How to Make Pearls?

Marilynx

I gave the tahitian pearl a go too :)

I like that. It almost makes me think of a scrying glass made of obsidian, as well as having a pearl effect. I'm curious as to how you achieved it.

<grin> Eli had one technique. PDNoob had another. You have yet a third. I really would love to know what steps produced each effect. Because I can see all sorts of applications for each differing type of pearl.

Difficult subject. Good results Eli, Limon and Marilynx.

Here's my effort... the 'black' pearl looks more like a ball bearing!

(Quite pleased with the mother of pearl texture though).

Wow! That shell as a backdrop for the pearls is great. How DID you get the mother-of-pearl effect? I like both pearls... and am wondering how each one was created. The black one could be a ball bearing -- or it could be a globe of hematite.

I like the raked sand backdrop and the texture on the outside of the shell, too. I'm going to need to work on backgrounds.

I usually don't know how I'm going to make something until I've finished it and then I normally forget the steps taken.

Very roughly the steps for mother of pearl involved:

Clouds, Dents (large scale), Emboss and Contour (to get some rainbow colours).

I think I also duplicated the layers and slightly moved them and used the overlay blend mode.

OK those instructions are far too vague to help, sorry... it would be a huge tutorial even if I could remember.

You're welcome to use this texture if that helps.

C91w7Sr.png

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I usually don't know how I'm going to make something until I've finished it and then I normally forget the steps taken.

Very roughly the steps for mother of pearl involved:

Clouds, Dents (large scale), Emboss and Contour (to get some rainbow colours).

I think I also duplicated the layers and slightly moved them and used the overlay blend mode.

OK those instructions are far too vague to help, sorry... it would be a huge tutorial even if I could remember.

You're welcome to use this texture if that helps.

Hmm. I got this, and without looking at the history, I couldn't tell you what I did either. I ended up with more towards the teal than a proper opalescent.

PearlescentTexture.jpg

And, since the origin of this thread was to create a Talisman with an enormous Tahitian Pearl (well, and pearl DNA chains), I ended up with this:

I was trying for a silver and platinum effect on the dragons, and I think I went a little overboard on the beveling depth. (This is using a multi-layer version of BarbieQ25's jewelry technique.

Also, the black pearl doesn't have any 3D affect to it, I tried a couple of light dots, and didn't like the way mine came out.

DragonNecklace02.jpg

I like that. It almost makes me think of a scrying glass made of obsidian, as well as having a pearl effect. I'm curious as to how you achieved it.

<grin> Eli had one technique. PDNoob had another. You have yet a third. I really would love to know what steps produced each effect. Because I can see all sorts of applications for each differing type of pearl.

I guess there are more than one way to skin a cat ;) For the first time ever I actually took some notes while making that pearl, so if you want, I can PM you a deciphered version of those notes. Or I can make a tut if anyone else is interested. 

Edited by Limon

Oh, because I am allergic to things I do not want to do. *Cough*

- Michael J. Caboose

I guess there are more than one way to skin a cat ;) For the first time ever I actually took some notes while making that pearl, so if you want, I can PM you a deciphered version of those notes. Or I can make a tut if anyone else is interested. 

I would very much like to have those notes -- and perhaps later, when you have a chance, the tutorial might be nice. I'm trying to work my way through ten different Talismans, and I'm going to be eyeing techniques that can be combined here, there, and everywhere!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a suggestion for black pearls. The reflected image was from a Google image search of "elegant rooms." I'm not sure it was the best choice, but it will serve to illustrate the idea. The technique is to make a circular selection from the room (or whatever) photo, then reflect it onto a sphere using my old standby, Texture Shader. I probably should have done something more imaginative for the background, but I was in a hurry.

BlackPearl3_zpsrko3rmcz.png

Edited by MJW
  • Upvote 2

Here's a suggestion for black pearls. The reflected image was from a Google image search of "elegant rooms." I'm not sure it was the best choice, but it will serve to illustrate the idea. The technique is to make a circular selection from the room (or whatever) photo, then reflect it onto a sphere using my old standby, Texture Shader. I probably should have done something more imaginative for the background, but I was in a hurry.

That is a very cool effect. I have your Texture Shader, and it's obvious that I need to play around with it. In fact, it may be the solution to something else I am tinkering with.

Feel free to ask any questions you have about the Texture Shader. It's a rather complex plugin, though I think once you understand how the features fit together, you'll find it's not too difficult, and can do quite a few things. The sphere for the pearl is the 24-bit sphere from my original comment in the Texture Shader thread.

Eli and Red ochre! So beautiful and creative work! Thank you very much.  :cake:  :mtdew:

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

MJW, really nice result, the reflection is great! I really need to play around with Texture Shader, when I figure out how to use it... :lol:

Made an attempt at a new black pearl just a couple of days after my first one, and ended up with a very nice result... and permanently merging all of my "note layers" into a complete mess  :roll:  Finally backtracked all of the steps today!

Precious%20Beach2_zpsoesxh6zq.png

• Upvote 1

Oh, because I am allergic to things I do not want to do. *Cough*

- Michael J. Caboose