TechnoRobbo

ShapeMaker Tutorials

Now I'm really, really confused.  If there is a bug, why then is it still working for some of us?

11 minutes ago, Pixey said:

If there is a bug, why then is it still working for some of us?

It's a bug that only affects certain regions. Specifically, the regions that use a comma for the decimal point.

14 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Now I'm really, really confused.  If there is a bug, why then is it still working for some of us?

I think it's the same thing as here ... https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/111710-a-way-to-create-a-straw-for-your-lemonade-drink-2017-08-29/

At least that's the way I'm reading it ? Commas and full stops/ periods/ decimal points 

Edited by welshblue
Beaten to it By TH

Hi @Pixey I'm French, you're from Florida. I use to write PI 3,14159 with a comma as decimal separator. This comma is also used in the XAML files to separate the numbers.

You should write PI like 3.1415926 with a dot a separator. If your list of number looks like

3.1415926,200,5.67,150 so 4 numbers for paint.net

my list will be with a decimal comma instead the dot

3,1415926,200,5,67,150 so 6 numbers for paint.net

No doubt the result will be hazardous if it was working but paint.net can't load the list.

Same as say @toe_head2001 and @welshblue.

Ahhh - thank you @toe_head2001 @welshblue and @MadJik.  Now I capiche :lol:.  If I recall a couple of years ago someone on here discovered this comma thing and helped out @Rick Brewster with a problem that was happening on something else.  I think it was either @xod or maybe @Zagna.

So, then @Phil E. must be in one of these regions - as he is experiencing this same trouble :(.  At least this now answers his question ;).

12 hours ago, Phil E. said:

...this could help... but instead of COMMAS, it's Dots?

Yes and no. Comma to separate the numbers in the list. Dots to mark the decimal place in the number.

Editing the XML file is really messy. I give up and ban this plugin for now.

As an example , the authors of this plugin could help us by adding a space between the number so comma not followed by a space is a decimal mark and must be replaced by a dot.

9 hours ago, MadJik said:

As an example , the authors of this plugin could help us by adding a space between the number so comma not followed by a space is a decimal mark and must be replaced by a dot.

No, we're just going to fix the bug, so you won't need to edit the XML files.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I posted an update last night.

Downloaded for tests: still some trouble

bugshapemaker.png

<ps:SimpleGeometryShape xmlns="clr-namespace:PaintDotNet.UI.Media;assembly=PaintDotNet.Framework"
                        xmlns:ps="clr-namespace:PaintDotNet.Shapes;assembly=PaintDotNet.Framework"                 
                        DisplayName="Untitled"
                        Geometry="M 120,130 S 250,60,210,120,100,160,170,230,230,360,270,290,399,32,233,14,320,330,-65,93,362,6,80,160 Z
"/>

Would you mind if I could have a look at the sources? Or debug this part as I have the problem myself with my configuration?

This may be one of the silly questions I ask from time to time, but if I used Inkscape (the only one I've found online) to convert .png files of line art to .xaml,

will I be able to import them into Shapemaker to add bits to ?

5 hours ago, welshblue said:

convert .png files of line art to .xaml,

Depends on what the converted file looks like. Would you post an example to see how much editing is required?

14 hours ago, MadJik said:

Downloaded for tests: still some trouble

I'm sorry MadJik - I was actually referring to the Shape3D plugin. Sorry for the confusion.

15 hours ago, MadJik said:

Would you mind if I could have a look at the sources? Or debug this part as I have the problem myself with my configuration?

I already got it fixed over the weekend, and I will be posting an update in the coming days with additional fixes. I'll send you a pre-release later today when I get home.

On 04/09/2017 at 2:32 PM, AndrewDavid said:

Depends on what the converted file looks like. Would you post an example to see how much editing is required?

I tried it ... says file format not supported even though inkscape saved it as xaml.  

That said, even a basic lineart drawing saved was a significantly bigger file size than shapemaker saves at

1 hour ago, welshblue said:

I tried it ... says file format not supported even though inkscape saved it as xaml.

I downloaded a small icon set a couple months ago that was saved in a variety of formats, including xaml.

I put the xaml files in the 'shapes' folder and they were not recognized.  Maybe it depends on the software that created them??

7 hours ago, welshblue said:

6 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Maybe it depends on the software that created them??

No, it's just that PDN Shapes only use a very small subset of the XAML spec.

See BoltBait's tutorial for details: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/32101-how-to-make-custom-shapes-for-paintnet-406/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

No, it's just that PDN Shapes only use a very small subset of the XAML spec

So....if you want that shape, you have to make it in ShapeMaker.   (I was trying to save myself a little bit of work...oh well...)     :(

2 minutes ago, lynxster4 said:

So....if you want that shape, you have to make it in ShapeMaker.

If you're willing to do some manual text editing, you may (depending on the file) be able to extract the relevant code from one of those XAML files.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

If you're willing to do some manual text editing, you may (depending on the file) be able to extract the relevant code from one of those XAML files.

I will have to study this toe_head.  I never paid much attention to this particular post because I was always making my own shapes.

It will be worth it to look into it.

Thanks, toe!   :)

P.S.

I read thru BoltBait's post real quick.  I am struck by how much it looks like computer code we used back in the '80's for a system called 'ISOPEDAC' that we used at work to draw our piping isometrics.  My corporation imported the program from England, banking on it.  This was before CADD took off and we all know how that turned out. They backed the wrong horse!

6 hours ago, welshblue said:

Have you the app Kaxaml? It no longer exists but it is designed to read XAML files more easily then shapemaker. I've used it a few times to convert the geometric output from shapemaker into a PDN Shape. I'm still curious about what your converted file looks like internally.

18 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Just wanted to let you know that I was successful in copying and pasting relevant code into a template I created per BB's instructions.

And the shape works!   May not have success with all, but it's a heck of a shortcut!

Thank you toe_head!   :beer:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Just wanted to let you know that I was successful in copying and pasting relevant code into a template I created per BB's instructions.

Sometime in the future, I want to look into automating that process.  i.e. You'll be able to import non-PdnShape XAML files into ShapeMaker.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Sometime in the future, I want to look into automating that process.  i.e. You'll be able to import non-PdnShape XAML files into ShapeMaker.

That would be awesome.  :)