Drawing a Gemstone

Ash

How do you do step four I can do the stuff before it but I can't figure out how to do step four help plz.

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer." -Ralph Waldo Emmerson

"A single enduring statement can grant immortality." -Author Unknown (This is what we call "Irony")

new_signature_by_falltodarkness-d3i6it7.jpg

Yes the one after you use the Xor property on the layer.

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer." -Ralph Waldo Emmerson

"A single enduring statement can grant immortality." -Author Unknown (This is what we call "Irony")

Thanks.Sorry but I have one more question. How do you make it all clear like that after getting the shape? Plz help and sorry to be a bother.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome tut! Would be helpful if you added how to make the gem 3D :wink: .

GuhhtarrPlayyurr14.png

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice outcome, I really like the way to make the texture combining gradients and blend mode. Thanks!

gemstonepurple.th.jpg

Edited by Helena

• 3 months later...

A description of how you did this would be most helpful. I was not here, being a newbie, when the tut was written and going to that forumer place is an exercise in futility as I can never find what I'm looking for. For us beginners knowing how to start it is kind of important. An excellent tutorial it is. Even a zoom would help.

• 10 months later...

I had a hard time reproducing the facets, especially if I tried to change the gem's color. I read somewhere in this forum that gem facets are hard to reproduce in PDN. I wondered why the PDN gems I'd seen lacked them. Anyway, I thought I had posted this, but I don't see it here. It's not perfect, but I got the idea okay. Thanks for this tut.

th_newgem.png

• 6 months later...

Hey this looks cool, however I am new to Paint.net and cannot get past the first two screen prints. I have been trying for ages and I cannot get gradients to look anything like those in the tutorial. Can somebody please explain how to achieve those gradients?

signature1small.png

Ok, assuming you have black set as your primary color, and white as the secondary color (the default setting when you start Paint.NET):

Step 1: Select the Gradient tool

Step 2: Choose the Linear (Reflected) gradient option.

Step 3: Click near the center of the canvas and drag the mouse towards the top left corner.

yhsjjie-33.png

Second screen is the same Gradient tool and option, but this time right click near the center of the canvas and drag towards the top right corner.

yhsjjie-34.png

• Upvote 2

Ok, assuming you have black set as your primary color, and white as the secondary color (the default setting when you start Paint.NET):

Step 1: Select the Gradient tool

Step 2: Choose the Linear (Reflected) gradient option.

Step 3: Click near the center of the canvas and drag the mouse towards the top left corner.

yhsjjie-33.png

Second screen is the same Gradient tool and option, but this time right click near the center of the canvas and drag towards the top right corner.

yhsjjie-34.png

Thank you. I appreciate it.

signature1small.png