The image type is not recognized, and cannot be opened.

Hey,

I am trying to open a series of thumbnail images created by my WDTV device. The device creates these files automatically in various sizes with different extensions:

THUMB_73X104

THUMB_99X138

THUMB_114X161

THUMB_126X178

THUMB_138X138

THUMB_160X160

THUMB_176X261

The files themselves are nothing special, just jpeg jfif.

First few bytes of every file is identical and how I knew they were jpeg:  ÿØÿà JFIF

If I rename the extension to jpg, paint.net has no trouble recognizing and opening the files.

IE, MS Paint and MS Image Viewer have no trouble opening and showing the files regardless of the extension. (However I would sooner poke forks in my eyes than use these programs)

I assume paint.net is relying on the extension, not the file contents, to determine what type of file it is opening. Is there any way I can "teach" paint.net to treat these specific extensions the same way it handles *.jpg ?

PS I love paint.net, been using it for years, sent money a couple times. I'm a paint.net evangelist, spreading the good word. :)

Do the files not have extensions? Windows is a world dependent on file extensions, and so is Paint.NET. You're not really going to get away from this :) Renaming is easy to make fast though ... drop to the command line and just "ren *.* *.jpg"

The JPEG codec in Paint.NET will recognize files with the extensions .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, and .jfif

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

The device creates these files automatically in various sizes with different extensions:

THUMB_73X104

THUMB_99X138

THUMB_114X161

THUMB_126X178

THUMB_138X138

THUMB_160X160

THUMB_176X261

I am quite familiar with how Windows uses extensions. Windows applications are not required to be subject to those limitations and it is very possible for an application to open a file with a different extension than the one expected and still handle the file correctly based on it's contents. I listed three Microsoft applications that are able to handle these files despite the fact that the extensions are non-standard.

Renaming the files is simple enough, I have done it, but that wasn't the question, and doing so doesn't really solve anything as they need to be renamed back to their original extensions (see above) in order to work on the WDTV device.

It sounds like your answer to my actual question is "No"

Thanks

Edited by Howitzer