Invalid MS-DOS function

Pixey

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing trouble with moving files.  This may be a Windows 10 problem?  I keep getting a message saying:

Invalid MS-DOS function.

I can copy and paste the files but not move them with the cursor :( .

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hi Drew :)

When I try to move a file from one to another, or the desk top I get this prompt.

0PKCed7.png

I have Googled this and it sounds to be a Windows 10 probem that is not yet fixed :( .

I have run sfc/scanner and disk check, to no avail.

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I downloaded the Win10 x64 ISO file. I'll be upgrading a factory installed Win7 x64, then I'm planning a clean install via a bootable USB thumbdrive. That will entail a re-format and clean install of Win10 on my OS partition if all goes well.....

If not, then I'll just re-load my saved current OS image to get back up and running. 

Plane_Sig2.gif

Well I just upgraded my factory installed Win7 x64 to Win10 x64. It reports that it needs activation, but my system is not connected to internet. I'll wait and see what happens before I connect. So far no problems copying files to Desktop or wherever. I have noticed that it won't pass audio via HDMI port, so I have to use my Headphones. No big deal, but an interesting observation non-the-less.

Many people report that Win10 is fast, but I have to disagree, it's much slower than Win8.1 or Win7. I'll play around with it until I get tired of it...........

Edited by racerx

Plane_Sig2.gif

Other than this problem with moving files, I have been happy with Windows 10 and I do think it's faster.  The Search window, bottom left, finds anything you type in really fast :D .

So - I managed to fix the problem I was having, quite by chance.  I tried to take my computer back to an earlier date and failed, due to (it told me) a certain .dll.

namely: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\api-ms-win-downlevel-user32-l1-1-0.dll

I downloaded this and ............. hey presto the problem has GONE - for now at least :D .

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

Glad you got it sorted out Pixey :) I have downloaded the .dll you mention just in case I get an error in the future (one never knows)

I agree that Windows 10 is faster too, the start menu is a welcome return after the cluttered windows 8 + start screen. So impressed I even installed it on my laptop despite promising myself I wouldn't ;)

BREtKQW.png

Glad you got it sorted out. I wonder how that .dll got deleted though....

I just did a clean install of Win10 x64 Home on my editing rig. After I tweaked the snot out of it, it runs pretty well. I'm liking it so far and it seams to play well with my oldie but goodie apps that I can't do without.

At least the price was right..... 

Plane_Sig2.gif

Thanks @Drew & @Racerx - glad you're enjoying Windows 10 now.

As for how that .dll went missing is a mystery.  As the Invalid MS-DOS function seems to be a big problem, and is being discussed at great length here, it remains a mystery. 

30b8T8B.gif

... I have noticed that it won't pass audio via HDMI port..

This problem must be specific to your system. 

I have set my Philips 272P4 monitor speakers only to work with Skype and I had not used Skype since I upgraded to Win 10, so your post got me wondering.

I disconnected everything but the power and HDMI cables on my monitor and checked with both "Sound" through the Control Panel and Skype. Audio through HDMI is fine on my system.

Xkds4Lh.png

This problem must be specific to your system. 

I have set my Philips 272P4 monitor speakers only to work with Skype and I had not used Skype since I upgraded to Win 10, so your post got me wondering.

I disconnected everything but the power and HDMI cables on my monitor and checked with both "Sound" through the Control Panel and Skype. Audio through HDMI is fine on my system.

It was an upgrade issue. When I did a clean install, there were no problems with the audio to my HDMI monitor. Many problems that arise during an upgrade are often solved with a clean install of the OS. 

Plane_Sig2.gif