• Germany
    • Netherlands / Holland
    • Other Parts of Eurpoe
    • Australia
    • Great Britain
    • South America
    • North America
    • Africa / Asia

Yes, Ben, you're right... England is a country in the union of Great Britain & Northern Ireland. Like Texas, Utah, New York etc. are states in the United States of America... Hope I cleared that up for some people out there...

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you Ben. Great Britain is just the name of an island in the United Kingdom and the British Isles which happen to consist of Scotland, Wales and England and not Ireland (Northern or otherwise). Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom not Great Britain as it's not part of the geographical landmass. It's all to do with geography rather than territory.

This may sort it out...

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

See the separation of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? We are the United Kingdom consisting of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and Ireland. So in a way England is not the same as Britain.

@Myrddin: Oops... I forgot about that... Ah well...

@Ben: Oh yes, and there's another complication added to the explanation - namely that Scotland want independence, and will probably have it by 2010. Shame. Then the English won't be able to moan about the Scots getting better health care...

...namely that Scotland want independence, and will probably have it by 2010.

I think if/when that happens either Wales or NI will follow suit and when that happens we won't be known as the United Kingdom anymore and the Union Flag will have to change. Actually, to be specific, the flag will have to remove the blue backdrop and white Saltire and we will have to lose the United Kingdom title if Ireland opts out (originally the United Kingdom name came from the two kingdoms (or Crowns as it were) of Scotland and England) - so without them the UK is no more. The flag will lose the red Saltire for Ireland.

It's a very interesting history the UK because even though United Kingdom was originally a union of the two crowns of England (including Wales at that time) and Scotland and brought under one Monarch in the 1600's-ish, the actual states were still independent. It was the Acts of Union in the early 1700's which brought the two states together officially under one roof. The Union Flag also has a very colourful history and is only called the Union Jack when flown on a Jack pole on the bow of a ship when at sea. We did a project on the history of the UK once which is the reason for all this babbling.

I currently live in a small apartment on the second floor of a beautiful building on the corner of Meridian Street and Fall Creek Parkway on the near north side of downtown Indianapolis, which is in the approximate geographic center of Indiana, which is a state in the Midwestern United States of America, a nation near the center of the North American Continent, which is situated on the Northwestern Hemisphere of the Planet Earth.

Most readers of this post will find this information sufficient. If you wish to visit from a more distant location, please read on.

Planet Earth is a terrestrial, life-supporting planet, approximately 93 million miles (150 million kilometers or 8 light-minutes) from its star, designated "Sol." Sol traverses an orbit of nearly 26,000 light-years from the core of its galaxy, a spiral known as The Milky Way.

Intragalactic travelers should have no difficulty finding it. However, if you are planning a visit from a more distant location:

The Milky Way itself comprises half of a binary system - the other half, a galaxy dubbed "Andromeda." This binary system inhabits a loose grouping of galaxies known rather uncreatively as "The Local Group," nearly 10 million light-years in diameter and a part of the Virgo Supercluster, which should be easily accessible to any interuniversal travelers.

The savvy traveler who wishes to visit Planet Earth or any other part of the Milky Way galaxy should be aware of its perilous and uncertain future.

1) The Great Attractor may well swallow up the Virgo Supercluster. A time frame for this event has not yet been established.

2) A collision between the binary galaxies Milky Way and Andromeda has been predicted for some time now; it seems imminent and may even happen sometime within the next three billion years! Earth, along with its solar system, may be ejected during this event.

3) The sun of the planet Earth is set to expand to red dwarf size almost one billion years thereafter (4 billion years from the current date). A complete destruction of the planet is unlikely; however, the sudden increase in heat will likely cause the planet to be uninhabitable.

So you should plan your trip immediately! See the wondrous bounty that is Planet Earth before it is destroyed!

Don't forget your towel.

(What? It never hurts to cover things. If someone from another supercluster is messaging us, I want them to know where they may find us! :-) )

EDIT: Wow, reading back over that...dang, we're tiny. Look at those numbers, those divisions...We are absolutely maniacally small, with the universe around us incomprehensably big... I think if we could all see that, a ton of strife in the world would be eliminated.

@david.atwell:Talk about detailed... might make it easier for me to find now, I've been meaning to take a visit to Earth this year :idea: ...