PDN 4.06 goes idle after launching and layer won't merge

Ishi

So as the title says, PDN 4.06 does not respond after launching it at random times.

The window does not appear and the icon does not appear on the Taskbar. The paint.net process is running as seen from the Task Manager but I have to shut it down and re-launch Paint.NET to get it working again. It happened twice on the last 4 or 5 times I launched Paint.NET 4.06. I'm using Windows 8.1 32 Bit and it seems like a noticeable issue. I have now waited for more than 5 minutes, now that I'm typing this post and still, the PDN window and Taskbar icon do not appear despite the paint.net process still running in the background.

I have also noticed the Merge button on the Layer window is at times not working, however the Merge button on the Layers menu would work.

These are problems with PDN 4.06 as I don't recall it happening on 4.05. I have included a screenshot.

post-104825-0-12203900-1440305700_thumb.

It may be a refresh issue. Alt + tab do anything?

Attach a debugger and see what function it's blocking on.

An easier way might be to use Process Explorer ( https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx). It's like Task Manager, except more intense. Double click on PaintDotNet.exe in its list, go to the Threads tab, and see what the main UI thread is parked on. This is the one that has "Start Address" of PaintDotNet.exe+0xWhatever.

Whatever it's parked on, that may be a clue as to what's going on.

However, I wouldn't get your hopes up. This sounds like it's probably caused by something else in your system.

post-44714-0-21695700-1440374263_thumb.p

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I'll keep track on this apparent PDN  anomaly.

I have used Process Explorer before and I have it with me.

On more than one occasion, after opening my computer and launching PDN from my Classic Shell Start Menu with one click, the blue loading circle appears beside the cursor but PDN did not appear and there was no sign of it from my running processes. If I click it the second time, PDN would appear and run normally as expected. Kinda strange. I don't recall it with 4.05 as I never moved that icon from in there after a few version upgrades now.

I just tried opening PDN 4.06 now after I just started my computer. Again, neither its window nor its Taskbar icon appeared.

Had a quick check with the running processes using Task Manager. The paint.net.exe was there but it terminated by itself suddenly before I could open Process Explorer to get a more in-depth view of its status.

I think its an anomaly.