Changing Color in a dificult to change picture

gburya

I have a "QR" code I want to change from being black and white to having the white transparent, and the black looking like Gold-Leaf/Gold foil.

I have some Gold-Leaf pictures. I figured if I could somehow overlay the Gold-Leaf/Gold foil picture and have it only show where there is black?

I'm attaching a copy of the ONE of the QR codes I want to change.

I don't care HOW I have to do it, just as long as I get the currently white part either transparent, or pure black, and the part of the pic that is currently black looking like Gold-Leaf/Gold foil etc...

I'm making a business card that the background is Black, and I want the QR code to stand out in Gold-Leaf/Gold foil.

Please advise. I've never really gotten good with Paint.NET because it is so much different than windows-Paint which I'm pretty good with, but I know it's limited compaired to the Paint.NET program.

Thanks!

post-142359-0-92596300-1438888388_thumb.

Open your gold leaf image

Add your QR code to a new layer above the gold leaf image

Select the QR layer and Adjustment > Invert Colors so that your bar code is white instead of black

Click Layers > Properties, change the blending mode from Normal to Multiply.

Flatten the image

With Magic Wand, Shift-Click the black area and press Delete key.

Save as .PNG format

Since I don't know what plugins you have loaded, I gave you a paint.net only way to do it.

• Upvote 1

I do not know how to use or read QRs but you can do very neat art with It. Great  idea!

Thanks BoltBait for the tip. I added an inside contour and a drop shadow. 

qr-gold-4c48402.png

Post edit: I found online QR readers but they can not read my image. I guess they do not like colours. 

Edited by Eli

Aw, go on....

$20 bucks a time to EER's retirement fund :lol:

The phone number is for a FREE informational recording about my business.

It's a 2 minute long recording. I give it out all the time, and I put this QR code on my business cards so people can scan it to get to the phone number quickly.

Thanks guys for this information on how to do this!!  I appreciate it VERY MUCH!! 

Gary B.

Another way to do this, is to use the Alpha Mask plugin. It is my preferred method for this type of thing.

1) Select your code image layer; Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+D. then deselect.

2) Add new blank layer above with your gold leaf image. Then click Effects > Alpha Mask and invert mask.

This will leave you with the gold leaf only on the black areas and the background will be transparent. Here I added a black background.

DJq3BGK.png

• Upvote 1

Plane_Sig2.gif

TechnoRobbo is time to use your coding skills to create a hieroglyphics decoder.   :D

Nah, I'm pretty sure it was all advertising and product placement.

This is a an ad for NIKE

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Egypt_Hieroglyphe4.jpg

• Upvote 4

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

Nah, I'm pretty sure it was all advertising and product placement.

This is a an ad for NIKE

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Egypt_Hieroglyphe4.jpg

I don't know.....I think it looks more like an add for united airlines. You can either take the donkey (upper left) or fly with the eagles (right) and get there faster.......

Plane_Sig2.gif

Another way to do this, is to use the Alpha Mask plugin. It is my preferred method for this type of thing.

1) Select your code image layer; Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+D. then deselect.

2) Add new blank layer above with your gold leaf image. Then click Effects > Alpha Mask and invert mask.

This will leave you with the gold leaf only on the black areas and the background will be transparent. Here I added a black background.

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who knows the simplicity of the Alpha Mask Plugin. :D

But I think my steps might be just a little different than yours.

@ Anyone interested in using the Alpha Mask Plugin.

1) You would want three layers. A background color layer, the Code Layer, and the picture of the Gold Leaf on it's own layer.

2) Click on the Code layer and Select All (crtl + a), copy (ctrl + c), and optional deselect (ctrl + d).

3) Make the code layer invisible by turning it off. (this is only for visual purposes so you can see what you are doing.)

4) Click on the Gold Leaf layer and run the alpha mask plugin and check-mark "Invert Mask".

5) Turn off all layers except the gold code. Then save the image as a png or whichever format you like that retains transparency. (when you save the image will automatically ask you to flatten. you will lose your layers when it does this and you cannot get them back. If you want your layers do not flatten yet and save the image as a pdn first, then re-save to png. This will give you both a layers version of your image and a normal format version of your image.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles