C# and Goto Loop Haters

denverpotsmoker

I'm guessing getting a print out of your code was a pain, though probably possible.

Yes, and it was so difficult reading them by candle light!

You seem to be completely missing the point. It's about disorganized programs, which has almost nothing to do with folders and files or printing listings. Dijkstra's GOTO paper was written in 1968. By that time, hierarchical file systems already existed and and high-speed printers were common. The problem with poorly organized code is a human problem. As long as people have to figure out what other people's code is doing (or their own code, written some time ago) badly written code, that jumps here and there, will be a problem.

Oh yeah, pretty sure using goto's would compile quicker due less replacement coding in compilation. That's pretty significant.

I'd gladly trade a few seconds of compile time for a day of tracking through some obscure code, trying to puzzle out what it's doing, so I can fix a bug.

Your perspective on programming and debugging seems to me to be quite limited.

Oh yeah, pretty sure using goto's would compile quicker due less replacement coding in compilation. That's

pretty significant.

My guess is that the speed up is pretty unsignificant. This might become more significant the larger the project, but it also becomes more important to write well organized code.

My batch Image Processor: https://imagenator.codeplex.com

You really shackle creativity when you tell someone how to think or how they can express their thoughts. Luckily, you can work around such barriers with languages like XLISP and C#, to really accomplish your vision.

Kudos to paint.net developers for supporting C# instead of python/java/etc.

The Rise of the Creative Class

by: Richard Florida

Yeah, I pretty much "gave up" on graphics programming after the Apple IIe. I tried some on my Atari 800XL, but the graphics just didn't look as good. I was pretty young at the time (elementary school).

Check out my new module template (I put them in folders then have a batch file paste them in the order required)...part of what I call "structural commenting" using ascii art...you delete the // line numbers for actual code, but the concept is kept for reference both in program code and for other coders.

saturn5-ABBV--template v4.txt

Edited by denverpotsmoker

The Rise of the Creative Class

by: Richard Florida