

It said 2 day if you don't have cs2 key but it looks like 30 day.

Anyway you can do it with text. The way it works is it saves the layer to a file when you make it a smart object. So if you want to edit the text, it loads it as a new image, you edit the text, hit save, it reloads it on your text layer.

And its beta, but it has issues on my system, either cause of Vista or my 8800 nvidia drivers which are beta as well. i.e. the image doesn't update I have to move the image child form for it to update the changes.

Er... don't you mean a 30 day trial?