Uexpectedly great! Can I keep it?

Crazy Man Dan

I assume what you mean is that, when saving in a format that supports alpha, those portions of the image are transparent?

You could try creating a layer behind everything that is filled with the color you desire to be your background color. That would cover up the exposed alpha-only pixels, removing the transparency from your final image.

If I didn't understand your problem properly, let me know,

Dan Larson

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I see. Well, that's easily fixed.

*turns around*

So you're looking to keep the transparency, eh? In order to do that, you have to save it in either .gif or .png. (Judging from your first post, I would assume you already know that, but I thought I'd throw it in there just in case...) .gif supports only 1-bit transparency, so in order for it to save as transparent, the pixel would either have to be completely transparent or have an alpha value below that which you specify with the threshold setting in the save dialogue. But then you'd have a fade with white behind it with a sharp cut-off to completely transparent. .png supports 32-bit transparency, so your image will smoothly fade into whatever is behind it.

Now, in order for it to appear transparent, there would have to be something behind it to see. If you're using it as, say, a desktop background, it wouldn't look like that part was transparent. If you were using the file on the web, you'd have to view it in a browser other than Internet Explorer to see it as transparent (if using .png). If you want to use it over another file, you can save it as .png and import it into the new one, and your transparent parts should be transparent.

Let me know if any of that helped...

<_<

Dan

~ Becoming the Archetype

Alrighty, now that I'm on my own computer, I can experiment and see what exactly it is you're describing.

And so I'm able to see what's going on. With the "Darken" blend setting, any white portions of the image are transparent, and any black portions are completely black, with shades of grey being of various alpha levels, while also darkening the image on the layer beneath them.

So I tried it out, and I can reproduce your issue every time. When the image is flattened, it seems that the program takes the layer's pixels (what's actually on the layer) instead of the displayed pixels (the alpha values left after the blending mode is processed). Even if the image is on one layer (flattened to Background and "Darken" applied to Background), when the file is saved, again the layer pixels are exported instead of the displayed pixels with the alpha values.

I tested, and transparency does work with .png, but alpha made via blending modes does not appear to be saved if it bleeds through to the background transparency (checkered pattern). Blending modes on top of other layers still affect the image properly.

When saved, this is the behavior I notice with each mode:

Normal: Shows normal image

Multiply: Shows normal image

Additive: Shows completely white image

Difference: Shows inverted image

Screen: Shows completely white image

Lighten: Shows completely white image

Darken: Shows normal image

In all of these tests, any portions of the image that were transparent in PDN when saved and after saving were not transparent in the saved .png image. If a portion of the image is deleted (using the Delete key) and the checkered background shows, it is saved as transparent, but any portions transparent via a blending mode are exported as a regular layer would be, even in the same save that exported the deleted pixels as transparent.

So, you weren't doing anything wrong. This seems to be an issue with the way Paint.NET exports the image. We'll have to let Rick take a look at this one...

also, firefox all the way

Rawk! I've met a smart person on the internet!

I use FireFox myself as well.

Well, that's all for now,

Dan

~ Becoming the Archetype

Dang it, you guys are finding too many bugs. Tom identified and fixed the problem for the Normal blending mode awhile back, but we hadn't looked at the other blending modes yet. I sorta already knew about this one (it happened to me once with Multiply), but didn't think it was high enough priority to worry about at the moment.

Anyway, I was able to repro the problem:

1. Create a new image

2. Use the eraser tool, preferably with a high brush size (how about 30?) and draw some kind of squiggle or whatever.

3. Set the only layer's blend mode to Darken.

4. Create a new layer, but then move it to be "below" (i.e. "above" in the Layers window .... yeah yeah we'll change that in a future version :))

5. Image -> Flatten

6. OOPS

Bug filed :?

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg