Alpha Masking and Drop Shadow questions

Destinyforme

I used to use corels PSP x 3 till my computer just recently crashed and I cant afford the new right now!
So I am trying out paint.net  :) 
It seems not to bad, however I miss the masks you can use on x3!
I downloaded the alpha mask plug in but am unsure of how to use it, any help with this would be appreciated!...... I like to make signatures and like to use masks on a solid background for a nice backdrop for my signatures...
Also what is good for settings with the drop shadow? like the Blur and shadow etc
Thank you in advance! 

Edited by david.atwell
Fixed title. -d.a || I was having a hell of a time trying to read this in pink. Sorry. -pdnnoob

You have to first draw your mask, then copy it to the clipboard (select the entire layer containing your mask and hit ctrl+c), then make sure "paste from clipboard" is checked when you use the alpha mask plugin.

Unfortunately, that means you can't edit the mask and see live updates on the canvas. Your other option is to simply use the eraser and gradient tools to make your mask.

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by that second question. How much and what type of drop shadow you use really depends on what you are using it on/for.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Ok thanks, I am using pre made masks ... hmmmm When I drop shadow you can see the shadow hard core, it is really black! I dont want to see the shadow like that! I did play with the settings but cannot seem to get a happy medium 

You have to first draw your mask, then copy it to the clipboard (select the entire layer containing your mask and hit ctrl+c), then make sure "paste from clipboard" is checked when you use the alpha mask plugin.
Unfortunately, that means you can't edit the mask and see live updates on the canvas. Your other option is to simply use the eraser and gradient tools to make your mask.

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by that second question. How much and what type of drop shadow you use really depends on what you are using it on/for.

Shadows are fully adjustable. Either in the settings of the Shadow filter plugin that you use, or via layer opacity opacity settings (assuming you put the shadow on it's own layer). 

Plane_Sig2.gif

I like to turn the widening radius down to 0, then set the blur radius to the same number as the highest offset distance.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Alpha Masking and Drop Shadow questions