deleting this background!

papillon95

mcqueen33.png

I made this by using the magic wand to to remove the background area and then making a mask using blur and levels adjustments.

This too like 5 mins. I could clean it up by making better selections and different blur/level settings.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

I made this by using the magic wand to to remove the background area and then making a mask using blur and levels adjustments.

Hey barkbark, could you clarify what you mean by this? I understanding using the alpha mask, are you saying that you took the outside, blurred it, made it black and the head white, and then used that as an alpha mask on the original picture?

Hey barkbark, could you clarify what you mean by this? I understanding using the alpha mask, are you saying that you took the outside, blurred it, made it black and the head white, and then used that as an alpha mask on the original picture?

Thats almost exactly what I did.

Here are the steps:

1. Open image and duplicate.

2. On the top layer use the Magic Wand and the Lasso tool to select as much of the background as possible.

3. Fill that background selection with white.

4. Invert selection to get just the desired object and fill with black.

5. (optional) Set blending mode of top layer to "additive". This is just so you can get an idea of how the mask is gonna look. It helps later when making levels adjustments.

6. Gaussian blur top layer 2px.

7. Use the Levels adjustments to make the lines more crisp. Raising the black input level make the mask's selection area larger, and lowering the white input level makes the area smaller. Changing any one of these settings too much will make it look aliased or choppy.

8. Copy the top layer and paste it into a new image with the same dimensions, then save that as the mask and use it on the original image. Because we used white on the background and black for the selection we need to have "Invert Mask" checked in the Alpha Mask dialog.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

thanks for that barkbark, i never thought about using the alpha mask plugin for this kind of stuff

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

Me neither barkbark...thanks for the "expert tip". :D You know what, that would be an excellent feature for Paint.Net in the future...a section in the help that has a "Tips and Tricks"-esque feel to it. I understand that this is kind of what the forum is about, but there's always questions that keep coming up that could be answered...?

You know what, that would be an excellent feature for Paint.Net in the future...a section in the help that has a "Tips and Tricks"-esque feel to it.

I'm planning to do that type of thing on the Paint.NET Wikibook.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb