VERY newbish question about layers

Hi everyone

I'm really having trouble with making layers, even after reading the help section. I really don't understand the 'add new layer' option. The checkerboard pattern covers my background, but I haven't even chosen an image for the layer. I try to use the 'import (new layer)' option, but the new layer is listed as a 'background'.

I'm really lost, can someone please give simple how-to? At the moment I just wish to add one layer onto one background.

First off, the "checkerboard pattern" means that there is nothing in the canvas.

Layers add the ability to stack different images on top of each other. The first layer in an image is always going to be the background. anything you add onto a new layer will "cover" the background. Only the layer selected(highlighted) in the layer window can be modified at any given time.

Here is the how to part:

Open you image in PDN. It should be listed as the "Background". If you click the little + symbol in the layers window it will add a new layer on top of your background. Any non-transparent pixels you add to this new layer will cover the image on the background.

I'm not sure exactly what it is you are trying to achieve so this is the best I can do for now.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

The Layers > Import from File always import a layer named '[name of your file] (Background)' cause in case of you import a multi-layer file,

it will be '[name of your file] [layer's name]'.

Hope this help.

PS: can you rename your post for something more ... meaningful? "I don't understand layers" or something will be perfect. Thanks.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I'm just trying a bit of photographic manipulation, just wanting to put a transparent layer in front of a full color background.

So I take it I just open the background image, select 'add new layer' and then select 'import'?

...So I take it I just open the background image, select 'add new layer' and then select 'import'?

Not exactly. I think you can skip the "Add New Layer" step and just go to Layers > "Import to new Layer", that should do it for you...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster