Paint.net 4.0.6 upgrade error. Paint.net 4.0.5 works fine.

paintdotnetfan1

I have stikle's error as they posted here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/32094-paintnet-406-is-now-available/page-2#entry429283  

and was requested to start a new thread.

The error dialog box is the same as his.  The crash log differs a bit from theirs and I was requested to veryify my drivers were up to date. 

I ran driver update and did verify that the nvidia drivers are the latest as on the nvidia website Nvidia GeForce 353.62

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1

I have an nvidia geforce 555m & intel hd 3000 . 

The other person with the error did not have the word nvidia in their logfile.

Paint.net 4.0.5 works fine.

Here is text from the error dialog:

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.Direct2D.D2D.CreateFactory(Direct2DFactoryType factoryType, Direct2DFactoryOptions factoryOptions)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Direct2D.CreateFactoryX64(Direct2DFactoryType factoryType, Direct2DFactoryOptions factoryOptions) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SystemLayer\Direct2D.cs:line 71

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Direct2D.CreateFactory(Direct2DFactoryType factoryType, Direct2DFactoryOptions factoryOptions) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SystemLayer\Direct2D.cs:line 86

at PaintDotNet.Direct2D.Direct2DFactory.get_PerThread() in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Core\Direct2D\Direct2DFactory.cs:line 70

at PaintDotNet.Controls.Direct2DControlHandler..ctor(IDirect2DControlHost host, FactorySource d2dFactorySource) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Framework\Controls\Direct2DControlHandler.cs:line 242

at PaintDotNet.Controls.Direct2DControl..ctor(FactorySource d2dFactorySource) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Framework\Controls\Direct2DControl.cs:line 137

at PaintDotNet.Dialogs.ExceptionDialog..ctor() in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Dialogs\ExceptionDialog.cs:line 221

at PaintDotNet.Diagnostics.CrashManager.ShowCrashLogDialog(String crashLogPath) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Diagnostics\CrashManager.cs:line 59

at PaintDotNet.Startup.StartPart2(String mutexName, String[] remainingArgs) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Startup.cs:line 572

For convience here is stikle's log file for comparison(this is not my logfile).  You can switch tabs between the both of ours and see the similiary and differences. 

Here is a fresh logfile after running windows update and driver update(this is my logfile): http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=RXKqEZTS

post-142375-0-39250100-1439063791_thumb.

Edited by paintdotnetfan1

I've seen a couple other people post here now with the "Attempted to read or write protected memory" error.

Odd.  At least 4.05 still works for everything I need to do.

FYI- I installed 4.06 on my fresh W10 install at home with no problem.

Edit - Just installed the latest nVidia drivers for my specific laptop GPU, and no improvement...4.06 still gives the same error, 4.05 launches just fine.

I've got 16GB of RAM.  Visual Studio and all other apps run without a problem.  Very peculiar...  <strokes beard>

Edited by stikle

This often happens because of screen recording software like Mirillis or other video card utilities such as EVGA Precision X. They have bugs. They hook into Direct3D and mess things up and the crash gets blamed on the application, not the poorly written utility. Since Paint.NET uses Direct2D, which uses Direct3D, this affects Paint.NET.

The fix is usually to turn off the other software, or disable hardware acceleration in Paint.NET.

It's also possible that you've adjusted some settings in the video card control panel, like forcing temporal antialiasing or whatnot, and these are not playing well with Direct2D. Reset all of those settings to the defaults.

And, make sure you have ALL Windows Updates installed. There is at least 1 recent case of a bad Windows Update that went out which caused some crashes. Then there was an update that fixed it. From what I saw in the crash logs that were sent to me, this affected all releases of Windows: 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

HA!  I found the reg keys to re-enable Windows update, bypassing our WSUS server.

SUCK IT, IT!

Of course...there's 106 important updates (32 for Win7, most of the rest for Office) ( @ 1.6GB) required including one for Lync (our internal IM client) that need applied.

What exactly are they blocking them for, and who is managing/approving our WSUS updates?  Geez.

ANYWAY, I'll get these rolling when I get home tonight and see if that changes the outcome of the 4.06 install and report back.

Do you have this installed? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805

If not, try installing it? It shouldn't be required but it's worth trying out.

Your crash still points directly at Windows being at fault. Paint.NET can't get Direct2D, DXGI, or UI Animation to give it the time of day. If it's not a Windows Update then maybe it's an antivirus, or a virus, or a video card utility, or a screen recording software, or something.

In the crash log, look through the list of "Native modules". If you see anything that you recognize from some software you've installed, try disabling it or uninstalling it (at your discretion).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I have no screen recording software and the update says:

---------------------------
Windows Update Standalone Installer
Update for Windows (KB2670838) is already installed on this computer.

OK   

I don't know why 4.0.5 works fine, but something perhaps something changed in how it detects video cards?

• 5 months later...

Just as a follow-up - I was able to download and install 4.09 today and it launches with no issue.  Same laptop that 4.06 would not install on.  Must be gremlins.