Can't upgrade 3.0 to 3.0X- Staging weirdness

Alph Tech / STUART

When it installs the new version, it can't find the MSI package for the last version. The PaintDotNet_######## number it gives for the 3.0 installer is different than the number the existing one has. When I browse to that MSI, it tells me it's not a valid PDN 3.0 installation package.

• 2 months later...

Could I have an installer for 3.0? It's telling me I need the one with MSI product code GUID: {816A0870-6EC0-4DFF-B97C-E2CF820D7D6C}.

3.07 is the newest version, you shouldn't need a 3.0 installer.

If you're having install, uninstall, or upgrade trouble, then read the sticky post in this forum, "Are you have trouble..."

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

3.07 is the newest version, you shouldn't need a 3.0 installer.

If you're having install, uninstall, or upgrade trouble, then read the sticky post in this forum, "Are you have trouble..."

It's a problem with the staging. It's asking me to find an MSI I don't have and have likely never had.

I'm not trying to upgrade from a version before 2.6. I currently have 3.0 and can't upgrade to 3.07 or anything. I can't uninstall 3.0 either.

Edit: AAAAARGH

• 2 months later...

Rick,

You are correct that the sticky note does provide the solution. However, even though the title refers to installation problems as well as uninstallation issues, the text speaks almost exclusively to uninstall issues. I realize now that that was the source of the problem, but lots of your users are not likely to realize that and think the sticky post is irrelevant. After all, the problem crops up during installation. The unsophisticated user like me may not be focusing on the fact that uninstallation is part of the installation process, particularly since the problem doesn't show up in the process until after the uninstallation portion appears to be complete.

My recommendation would be to clarify point 2 of the sticky post so that people can see that it applies to installation problems which involve the message that a resource cannot be found and also include something about if you're having issues with msi files, this is the solution.