Sign in to follow this  
FireFly

The Ultimate Free Web Hosting and Domain Name -TUTORIAL-

Through many days of searching pages and pages of Google links and much frustration, I decided at the end of it all to make a tutorial about it so no one else has to get frustrated like I did.

I'm talking about, of course, making a free web page for the whole world to see.

There are 3 ways to do this that I would recommend:

• 50 Megs

• Google Pages

• FspHost.com

Both 50 Megs and Google Pages require no knowledge of HTML or any other internet coding. Both have the option to use HTML coding if you feel comfortable about it as well.

FspHost.com is my favorite because you just upload your files and away you go. This also means you either need an off line web page editor (Microsoft FrontPage, etc.) or know a bit about HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc.

The following section covers step-by-step what to do in high detail.

50Megs

Pros:

• 50MB Storage (Decent)

• Great UI (Best of List)

• Lots of added tools

• Many free scripts

• Customizable domain names

• 7-Day ad free period

Cons:

• Extremely limited with coding (JavaScript, CSS, etc.)

• ADS

• Very limited skins

Step 1: Go to 50Megs.com -> look at screenshot for more details

screen50megsmainmo0.th.png

Step 2: Click on Not a Member and on the next screen, chose the free account.

screen50megsfreenw4.th.png

Step 3: On the next screen, click on Free Sub-Domain, type in the desired name of your site, then choose an ending you like. It does not make a different which ending you chose.

screen50megsdomainxl4.th.png

Step 4: Avoid the temptation of the advertisement if you can and select No, down the bottom of the page.

screen50megsadsplzmw9.th.png

Step 5: Now it’s time for that bit we all hate, filling in forms. Answer all the necessary questions and any others you wish to. When complete, click on Submit at the bottom of the page.

screen50megsformhm6.th.png

Step 6: On the next page, you will see your account details. It might be a good idea to record your password/ account details so you don’t forget them. You can print out the page if you like. Click Next when done.

screen50megsaccountex4.th.png

Step 7: Go to the email account you submitted and check for an email from 50Megs. Find the one that activates your account, and activate it. You will then be taken to the next screen.

screen50megsmenufs9.th.png

Step 8: Once your account has been validated, click on Main Menu.

screen50megsuijz8.th.png

Step 9: In the main menu, you will be greeted by a number of simple tasks you can do to your web page. 50Megs is a very self explanatory hosting service with a little help document if you get stuck. It is very easy to create a nice web page with some simple features. Click on All Tools if you want to see the complete list.

Enjoy your free 50Megs account.

Google Pages

Pros:

• 100MB Storage (Big)

• Friendly UI

• Great account support

• No HTML knowledge required

• Reliable

• Quick to set up

• NO ADS

• Best of my list (for beginners) IMO

Cons:

• Limited code type compatibility (JavaScript, CSS, etc.)

• Bad sub-domain name (Not really, just adding something else to the list)

*Note, Steps 1-5 are to set up a GMail Account. Please proceed to Step 6 if you already have one*

Step 1: Go to Google.com and click on Sign In, in the top right hand corner of the page.

screengooglesigndk1.th.png

Step 2: On the next page you see, select GMail.

screengooglegmaildq6.th.png

Step 3: Click on Sign Up For GMail.

screengooglecreatevo6.th.png

Step 4: Fill in all the required fields of the form you are presented with and any others you wish to. Once complete click on the continue button down the bottom.

screengoogleformpj8.th.png

Step 5: Click on I’m Ready – Show Me My Account to activate your GMail account.

screengoogleacceptrf1.th.png

Step 6: Search on Google, Google Pages, and go to the first link.

screengooglepagesou9.th.png

Step 7: Sign into your GMail account.

screengoogleloginak7.th.png

Step 8: Read all the terms and conditions or scroll down to the bottom of the page. Either way, accept the terms and conditions and click I’m Ready To Create My Pages.

screengooglereadyhc9.th.png

Step 9: You can now see your home page. Google Pages, like 50Megs, is easy to navigate and is very self explanatory. *All names of ‘bars’ I use in the following have come from the screenshot below this*. In the Tool Bar, you can add images, links and change around the font. In the Top Bar, you can publish your page, preview it or go back to site manager. In site manager, you can add more pages, delete unneeded ones and upload files. In the Looks Bar, by clicking on the links, it is possible to change the format/ skin of your entire site or just that page. In the Additional Bar, you can edit the HTML (for more advanced users) or add some gadgets. Gadgets are small bits of script that add things to your page like visitor counter, etc.

screengoogleuilk3.th.png

Have fun making and publishing your Google Pages!

FspHost.com

Pros:

• Fast – a website can be up in 5 mins.

• 250MB Storage (HUGE!)

• Max 50MB/ file when uploading

• Simple and Easy

• NO ADS

• FREE for Commercial Use

Cons:

• Requires knowledge in HTML or a web page editor (Microsoft FrontPage, etc.)

• Almost nil account support

• Average UI

The simplest to set up but the most advanced to use hosting site of the ones listed. FspHost.com is an instant file host which means that there is no need to fill in annoying forms and you can get started straight away. There are some downsides. There are very little options and tools with it, only a file manager. Also, there is not much account support so if you lose your password to your account, it’s gone! Don’t be too worried though, using this method, you can quickly create another account if you lose your old one and upload the files again.

Step 1: Go to FspHost.com. On the main page, the panel you are after is to the right. In this panel, type in your desired username (this will be the name of your sub-domain). Click create.

screenfsphostok6.th.png

Step 2: If the username desired is available, you will be shown your account details.

IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU WRITE DOWN OR OTHERWISE STORE SAFELY YOUR ACCOUNT DETAILS. THERE IS NO WAY TO RETRIEVE THEM IF THEY ARE LOST.

Once you are satisfied that you will remember them, proceed to your account.

screenfsphostaccountyj3.th.png

Step 3: I suggest that you change your password (the panel to the right) to something simpler to remember or write down.

All that is left to do is to upload all the files needed to run your website (HTML files, CSS, JavaScript, Images, Movies, Sounds, etc.) and away you go. Make sure you have an index.html file, otherwise when you go to your site, you will just see a big list of your uploaded files.

screenfsphostuict3.th.png

Enjoy!

Additional Links

Here are some links that will help you in your web page making:

50Megs

Google

FspHost

FireFly – My FspHost Site

HTML Tutorial

CSS Tutorial

Free JavaScripts

Free Image Hosting

I hope this tutorial has made making free webpages a much less frustrating and easier thing to do. ï

1. This should be in the Overflow.

2. But as with all free hosts, you don't get your own domain:

.../one.fsphost.com/KingFireFly/

only a sub-domain.

3. What kind of bandwidth do you get? Do they charge if you exceeded it?

1. Yeah... my mistake, I thought I was there. Sorry. So if a mod could please move it that would be good...

2. Thats right in most cases. Although, some hosts let you use external domain names that you can pay for elsewhere but this tutorial was about FREE domains and hosting, which you have corrected for me as sub-domains, not domains.

3. I'm not sure about how much bandwidth you get. I'm sure it's enough if you just have a smallish site. If you do exceed it, there is no charge, your site may be frozen until the next month's bandwidth kicks in though.

does 110MB allow HTML, CSS, JavaScript or any others?

EDIT: Seems like they do but their severs are conveniently down until 14 April. A few more questions...

Is it possible to make your website entirely from HTML written in say Notepad or is it like Google Pages where you just click and edit the text?

Is it easy to navigate around and if you get stuck is there enough help?

Does it clearly state how to get your website up and running? I've had some bad experiences lately with this one... I sign up, create my sub-domain and then log on and all I see is a huge list of pointless links on the side, somewhere to make databases that I don't know how to do and somewhere to upload files that do nothing unless you do something else that I don't know about!

Heres another free website site. http://www.zendurl.com. I havn't used it or any free website site for a long time, so i dont know what its like now, but heres the features.

500 MB Space

15 GB Bandwidth

2 Databases

2 Addon Domain Names

1 FTP Account

0 Forced Ads on Your Site

MySQL and PostgreSQL Support

Upgradable Plans

does 110MB allow HTML, CSS, JavaScript or any others?

From http://www.110mb.com/plans.php:

- PHP

- XML

- SSI

- Total CGI and Perl scripts support (.cgi, .pl)

Also these:

- CSS, JavaScript, HTML

Is it possible to make your website entirely from HTML written in say Notepad or is it like Google Pages where you just click and edit the text?

Well, I think the safest way is to use an offline editor like notepad. There is also a WYSIWYG editor available but I heard it can delete your tags.

Is it easy to navigate around and if you get stuck is there enough help?

In my opinion, yes. You just log in and click on the file manager link. There you can upload, create and edit your files. Also, if you're using FTP you don't have to use the file manager, you can (if you're on windoze) add the FTP address to your network places and access it like a regular folder.

There is a support forum and you do get help there.

Does it clearly state how to get your website up and running? I've had some bad experiences lately with this one... I sign up, create my sub-domain and then log on and all I see is a huge list of pointless links on the side, somewhere to make databases that I don't know how to do and somewhere to upload files that do nothing unless you do something else that I don't know about!

If I remember correct, it's not so clear (if you're a newbie). Any more advanced users shouldn't have problems. But, as I said before there is a support forum.