Change the default save file type

Paint.Net wants me to save every file as a PNG by default. I want save everything as a JPG.

Can I change the default so I don't need to change the file type each time?

Photoshop saves every new file as the last file type saved. Is this a feature I can enable?

Saving your stuff as anything but .pdn, .png, or .bmp is like taking a pistol, pointing it at your foot and pulling the trigger..

..Not sure about the whole "changing the default" thing. Someone else may be able to help you there.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

This has already been asked, but i will tell you anyway.

Click File, Save As, the this will come up. Select the drop-down box and choose your type.

Saveas.png

[Edit] Wait, you want to change the default?

I don't know how to do that.

ESSig7UltraPng.png

You can always type in your extensions...

To answer your question... Nope, there currently isn't a way to change the default.

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Saving your stuff as anything but .pdn, .png, or .bmp is like taking a pistol, pointing it at your foot and pulling the trigger..

..Not sure about the whole "changing the default" thing. Someone else may be able to help you there.

If you don't have an answer I'd appreciate if you didn't reply... but I did try saving in those other formats, and here's what I found:

BMP = 1.944 MB

PDN = 2.275 MB

PNG = 1.567 MB

JPG = 0.540 MB (@ 100% Quality)

I scan a lot of pictures, and the file size counts. JPEG is still the most bang for the byte, and most compatible with all my other apps, PMPs, etc.

You can always type in your extensions...

To answer your question... Nope, there currently isn't a way to change the default.

I've also found that if I type the ".jpg" extension while I save, but the file type is still set to PNG, it saves the file without opening the JPEG compression setting dialog, which leads me to believe it's saving the file as a PNG with the wrong extension.

I just confirmed this by saving the same file, but manually selecting "JPEG" from the drop down. It then gave me the compression dialog box, as well as a file that was a third the size.

This is actually a bug. The program should force the proper extention on the file. Can I move this post to the "Bugs" section?

Rick already knows about the extension thing, so there's no need to move the thread.

I pointed this out some time ago, but Rick can't decide the best way of handling it, or something like that. :P

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

JPG "@ 100% Quality" is still lossy. Also, those numbers vary from image to image. PdN in addition supports layers and a bunch of other info.

My point exactly.

Also, advising you to ditch using jpeg for archiving your scanned images is probably the best answer you will get. So, forgive me for trying to help you out man...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

• 10 years later...

Yup. 10 years later and my stance on this is still the same. There have been numerous threads on this over the year, and I've explained my reasoning several times in them. Searching google for "default save type site:forums.getpaint.net" should find a handful of these.

I really recommend learning the keyboard navigation which will make this so much easier:

Ctrl+S (Save) or Ctrl+Shift+S (Save As)

Type in the name you want (if necessary)

Tab (switches to the dropdown for the file type selector)

J (selects JPEG)

Enter (same as clicking Save)

Enter (confirms the Save Configuration dialog)

Once you learn and practice the chord for this, things go a whole lot faster . Even if there was an option to select the default file type, you'd only be saving the Tab, J portion of this.

I'm closing this thread. Replying to 10 year old threads is not really the best.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg