Selection tool sometimes won't work

lacobo

Since version 4.06 once in a while the selection tool won't work on a pasted image (no dotted square is drawn and 'Crop to selection' stays grayed out) . If I switch to another picture it works fine, when I switch back to this image it still doesn't work. I have to save the picture, close Paint.net, open Paint.net again, load the picture and then it works again. Seems like an interesting bug in 4.06. Happened twice in one week now.

B.R.

Bert alias LACOBO

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the necro, but this has just happened to me. I selected two images in Windows Explorer, right clicked, selected Edit. PDN opens up and I can use the rectangle tool to crop out a small area of one image, but on the second image I cannot use Rectangle or Lasso selection. Magic Wand works so selection itself works, just not Rectangle or Lasso select.

I closed the affected image and reopened it and the selecting tools worked just fine after that.

Edited by darxide

Hi @darxide 

What you didn't mention were the type of files you were trying to "Edit"

This led me to do some poking around and found an issue I thought I would mention. It's About "PNG" Files. It's probably a Windows10 issue as well.

@BoltBait

I am unable to associate a PNG file to edit in Paint.Net and open in Photo. Hope the screenshot shows you what I mean

pzrr3m.png

A very minor issue but still an issue.B)

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

On 3/6/2018 at 4:03 PM, AndrewDavid said:

Hi @darxide 

What you didn't mention were the type of files you were trying to "Edit".
This led me to do some poking around and found an issue I thought I would mention. It's About "PNG" Files. It's probably a Windows10 issue as well

They were PNG files, screenshots taken with the same application. One worked, one did not. I do not use Windows 10.

• 4 years later...

I just had the same issue: I was working in two images - not saved yet, just copied from clipboard to Paint.net.
Have done some editing to both, switching back and forth.

Suddenly selection wouldn't work in one of them. Checked all the above, but nothing sticks out...

When selecting, normally the bar at the bottom will register the coordinates of the mouse, in this case, nothing happens.

Will proceed to save the image, close and reopen. But posting the requested screenshot of the application here for future debugging. 🙂

Paint.net selection tool issue.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
19 hours ago, Juhxx__ said:

I've been having this same issue for a few months now, does anybody know how to fix this?

Which version of paint.net are you using?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

9 hours ago, Pixey said:

Which version of paint.net are you using?

Yeah be sure you’re on version 5, there was a fix that went in that may help with this.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, donniehostillo said:

Still an issue as of 3/24/2023, and I'm also having the issue with .JPG files as well

As this thread is a little long now, please describe exactly what problems you are having @donniehostillo.

Is it the 'selection' tool?  And what trouble are you having with .JPG's ?

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

As this thread is a little long now, please describe exactly what problems you are having @donniehostillo.

Is it the 'selection' tool?  And what trouble are you having with .JPG's ?

I do not have a screenshot as it seems to be random, but I randomly have the issue using the rectangle tool, lasso tool, or magic wand tool, and attempt to select somewhere in my picture and it will not select. If you look in your history it will register that a select was made, but you will not see any selection on the canvas, nor are you able to edit your selection (I assumed the selection may be invisible, so I attempted to Ctrl + Shift + X to cut to the selection, this did not work). The only solution is to close and reopen that specific picture. 

42 minutes ago, donniehostillo said:

and attempt to select somewhere in my picture and it will not select.

You have to be sure you are using the correct position when you are trying to draw a selection:  https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/SelectionTools.html

46 minutes ago, donniehostillo said:

so I attempted to Ctrl + Shift + X to cut to the selection, this did not work)

The correct keys to use are Ctrl + X

47 minutes ago, donniehostillo said:

or magic wand tool, and attempt to select somewhere in my picture

The magic wand is used to select areas of the active layer that have similar colors:  https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MagicWand.html

30b8T8B.gif

• 6 months later...

We may finally have a fix for this.

Over on the Paint.NET Discord serverf(x)^3 found repro steps to make this happen ( https://discord.com/channels/751565809972936735/751566154778280056/1156846648769650780 ) :

image.png

I was able to reproduce this right away, 100% of the time I followed these repro steps. The fix for this will be in 5.0.10 which I'm planning to release this weekend (I'm ready as soon as @BoltBait and @toe_head2001 are good with CodeLab's state).

The explanation is a weird one, going multiple levels deep

image.png

• Like 1
  • You're a Smart Cookie! 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg