Is there any way to run Paint.net on Windows 2000 Pro?

Just asking. I tried to load the program but after the file extraction to the temp directory, a message appeared stating Windows XP is necessary.

I know the system requirements mention that Win XP is required, but in one of the the FAQ explanations, I noted that:

Why aren't Windows 98 or ME supported?

...Third, it would also compromise the quality of Paint.NET on the versions of Windows that we do currently support by requiring us to reduce or limit functionality. We use features of Windows that aren't available unless you have at least Windows 2000 or even XP.

After reading the above, I was hoping that I could install it on a computer that runs Win 2000 Pro.

Nope that's just outdated text. Paint.NET 3.0 absolutely requires Windows XP or newer. I ripped out all the gnarly Win2K support code many months ago, so Paint.NET 3.0 is definitely making calls to system functions that are only available on XP and newer.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Nope that's just outdated text. Paint.NET 3.0 absolutely requires Windows XP or newer. I ripped out all the gnarly Win2K support code many months ago, so Paint.NET 3.0 is definitely making calls to system functions that are only available on XP and newer.

Is there anyway way to get version 2.72? Usually, I download earlier versions of freeware that I plan to use, but for some reason I forgot to download Paint.net.

• 3 months later...

Hmm At first sight I can only see two Windows 2000 incompatible API calls being used (building version 3.08.2720.27901 in VS.NET under Windows 2000 SP4):

GetLayeredWindowAttributes (user32.dll)

and

WTSRegisterSessionNotification (wtsapi32.dll)

Both which are perfectly avoidable because the opacity function seems to be used rudimentairy in SetFormOpacity and the fast user switching function in "EventHandler SessionChanged" is bollocks in windows 2000 anyhow because it doesn't -have- fast user switching.

Mind these are the only two problems I found in playing around Paint.NET for a few minutes (to edit a PNG icon which I couldn't do with MS Paint) but if this is the scope of "Windows 2000 incompatibility" then .... WHY?