How to Install Plugins ×

VTF Plug-In (1.1.0)

Nem

Great, my sister will love this. She use to have to go about a really round about way to get her sprays into many mods, like The Hidden.

Thanks,

Bleek Da Sneek

I was just playing with the plugin and I have to say "WOW"! Even though I don't know what half the stuff does it looks great. I also see that there's an option for "Animate Layers", which to my knowledge makes this the first format that lets Paint.Net save animated images! I would like to see this happen with .GIF files and even more I want to see an .MNG plugin!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mng

Although I should be able to write one myself in a few years it would be cool to see one in a time frame closer to the present. Now if I could just get browsers to support MNG by default I'd be all set...

Great Work,

Bleek Da Sneek

Someone made a .cur .ico and .ani plugin, and .ani is an animated cursor, so i dont think this is the first animation plugin, but i agree, i want to see it for .gifs

siggy-1.png

Dude i have waited many moons for this sort of thing to come out, skining for source is a pain in the backside with all the backtracking needed.

1 question however, will it allow you to edit existing VTF's ? or do you have to go through all the other stuff just to look at it?

untitledvu7.jpg

1 question however, will it allow you to edit existing VTF's ? or do you have to go through all the other stuff just to look at it?

It will allow you to open and save single or multiple frame .vtf files (where each frame is a different layer in Paint.NET). It will also open environment maps and 3d textures, but only the first face/depth layer will be loaded and saved. It will also generate mipmaps for you, but you can't edit or view mipmaps. Several minor options in VTFEdit are also missing.

Overall it's a lot more flexible than vtex, however, it assumes a greater understanding of the technical details. The templates are there to simplify things, so if you're not sure what to do, selecting a template will choose appropriate options for you.

And thanks Bleek II. :)

Nem

I've installed the plugin, but I don't think I'll use it. I guess that's what happens to most of the plugins here...

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

nem does this work to make sprays transparent? been waiting for something like this for a while... thanks

Yes, just select the "Spray With Alpha" template.

This is a File Type plugin. It should be placed in the File Types folder in your installation directory, and it will show up as a selectable file type in the drop-down once you click "Save."

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I've released a small update (v1.0.1) to a bug where the user selected flags weren't being saved, just the generated flags. I also improved automatic flag selection (based on other options).

Nem

Nem- this is a great plugin! Thanks!

However, it doesn't appear to be x64 compatible! (I have followed the instructions on both an x32 and x64 install, only the x32 Paint.NET works with the plugin. The x64 doesn't show the option to open/save as VTF.) [Did it via my work computer. =)]

Anyway, I hope you'll have something to resolve this some time! Hopefully it's possible!

Thanks again for this great plugin!

The plug-in uses a library I wrote called VTFLib which is a native 32-bit library. If I get a change I'll try to convert VTFLib to 64 bits and update the plug-in, but in the mean time its going to have to be 32-bit only (I'm quite bogged down with other projects).

Sorry,

Nem

The plug-in uses a library I wrote called VTFLib which is a native 32-bit library. If I get a change I'll try to convert VTFLib to 64 bits and update the plug-in, but in the mean time its going to have to be 32-bit only (I'm quite bogged down with other projects).

Sorry,

Nem

Thank you Nem! Don't at all be sorry! If it wasn't for you, this plugin wouldn't be available 32-bit or 64-bit!

Thank you again Nem! And thanks for using your free time to help out the community!

I can't sticky this plugin unless it's compatible with 64-bit :)

Nem, if you get around to making the 64-bit VTFLib.dll, you can follow the directions I gave Dean for making his DDS plugin 64-bit compatible: http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1637

It looks like you have many more P/Invoke calls than his does, so it will probably be good to use a code generator to create the C# code. (And by "a code generator" I just mean you would write your own little C#/C++ command-line exe to do the job, not that there is one already made for it.)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Great plug, makes modding HL2 all that much easier.

One thing; if i tick "animate layers", it just crashes. I tried with a previously animated vtf too, same error.

Image data allocation for animated files was done on the stack (I didn't know another way to do a unmanaged multi-dimensional arrays in C#). I've thought of a workaround however, care to give it a try (only the pointer array is done on the stack now)?

Let me know if it works, otherwise, any useful error message you can send my way?

Thanks,

Nem

• 4 months later...

The Orange Box, which contains Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode Two, has hundreds of new textures available for the upcoming TF2 beta (starting Monday). These textures are of a new version (v7.3), as such, I just thought I'd let anyone interested know that v1.0.3 of my Paint.NET VTF Plugin has been released with full VTF v7.3 support.

Nem

• 2 months later...

Hey, just wondering if you had found time to do any converting... Or if it was too much of a chore to do 64-bit support.

Also, Rick, know if you can add an option to Paint.NET to force 32-bit mode on next boot? It'd be helpful with plugins like this so we don't need to install the dev tools to get around issues that this and other plugins cause.

• 4 months later...