Sign in to follow this  
stardj

which is best concrete stain?

I have a concrete walkway that exterior paint and stain will not last very long on.  I now realize from doing some research that I had not used a seperate primer or adhesive of any kind but rather porch paint that had primer mixed in it.  Anyways,  I have heard that if I use Muriatic acid to prep it then the stain will adhere much better.  So I have a few questions now.  Does anybody recommend this process of using Muriatic Acid first?  If so how can I protect my neighbors walkway from anything getting onto it when I go to rinse off MY walkway?  Will a plastic tarp surfice?  Next question is after using the Muriatic acid should I use a primer next or just go ahead and stain?  And finally, which concrete stain is the best?  I have heard that Sherwin Williams H&C is too expensive for what its worth and a lot of mixed reviews.  I also see Behr has a deep base Concrete stain with a Siliconized acrylic formula but that has a rating on homedepot.ca of 3.8 out of 5.  Behr also has a product called DeckOver which has only a 3 out of 5 rating on that site too.  So should I ignore bad reviews since some people may be unhappy cause they can't prep properly or what should I do?  Any help is appreciated.

This forum has nothing to do with painting concrete. This forum is about Paint.NET, the most awesome software for the most awesome digital artists in the world, meaning we paint... but on our computers JC_cheesy.gif meaning we don't paint concrete here dntknw.gif

How do people get forums confused anyway?! :P

But welcome to the forum all the same! LaieA_060.gif

I suspect that someone never heard the adage, "Don't judge a book by it's cover".  With that train of thought it makes me wonder how "Fifty Shades of Grey" ever became a best seller and movie.  Maybe the individual should've first consulted that book before posting his question here.    ...just saying...!

Hubby says (he's a Cement Chemist) that you should dig it up and put a pigment in the concrete before you lay it :D .