can't find .msi to repair or reinstal or update my paint

Carman Turner

I had a trojan that attached and infected many of the programs I was running. I have repaired windows, but many of the programs like paint.net will not work properly. The drop down menues won't stay long enough to click on any of the options. So I decided that paint was affected by the trojan. I tried to repair paint from the windows control panel, then tried to uninstall it. I kept getting the popup that the _x64_1270542378.msi couldn't be found. I have searched all the locations  to include  appdata temp files, the original program files in programs and anywhere else I could detect PDN. That msi does not exist. I get the pop up that says:

The feature that you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. 

click ok to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'PaintDotNet _x64_1270542378.msi' in the box below. I can't find it anywhere on my system. I have been able to uninstall several other programs. Just not PDN.

What can I do to fix this. I Use PDN almost daily for several hours. 

I started the FixIt, however paint.net is not in the list of installed programs (I try to uninstall 4.05 "correctly" first). FixIt asks then for the ProductCode which is an 38 character string e.g. {9ΕΕΕ 2575-B66F-43F7-Α455-7041933SCB}.

So before I can run the FixIt the question is: how to get the 38char string Product Code of NDP 4.05? Rick?

Regards, Teunis

Edited by teunotn

The way to find the product code (not product key) is to download and run a small MS tool called msiinv.exe. Get the new version. It will list amongst others all product codes of "advertised" and "installed" programs. The product code for PND 4.05 was in my case {141BA46D-2D1F-4DA6-9448-B847334585C0}, (I am not sure if it's the same for other machines). However, there was the note that PND is "advertised but not installed, code 1". That is the reason why it is not in my list of programs and features. However it runs normally.

Entering this product code into FixIt, did not really solve the uninstall problem. Although FixIt reported problem solved, it turned out that PND 4.05 was still not in de Programs and Features list (not to be expected because "uninstalled" by FixIt), but could still run. Updating to 4.06 still gave the strange error of a missing msi, as before. I am at a loss.

Regards, Teunis

Added: Note that msiinv.exe runs in a cmd environment. It takes a long time to run. When it's finished it reports where to find the logs with the info.

1hour later:

Problem solved! I could now install 4.06 over 4.05 - without a hassle. Everything runs fine.

Edited by teunotn
  • Upvote 1

1hour later:

Problem solved! I could now install 4.06 over 4.05 - without a hassle. Everything runs fine.

What solved it? Please share so that others can be saved the trouble !

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

As I explained in my earlier post (1 sep 2015) and Carman Turner in this one, I (and he) could not un- nor reinstall PND4.05 and/or install PND4.06. Every time the message some msi file (e.g. PaintDotNet_x64_1247644128.msi) was missing and the process was reversed.

Besides, in my case, PND dit not appear in the list programs and features of installed programs

By applying the MS FixIt recommended by TechRobbo in combination with msiinv.exe, which gave me the product code (before you told me where to find it - thanks), I was able to solve the problem: the message  about the missing msi did not appear any more and PND4.06 installed correctly over 4.05 and also appears correctly now in the programs and feature list of installed programs.

Regards, Teunis

PS: I cannot check that the PND 4.05 paint.net product code did appear indeed at at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ paint.net  during the problem. I did check the registry for the product code but could not find it, hence my use of msiinv.exe.

Edited by teunotn