[Suggestion / query] Layers subwindow thumbnails, extremely small - enlarge? [Update: same with colors selection box]

Anyone know how I can make the layers much larger, if at all?

It's 2015, I've got 3 monitors here, I'd love to re-size that windows significantly and have either the thumbnails for each layer scale or go into the options and tick the box "big layer thumbnails" and "really <No cursing.> big, layer thumbnails"

It's nearly 2016, 4k monitors will be common place for graphics guys in 24months.

Thanks all, really appreciate the work on this app regardless.

Edited by hamwizard
No cursing.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When you adjust the DPI setting in Windows, all of Paint.NET will scale up as well.

It's nearly 2016, 4k monitors will be common place for graphics guys in 24months.

And if you're using a 4K monitor then you're probably adjusting the DPI upwards, too.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Please don't take this as rude, but almost no one changes the dpi settings in Windows, because it makes a giant mess of things in many MANY other applications.

Regardless of my 4k comments, I have quite regular displays and the thumbnails are tiny, 30" Dell 2560 and 24" Dell, 1920

Also, some users may want large Thumbnails, some huge thumbnails and some are fine with them how they are now. Having to manipulate the entire Windows dpi settings for one app seems a bit f a bad solution.

If I could code, I'd gladly help, I can't :( but as it stands, I would say they are at least 50% too small. They should just scale with the size of the layers box? I've got 3 displays, I'd love to maximise the entire layers box on a second display and just have them huge, personally.

• Like 1

Too small? They're called Thumbnail Images for a reason. :P

I also would like to see some sort option (automatic or manual) to increase the size, other than adjusting DPI.

My monitors only support 1920x1080. At that resolution, HiDPI is only useful for people with vision problems, or if the screen is like 13".

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 2 weeks later...

Even if paint.net had it's own way for things to be larger, such a thing probably wouldn't be able to be implemented immediately, it could take many months or even a year. 
So, with or without paint.net getting a new visual custom feature, for right now I think you only have two choices, increase your dpi to make things easier to see, or change your screen resolution.

And by the way, I think I read somewhere that you can disable dpi for specific applications. So for the applications where it doesn't function correctly, you can right click or something to turn the DPI off for that one program. I think you can right click on a program > go to compatibility > check-mark disable high DPI.

I totally realise that it won't be fixed instantly, I was just venting frustration.   What I'm *actually* looking for with this thread, is confirmation from the developers "hey, that's a good idea, it's on the list"   as it stands, there's no clarification here that anyone besides the users care.

Rick is the developer of paint.net. He has read your request.

There are many requests made. Some are even demanded. Others arise out of insufficient knowledge of the application or ingorance of programming. Fix this. It must do that. Rick gets them all.

Rick has seen this thread. Don't mistakenly think his silence is because you're being ignored. If Rick thinks your idea has merit AND fits into the structure and development plan it might be implemented.

Note: The Colors box itself is also quite small, the 2 primary / secondary colour boxes themselves are small to work with.

I've got 20/20 with my glasses on, I'm approximately 1.3' from a 30" Dell @ 2560x1600, I would hazard a guess, the boxes are only .5"x.5"

Rick, I do appreciate the work regardless.  I imagine working on the UI would be ..not a pleasant experience as a coder.

EDIT: I've taken to using my 30" Dell at 1280x800 to make it a bit easier.  1/4 resolution

Edited by hamwizard

hamwizard, You've been heard ... the devs (me :) ) do care about this stuff. But there's a queue of stuff to do that's at least a light year long. It'll probably happen, just need to be patient. I've been trying to wrap up a 4.0.7 update first that has a ton of bug fixes and major performance improvements. I've also been trying to enjoy some holiday vacation time and stuff. And I have day job. Be glad I'm not a parent yet, I suppose.

Windows' handling of DPI is notoriously "awful", but it's worth trying. You may find that it's good 'nuff and helps alleviate your problem. I use a large monitor myself, an HP zr30w 30" 2560x1600, although now I've moved to an Acer X34 (34" 3440x1440).

And, setting WIndows' DPI scaling to 200% will be precisely the same as running at 1/4 resolution (1280x800) except things won't be blurry. Some apps will be, most won't. It should work very well though. It's the other "high DPI" settings like 125% that generally don't look very good.

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I have this exact same problem with not being able to see what I am looking at with the Layers Thumbnails which are TOO SMALL.  

I noticed this thread started back in November 27, 2015.    It's now 2021 and i am looking for a setting in User Interface to enlarge the Thumbnails - OR - a Plug-In that does it.

Is there a status update on this issue?

23 hours ago, Imaxinar DM said:

Is there a status update on this issue?

Name your layers. Works every time ;)

namedlayers.png

@Ego Eram Reputo: I already name my layers - and the POINT of my message is the Thumbnail size

@Rick Brewster: Thank you for the suggestion but screen resolution has NEVER fixed this problem, believe me I have tried ..

This has been an GUI issue since 2015 - 6 years.  This cannot be that hard.. Please enlarge them, or offer a scaling factor for them.  Even the scaling of the image vs the Transparent checkerboard is wacked.