ShapeMaker Tutorials

TechnoRobbo

9 hours ago, MadJik said:

As an example , the authors of this plugin could help us by adding a space between the number so comma not followed by a space is a decimal mark and must be replaced by a dot.

No, we're just going to fix the bug, so you won't need to edit the XML files.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I posted an update last night.

7 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I posted an update last night.

Downloaded for tests: still some trouble

bugshapemaker.png

<ps:SimpleGeometryShape xmlns="clr-namespace:PaintDotNet.UI.Media;assembly=PaintDotNet.Framework"
                        xmlns:ps="clr-namespace:PaintDotNet.Shapes;assembly=PaintDotNet.Framework"                 
                        DisplayName="Untitled"
                        Geometry="M 120,130 S 250,60,210,120,100,160,170,230,230,360,270,290,399,32,233,14,320,330,-65,93,362,6,80,160 Z
"/>

Would you mind if I could have a look at the sources? Or debug this part as I have the problem myself with my configuration?

5 hours ago, welshblue said:

convert .png files of line art to .xaml,

Depends on what the converted file looks like. Would you post an example to see how much editing is required?

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

14 hours ago, MadJik said:

Downloaded for tests: still some trouble

I'm sorry MadJik - I was actually referring to the Shape3D plugin. Sorry for the confusion.

15 hours ago, MadJik said:

Would you mind if I could have a look at the sources? Or debug this part as I have the problem myself with my configuration?

I already got it fixed over the weekend, and I will be posting an update in the coming days with additional fixes. I'll send you a pre-release later today when I get home.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

1 hour ago, welshblue said:

I tried it ... says file format not supported even though inkscape saved it as xaml.

I downloaded a small icon set a couple months ago that was saved in a variety of formats, including xaml.

I put the xaml files in the 'shapes' folder and they were not recognized.  Maybe it depends on the software that created them??

7 hours ago, welshblue said:

I tried it ... says file format not supported even though inkscape saved it as xaml.  

6 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Maybe it depends on the software that created them??

No, it's just that PDN Shapes only use a very small subset of the XAML spec.

See BoltBait's tutorial for details: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/32101-how-to-make-custom-shapes-for-paintnet-406/

• Like 1

bp-sig.png

3 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

No, it's just that PDN Shapes only use a very small subset of the XAML spec

So....if you want that shape, you have to make it in ShapeMaker.   (I was trying to save myself a little bit of work...oh well...)     :(

2 minutes ago, lynxster4 said:

So....if you want that shape, you have to make it in ShapeMaker.

If you're willing to do some manual text editing, you may (depending on the file) be able to extract the relevant code from one of those XAML files.

• Like 1

bp-sig.png

17 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

If you're willing to do some manual text editing, you may (depending on the file) be able to extract the relevant code from one of those XAML files.

I will have to study this toe_head.  I never paid much attention to this particular post because I was always making my own shapes.

It will be worth it to look into it.

Thanks, toe!   :)

P.S.

I read thru BoltBait's post real quick.  I am struck by how much it looks like computer code we used back in the '80's for a system called 'ISOPEDAC' that we used at work to draw our piping isometrics.  My corporation imported the program from England, banking on it.  This was before CADD took off and we all know how that turned out. They backed the wrong horse!

6 hours ago, welshblue said:

Have you the app Kaxaml? It no longer exists but it is designed to read XAML files more easily then shapemaker. I've used it a few times to convert the geometric output from shapemaker into a PDN Shape. I'm still curious about what your converted file looks like internally.

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

18 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Just wanted to let you know that I was successful in copying and pasting relevant code into a template I created per BB's instructions.

And the shape works!   May not have success with all, but it's a heck of a shortcut!

Thank you toe_head!   :beer:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Just wanted to let you know that I was successful in copying and pasting relevant code into a template I created per BB's instructions.

Sometime in the future, I want to look into automating that process.  i.e. You'll be able to import non-PdnShape XAML files into ShapeMaker.

• Like 2

bp-sig.png

3 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Sometime in the future, I want to look into automating that process.  i.e. You'll be able to import non-PdnShape XAML files into ShapeMaker.

That would be awesome.  :)

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2015 at 11:29 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I can see all the women reading this and going..."Yup. Males".

I call it  "A Man's Look" You see a Man looks into a crowded drawer and can't find what he is looking for. A woman looks in and instantly finds it. 

That's because women  are gifted  by God , They are multi - tasker's , they have this because of rearing children , One child on her arm , one on her leg :lol:

TRUE !   

So that's a new plugin for women :lol:

14 minutes ago, juan2go said:

So that's a new plugin for women :lol:

You've taken that joke way out of context, and it has nothing to do with the actual plugin.

Stereotypically, males don't bother reading manuals before using things. Rightly so too... we have been conditioned for years with manuals that were written by captain obvious.  Therefore, we typically assume all manuals are that useless.

14 minutes ago, juan2go said:

I call it  "A Man's Look" You see a Man looks into a crowded drawer and can't find what he is looking for. A woman looks in and instantly finds it. 

The man can't find it, because it's no longer where he left it; the woman has "organized" everything. :lol:

bp-sig.png

1 minute ago, toe_head2001 said:

You've taken that joke way out of context, and has nothing to do with the actual plugin.

Stereotypically, males don't bother reading manuals before using things. Rightly so too... we have been conditioned for years with manuals that were written by captain obvious.  Therefore, we typically assume all manuals are that useless.

The man can't find it, because it's no longer where he left it; the woman has "organized" everything. :lol:

I know I did, But it may be a point of interest to some. I fully agree with what you though.  I very rarely see good instruction written 

53 minutes ago, juan2go said:

You see a Man looks into a crowded drawer and can't find what he is looking for.

You should be a little bit more careful with your jokes. I'm a man and had never problems finding things where ever I had to search and I know personally a bunch of women, that can't find a simple way or understand simple instructions ... It's not a question of gender but of thinking and knowing.

Instructions often sounds complicated because the author has many things in mind and takes for granted, but the reader doesn't know.

Edited by IRON67
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is a noob kind of question (but I am a noob ;-) ). ShapeMaker is fantastic. The videos made it so simple to trace out an image and turn it into a shape. But I need one last step and really can't figure out how to. I want to save the image as an SVG. I need it in this format in order to send it to a laser cutter for vector cuts. I saw how to "Copy Path Stream" which works to get the text of the SVG, but what can I use to save it as an actual SVG? Ultimately I want to bring it in as an SVG into Visio.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

25 minutes ago, LJH said:

I want to save the image as an SVG.

Sorry, ShapeMaker can't do that. Use Inkscape to trace your image.

We ought to remove the term 'SVG' from the documentation, since it ambiguous between the generic term 'Scalable Vector Graphics', and the 'Scalable Vector Graphics' file format.

bp-sig.png

I don't agree with removing SVG, but I am willing to refine the wording if you think it necessary.

Something like this??

Paste Path Stream

Paste Path Stream is used to copy the code in an SVG file into ShapeMaker.  Simply copy the SVG code between the Path tags in the file, then hit File > Paste Path

Stream to paste the Shape into the Drawing grid and Path List.

Paste Path is capable of interpreting StreamGeometry strings which are a lightweight version of PathGeometry strings.  Both can appear in XAML files -

but only StreamGeometry can be parsed by ShapeMaker.  Users attempting to paste in PathGeometry strings will receive an error message even

though there is nothing 'wrong' with the string.

5 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

... I am willing to refine the wording if you think it necessary.

Yeah, I think that's fine. We just need make it disambiguous.

'SVG' is used in a couple of other places in the manual, when maybe it shouldn't be.

bp-sig.png