change which layer is "background"

treetopper

I searched for this but didn't see it as a feature that exists or has been requested before. So hopefully this is copacetic.

Currently when you open an image and add more images to it as layers, the first image is your background. When you enlarge the canvas, the background of the new area that's been added has the background color in your palette.

Problem: If you want to have all of your layers transparent but you don't want to see that checkboard as the background, you need to create a new layer, move it to the bottom, and color it white. But if you enlarge the canvas, your new background doesn't take the background color in your palette -- your first image layer does. So you need to delete the color from the first layer and add it to your chosen background layer.

One workaround -- which I read about here and hope to remember for next time! -- is to copy the first image to a new layer and make that original first image layer into your background (flood it with white).

Request: What I suggest instead is the ability to select which layer is the background (meaning, it will fill with the background palette color when you enlarge the canvas). Perhaps a checkbox in the layer properties window? Also, a little icon on the layer palette (or is it called window?) that indicates which layer is the background would be nice.

Edited by treetopper

I usually make my secondary color transparent in the "more " section of the colors window when importing another image.  That gives me room to shrink, expand or move that layer and then crop to the original selection size.   ;)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

I usually make my secondary color transparent in the "more " section of the colors window when importing another image.  That gives me room to shrink, expand or move that layer and then crop to the original selection size.   ;)

I always forget... mutter under my breath and redo :D.

Wouldn't transparent as default when expanding the canvas be better?

(I dare say there are reasons why not, but it would save time for me). ;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Maybe I didn't explain clearly, but I actually want my background (BG) layer to have color. So the functionality where the BG layer gets the secondary color when the canvas is enlarged is great -- I'm all for keeping how that works. What I want the ability to choose which layer is BG (in functionality, not position). Right now only the first layer can be BG, and it's impossible (as far as I can tell) to change that designation.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

Edited by treetopper

I get what you mean. The canvas has an auto fill when you resize the canvas, but the auto fill only happens to the default original "background" layer. I never thought about wanting that feature as an option for other layers.

I guess my only suggestion is get in the habit of making a new layer or adding a new layer as the very first thing you do for any new projects. (That's what I do. The first thing I do when I open paint.net, or am about to start a new project, or work on a new picture, is I duplicate my picture or add a new layer. This leaves the original background layer untouched.)

You can even learn the short cut keys, so that way you can use your mouse or keyboard to generate new layers a little more quickly and efficiently.

Add Layer: ctrl + shift + N 

Duplicate Layer: ctrl + shift + D

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Thanks for the tips, Cc4FuzzyHuggles. :)  This "problem" has some fairly easy workarounds, but I'm a bit absent minded, like Red ochre. I thought I'd suggest a "choose which layer has the auto fill" function on the off chance that [a] other people would also like it and it's not too difficult to implement. :D

Edited by treetopper

I forget sometimes too Red,lol. Usually I yell at myself when I do.  :D

Unfortunately there is no way to change the default setting so my suggestion is to get in the habit of one of these work arounds.   ;)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

I forget sometimes too Red,lol. Usually I yell at myself when I do.   :D

Unfortunately there is no way to change the default setting so my suggestion is to get in the habit of one of these work arounds.   ;)

Me, three. This is when I really appreciate the PDN's undo window! :D

Quickly fill an entire layer with Ctrl + A then Backspace (fills with Primary color). Shift + Backspace fills with Secondary color.

• Upvote 1

Quickly fill an entire layer with Ctrl + A then Backspace (fills with Primary color). Shift + Backspace fills with Secondary color.

Oo, nifty! I need to memorize these keyboard shortcuts. I've been trying to use the shortcuts from a different program in PDN, and oddly, they don't work. (Did I say I was absent minded...?) :roll: