What About a Place for Appropriate Video Tutorials

There are a lot of videos on Youtube for Paint.Net. Some are fairly old, but still helpful to many but for those using the newest version of PDN some of the older vids won't be that useful because a few Plugins have changed or are obsolete. Even if the same plugin is still in use, if it has been modified, for example, like Jitter has been, it will give an idea or concept of how-to functions, which are better than nothing. I found one kid on YT who has a sketchy link under his video for where to download PDN from his "How to Install PDN" vid.

The forum could have the brief description of vids above them and with a link to them. It's kind of nice to know the forum can have guides for effective or appropriate videos, too.

There could be two topics thread titles; one for prior PDN versions and another for the newest version.

There could also be good vids in various other languages.

Maybe have them on two fixed thread topics at the top, like with Plug-ins and such?

Just a thought.

Paint.net has little to no control over the tutorials people post to youtube.

If people wish to post their own youtube tutorials here on the forum, the tutorials section is a perfectly appropriate place for that. It's totally up to the video creators to post here if they wish.

• Upvote 2

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Agreed I've made a few video tutorials, but not of Paint.NET. I make tutorials about complicated s/w. Paint.NET is very easy in my opinion and there are already many fine high quality tuts on this site. I'm very certain you can learn a lot by following them.

Whether the tut uses an older version or newer version, is pretty much irrelevant. The differences are not a deal breaker for the average user. It's all just another learning experience in the end.

Plane_Sig2.gif

That's a given that nobody has control over what someone posts on YT. That was kind of the point but if suggested videos are linked at the forum, and if people know they can find a video link right away at the forum, as opposed to making into a video scavenger hunt, it would be easier and more organized. . 

I can understand how you would feel that way, but there are people who might like to use PDN who are not savvy in the complicated use of it, or who haven't been using it for a long time--or much of any graphic software.

There are people who have a desire to get a better grasp on using PDN and it can be a bit discouraging having to spend hours lurking around at the forum, as there is a great deal to try to navigate through; old older, blending in with the newer, some of the updated newer stuff blending in with the older.

I would suspect lurkers who never join, or who might sign up but never post, are in large numbers, but it can be very frustrating trying to figure something out for people who are not programmers, graphic software experts, or both.

If you look at the topics of the forum of the thread about the How To Use PDN ebook, I believe written in 2012 (correct me if I'm wrong about that year), but look at how many hits (views) that thread has; over thirty thousand (30,000). It's actually approaching 40K, technically.

Clearly, there are a lot of people wanting to better understand, in a more structured and organized method, how to use PDN. Yes, many (not all) written tutorials are very useful, but some are out dated. To expect a lot of people who are not graphic software users, programmers, or the Sheldon Coopers' of the world, to figure it out on their own on a written tutorial or outdated videos because they got a 'kind-a-sort-a' idea on some of it....well, ok. That kinda sorta sums that up.

So what you're saying is that you'd like to see a curated list of the best paint.net tutorials on YouTube.

I've never watched any paint.net tutorials on YouTube, so I couldn't contribute to such a list.

If you've already spent some time watching some, perhaps you could start that curated list.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

How To Use PDN ebook, I believe written in 2012 (correct me if I'm wrong about that year), but look at how many hits (views) that thread has; over thirty thousand (30,000).

Shame they didn't all buy a copy - I'd be a full-time Rule Ogre here on the forum :D

Curating a list takes some effort (Plugin Index = 1.5 million views! Six years in the making!). It needs to be monitored and updated frequently.

A forum section where users can post links is going to require at least an index, which again takes maintenance.

If you or anyone else is willing to take on the task then we have something to start with. Any takers?

There was a bit of a stink a while back when somebody posted a YouTube video without getting the author's permission. I think it got all sorted out eventually.

Who is going to be answering questions about what is being shown in these videos?  Very few if any will  want to answer questions about somebody else's videos.

And I for one love scrounging around in the old tutorials and reading old howto threads.

A lurker who joined. :D

SloppySig.png

"To expect a lot of people who are not graphic software users, programmers, or the Sheldon Coopers' of the world, to figure it out on their own on a written tutorial or outdated videos because they got a 'kind-a-sort-a' idea on some of it....well, ok. That kinda sorta sums that up."  ScrapbookWithPDN.

"You can lead a horse to water ........   " 

In my experience on this forum, since I joined in 2007, is that most folks prefer the written tutorials to videos.

Part of the learning experience is by discovering how the system works.  When I first opened PDN I didn't know what anything did.  I learned by trial and error, many times with sad results.

Some people, on the other hand, will just not be suited to using PDN.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again".

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I, for one, will not have enough time to sift through and organize the 7 million results for "paint.net tutorial" any time soon...

In all seriousness, though, if people can't find the video they are looking for using a search engine, manually looking through an index of the same material will not be much better.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

We can pin YouTube tutorials in the Tutorials forum if they're posted or authorized by the original author and they're good enough.  :-)  I think that's probably the best any of us (volunteers) are able to commit time to.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

The Youtube videos by 'Pdning' are great. I believe he is 'Yellowman' on this forum, though he's not been active for a while.
They are Pdn 3.5.11 based but the techniques are still relevant ... but some may fall into the advanced category.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eViWN3YxmAo&list=UUTjKGkRbr5gIK1oOnWc_MuA

• Upvote 2

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I have thought of this idea before and wondered about it, but I figured it was something that wasn't allowed, since I haven't seen anyone posting too many youtube videos, let alone videos that are someone elses. However, if we are only talking about sharing, embedding, or linking to the vids, and not claiming them, then I would think it would be fine, since youtube in general is big on the social networking "share" stuff idea. But, if a vid is shared, proper credit probably should be given.

I personally think videos are sometimes great for paint.net beginners or for people who learn better from videos than they do through written tutorials. I know for me, I sometimes need to "see" or "watch" something be demonstrated before I can get it or grasp it. Having a good instructor that I can watch and hear is my preferred choice sometimes. I know plenty of other people who are "visual learners", which means they don't learn well by reading, they learn better by watching. I realize the tutorials here have pictures/screen caps, but sometimes that's not enough. The Clone Stamp Tool can be one of the trickiest tools to get people to understand, videos of that tool are very useful.

If the idea of a video collection/list is allowed, then I like the idea of us coming together to collaborate a list of paint.net youtube tutorials.

I have some ideas about the Video Tutorial Thread too.

One person could keep an updated list on the first post (The Original Poster would be the one to manage the Original Post), and everyone else can just add replies about tutorials they watched and liked. Every time someone shares/posts a video (embed or linked), then the OP of the thread could add the video to their list on the first post.

The OP could even have a list for tutorials that were made using older versions of Paint.net and a list for tutorials that used newer versions of paint.net. (for example, in the pictorium, there are plenty of galleries where users have kept the first post of their thread organized and updated). I honestly would love this, as most YouTube tutorials are made with old versions of paint.net, and without a warning of the version being old, it can be confusing for newbies. I also am personally interested in newer tutorials, tutorials that are actually made with paint.net 4.0+, since I'm struggling to find them. There aren't too many people doing good paint.net youtube tutorials these days, there are some, and more are coming out, but there isn't a lot yet.

The biggest flaw I see about a video thread, is that the videos might need to be watched/viewed by the thread's OP, to make sure they are appropriate for the forums. The youtube videos would have to fit to the forum rules, for example, the sample images used in the videos would need to be appropriate, and the language would need to be appropriate too (as in limited and/or no foul language). If the video breaks forum rules, then the OP wouldn't add the video to the list and could flag/report the post. If the GM's don't like the idea of having to respond to flagged/reported posts, then it could be stated on the thread that all videos need to be submitted to the OP of the thread through PMs. The OP will then simply maintain the first post, adding videos they find themselves or video links that are given to them through PMs.

With every thread you have a risk of rules not being followed, if people continue to ignore what to do and not to do, then the thread could be closed.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Shame they didn't all buy a copy - I'd be a full-time Rule Ogre here on the forum :D

Curating a list takes some effort (Plugin Index = 1.5 million views! Six years in the making!). It needs to be monitored and updated frequently.

A forum section where users can post links is going to require at least an index, which again takes maintenance.

If you or anyone else is willing to take on the task then we have something to start with. Any takers?

I completely understand where you are coming from. I also realize how it needs to be monitored and the dedication it takes for those in that position.

I don't have enough posts to be considered a somebody around here. Plus, I'm not an all-knowing expert. However, I did at least TRY to make some kind of an effort in putting together some video tutorials on the website toe_head gave me the motivation to do, but, I think he just meant offer a tutorial here about what I do with PDN. I really didn't know how to make it clear, detailed, and not use up all of the allocated space of the forum. So, I just recently completed a website for horses who appreciated another road to get to the water, the ones who are suited for PDN but who needed a little more help and patience from someone who cared and was willing.  

A lot of people learn in different ways for a variety of reasons. Some are dyslexic, reading for them is very challenging and, by far, that has nothing to do with talent, ability, etc....Watching a 3 min video can sometimes mean saving an hour of reading and trying to tinker around. A 10 minute video can probably save a week or two of a person trying to figure out something.

But, hey, if you want some of us to run the video section of this place......I nominate Cc4FuzzyHuggles. I really do. I think her heart is in it, she's obviously done some thinking on it and has some good ideas she brought to the table.

I think we should continue to post video tutorials in the proper subforum for what they teach, but have a thread which links to them as a sort of "tag system" so that people can view tutorials that are in a video format.  If someone creates that thread and is willing to keep it up, I'll be happy to pin it!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

There was a bit of a stink a while back when somebody posted a YouTube video without getting the author's permission. I think it got all sorted out eventually.

A public video on Youtube was linked to a website, the official PDN website, about said software while using said software for which the tutorial was made for, and there were legal issues about doing that from the creator of the publicly displayed video? I wasn't aware legislation governed such things or FB would likely be in hot water every minute of every day--but, hey, ya' never know.

Interesting.

Here is the video I was thinking of: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26165-outlined-gradient-filled-text-formerly-very-cool-text/

Here is the comment from the original author:http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26165-outlined-gradient-filled-text-formerly-very-cool-text/?p=388901

The poster of the video, amitlevy07, cited kaunas163 as the author and all was well.

Just thought there could be a problem with posting videos.

SloppySig.png

A public video on Youtube was linked to a website, the official PDN website, about said software while using said software for which the tutorial was made for, and there were legal issues about doing that from the creator of the publicly displayed video? I wasn't aware legislation governed such things or FB would likely be in hot water every minute of every day--but, hey, ya' never know

Most videos on YouTube are licensed under the 'Standard YouTube License' which indirectly gives the freedom for 3rd-parties to embed. If the uploader wanted to, they can manually disable embeds on their videos regardless.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Ok, I just want to ask some things for clarification.

As long as credit is given, are we allowed to post youtube videos that are not our own? (link and/or embed)

Are there rules to sharing youtube videos, such as, the content of a video keeps to the forum rules?

I can understand no videos that use inappropriate images or foul language.

However, there are some youtube videos that are great for people who want to learn how to use the program, are such basic videos allowed to be shared here? I myself have often wanted to do an "introduction to paint.net" type of video (I might make it some day if I can get the right video making tools, in the mean time, other people are starting to finally make 4.0 videos.).

As long as credit is given, are we allowed to post youtube videos that are not our own? (link and/or embed)

Yes. Though these are not likely to receive the same status as an original tutorial. Posting a link would take care of the "credit" issue as far as I'm concerned.

Are there rules to sharing youtube videos

I'm sure YouTube has guidelines dealing with this.

..., such as, the content of a video keeps to the forum rules?

Should be family friendly to be linked here ;)