That Special Spot

Ok, this is just with the 4.06 version of PDN that I've noticed this....I noticed it right away since I've had the newest version. I just never bothered posting about it because it's such a small thing, yet, ok, it's sometimes now 'low level annoying' but I get around it.

Once PDN opens and you have your whatever to begin working on, and you go to to use practically any tool in the tool window--one that requires mouse use touching the canvas--- an initial tiny dot sticks to the image...ok, maybe it's only using the magic wand. 

For sure, at least, it involves the magic wand. It's one teeny dot that stays put no matter what, until everything is deselected. It can and does cause a noticeable distortion where that "rogue dot" is when the marching ants are marching around upon many effects used around the "rogue dot".

Sure, I can live with that "rogue dot". The two of us can remain to have an understanding if we have to. I'm just sayin', is all.....just throwing that out there...

The dot is an involuntary click point. Its most likely a tiny selection. If it bothers you change the default tool in the :Settings: Settings > Tools dialog. The Color Picker tool doesn't render anything to the canvas, so that might be an option.

If you're using the Magic Wand tool, then the "dot" is an indication of where you clicked. You can use the handle (the little up/down/left/right compass thingy) next to it to move it around and re-compute the selection.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

OK, that "special spot", aka the active dot also appears and stays on the canvas when I click on the canvas to use the paint bucket. After the color has filled the entire canvas, or whatever area is being filled with color, that "rogue active dot" stays. It goes away ONLY when I click on the gray area. That spot stays in place wherever I have initially clicked on it using the magic wand, too, so when that wanded area selected additionally has a bevel or effect added to it, that dot area is also effected or "beveled". In order for it to not make a 'mutated' area I have to somehow find another location, perhaps on the very edge of the specific area effected, so that it isn't as noticed. Using the 'paint bucket tool' within the tool window means I can just click on the gray area for that rogue dot to go away. If not, it stays there until I do something else, if I don't click on the gray area.

The prior version never had that little tiny matter. I work around it and deal with it but just in case it needs a mention, for whatever reasons, I'm throwing it out there. I'm on the latest version of PDN and Windows 7, for what that's worth.

Also, I can live with this and adapt, but, juuuuuust in case it might matter or in case others have noticed it....and I still LOVE Paint.Net, regardless. It's not like PDN doesn't work and it's not even that big of a deal to deal with.

Uh, it could also be involving some weirdo completely unrelated different thing on my computer, like with how that Firefox add-on was causing numbers to show up whenever I posted on this forum.

I'm not going to bother mentioning it any more. I only did in case it matters or may down the road, for whatever reason. Just cuz.

Edited by ScrapbookWithPDN

OK, that "special spot", aka the active dot also appears and stays on the canvas when I click on the canvas to use the paint bucket. After the color has filled the entire canvas, or whatever area is being filled with color, that "rogue active dot" stays. It goes away ONLY when I click on the gray area.

The normal way to get rid of that dot is to click on the "Finish" button on the tool bar.

It's not a "rogue" dot, it's intentional. It is a box that's drawn around the pixel you've clicked on. Try zooming in, you'll see that more clearly. The Paint Bucket also does this, like you said. PB and MW use the same algorithm and have the same interaction model, just slightly different output (layer or selection, respectively).

After you click, you can move it around and the fill or selection will be recomputed (have you ever done this by hand? click, nope, undo, click, oops wrong spot, undo, etc. It sucks!). If you're already done and everything looks good then just press enter or click Finish in the toolbar. It's not hard to learn to press enter after clicking, and you can't convince me that it's too difficult or annoying or onerous in light of the absolutely massive increase in usefulness that this type of live editing affords.

Watch this video:

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

OK, it's not doing what it once seemed to be doing, or perhaps I'm not doing something I had been doing without realizing it (which is more likely the case).

Thank you for helping me better understand that.

Oh, and thanks for the vid link for me to check out!

(I'm one of the "special people" who uses PDN.)

Edited by ScrapbookWithPDN