Help!!! I lost all my Plugins :(

Hello Everyone :) I had to re download paint after refreshing my computer... I have re downloaded and installed all (well at least I think) my plugins. I am putting them in the programs effects folder but they just are not showing !!!! None of them and I am going insane trying to fix it :( I have not up dated to the new 4 paint, I am still running 3.5.11 because some of the plugins I use are not comparable with the new version but either way seem they do not want to play nicely with me... and my poor paint leaves me because he is so dang lonely from not having all the pretty and fun things he normally does ....Can some1 help me before I go crazy :O Thanks 

Sorry, version incompatibility or plugins downloaded from places that aren't paint.net's forums are the only things I can think of that might be the issue.

Most plugins should work for both paint.net 3.5.11 and 4.0+, however, we are starting to get plugins that are only compatible with 4.0 and some that are still only compatible with 3.5.11. So be sure you are using 3.5 plugins for 3.5 and 4.0 plugins for 4.0. Some users have thought that some of their favorite plugins didn't work with 4.0, when it turns out the users were using the wrong plugin versions.

Here are some examples of plugins that have both 3.5 versions and 4.0 versions.
-- BoltBaitPack3.5.11
-- BoltBaitPack4.0

-- TextureShader4.0
-- TextureShaderPost#20 3.5.11

If a plugin does not have an editors note of not working with paint.net 4.0, or if it is not specified which version of paint.net the plugin is compatible with, then it is probably a neutral plugin and compatible with both paint.net versions (most plugins are neutral). As an example, here is a plugin pack that has mostly fine plugins, and two incompatible plugins: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8043-curtis-plugin-pack-update-for-354/

Also be careful you aren't using plugins that have been downloaded from dangerous websites. If you haven't already, read these to know more :
-- http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/1708-how-to-install-pluginsgeneral-plugin-troubleshooting-thread/
-- http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28270-megalo-virus/

I personally recommend you update to paint.net 4.0 and if there are plugins you like/use that don't function for 4.0, then post about them in their plugin thread and perhaps someone will be able to update the plugin or point you to an alternative plugin.

If you still are not sure about 4.0, you can have both paint.net versions installed at the same time, as talked about here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28279-how-to-open-3511-after-installing-40/

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Some people just plain prefer the older version over the new version of PDN. I have both and find the new version to be a pain in the neck to use. With all the glorious hype about the new version an old saying comes to mind, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. As with the newer versions of windows, better is not always for the best experience. 

As you can probably tell, you will not get any help with the older version of PDN on this forum so I would say you are on your own and should retrace your steps and hopefully find where the problem lies. If you downloaded the program and plugins from one of the bogus virus sites I would say you might have to reformat your computer again and start from scratch. 

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

I am sorry... I should of made it clear... I know that some plugins are not compatible with the 2 different versions of paint. And I do have the correct plugins loaded and put in the programs/ paint.net/effects folder. When I first reloaded paint, I re loaded paint 4 ... NO PLUGINS!!! So I thought, hmmmm maybe they changed where the plugins are located and looked could not find them... So had to track down the down load link for 3.5 thinking i would be more familiar with where things were, but after searching OMG hundreds of folders on my computer and then re downloading and unipping tons of plugins still nothing... I am pretty cleaver when it comes to computers but this 1 has me baffled... and it does not make much of a difference of whether i have 3.5 or 4 downloaded there is no plugins showing in the actually program... POUTS :/  some1 has to help me plz for the sake of my children ... Playing with pdn and pictures is my time out spot it calms me .... without it i cant promise my 3 girls that love fighting over everything with live to see their next birthday :cake:  LMAO .... 

Hello Adorabelle,

1. Are the plugin ".dll's" showing up in Program Files/ Paint.NET/Effects ? - (and not in sub-folders).
2. Are effect .dlls the ONLY things in that folder (perhaps another of Pdn's files has accidentally been moved in there?)
3. If you can supply a screenshot of your Paint.NET/Effects folder it may help to find an answer.
4. Any other details you can confirm will help too. ie.
Is it Pdn 3.5.11 or Pdn 4.0.5? where did you download Pdn and the effects from? Are there any crash reports?

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Only 1 place I would trust to download from :P HERE ... With the exception of 1 plugin the PS filter one and I got the place to download that plugin from 1 of the admins here a while ago. but will check on the other things and if everything is how it should be I will get a screen shot for you ♥

Pleased to hear that! - (the 'old' Pdn 3.5.11 isn't directly available from the forum but there is a link to it in the 'forum rules' section 8. Which should be safe. Do consider trying Pdn 4+ if you can though.)

Will wait to see the screenshot ;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I am using 3.5 and I got it from here ... the very first time I loaded it.. I never deleted the install down load from my computer .. hence having to search all my many of files lmao took for ever lmao but Red ochre I could just kiss u ... There were other files in the effects folder ... they have been removed and it seem to have all my wonderful toys in it again ♥ but now my question is where do i put the different type of files i have listed below ? If u would not mind ♥

applications

pdb files
cs files
configure setting
resourse files

oppps except 2  ... I am not sure what it is called when you have your picture high lighted or make a square on the picture .. as long as it is highlighted u can rotated with the little hand or arrow .... and on the bottom of pdn their use to b a bar to make picture smaller or larger (just so u could view it) so if u were working on a small part u could enlarging it with out actually enlarging the picture.. If any1 knows what i am talking about and have the plugins handle it would b awesome ♥ 

My Pdn 3.5.11 looks like this:jDYYFzi.png

The Effects folder contains mostly .dll files - there could also be .txt, .pdf or (rarely) .exe files in there. This depends on what plugins you have installed.

Now '.pdb' and '.cs' files are sometimes used when creating or testing new plugins. You may have downloaded the 'source files' for a plugin instead of the compiled .dll file.

They shouldn't be causing any problems but you can remove them.

The 'FileTypes' again contains mostly .dll files or .dlc files.

'Native.x64' and 'Native.x86' contain the program .dlls - for 64 or 32 bit systems respectively.

'Resources' contains folders for different languages and icons.

'Staging' contains the windows installer (.msi)

You may find it easier to move all the effect .dlls from the Effects folder into a folder you have created (not in Programs). You can then add them back and test them a few a time. If possible download the latest version of an effect that is compatible with Pdn 3.5.11. Pdn will open quicker with fewer effects and you can track down anything that is causing problems. It is tempting to download every effect published but it is better to download just a few and really learn what they can do - then decide if you really need them and try out some others!

In Pdn 3.5.11 the view size slider is at the top - in Pdn4 it is on the lower right.

In Pdn 3.5.11 right click on a selected area to rotate it - in Pdn4 there is a control nub.

Pdn4 has advantages and is 'supported' by the forum. If a plugin you need doesn't run on Pdn4 then you should report it on the plugin's thread ... and hopefully the author will update it.

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Hello Everyone!!
Thanks for the help so far and we are getting things fixed... I am still having issues with the PSD Filter. My PSD files are still not showing in PDN. I have read all the above and of course put the different files in the correct places and in PDN it is no longer showing any plugins loading errors. I have read the "READ ME" that come with the plugin and followed them to a t but it is still not working :(  This time I have included some screen shots below ♥

Red, 

thank you for the help so far and explaining in an understandable way making it easy for me to get most of it fixed :) LMAO!!! As for plugins... Yes I have tons of them, but I am familiar with how to use quite a few of them. And for the ones I am not... Each one will have its own time with me, when my girls are not being a royal pain in the butt (lmao) I enjoy playing with the different plugins and seeing what they can do... Learning for me is a high :O  I have been using PDN for about 3 years now. I have gotten quite a few folks using PDN... (Long story short... I am the creator of quite a few rather large facebook gaming help and gifting groups. Our gifters and admins go through a 2 month training period before they are put on the wall. Part of the training is on PDN, because we want folks to see pretty pictures on their feed and PDN is the easiest with the most to offer ♥) 

Below the screen shots of my program files under paint.net... Please let me know if you need anything else to make helping me easier ♥ Love, Hugs and many thanks so far !!!  :D  B)  :/  :lol:  :roll:  ;)  :P 

ekjwua2zp5u.gif

FILE TYPES AREA 1 of 1

orkkrwec9h6.gifEFFECTS FOLDER 1 of 5 

4owj08u8zbl.gif

EFFECTS FOLDER 2 of 5 

czyqi7fxnm5.gif

​EFFECTS FOLDER 3 of 5 

8pik6n9ey9n.gif

EFFECTS FOLDER 4 of 5 

vdih6wsva6t.gif

EFFECTS FOLDER 5 of 5 

flpaxbw2bq5.gif

3on1lzs7fu1.gif

I can not tell you which "read me" they were but 2 of them said to put the dlc that came with it in there as well as the lib in the file type folder but i will b honest with you they are in both the file type filer as well as in the Paint.NET folder ... I figure it cant hurt to have them both places ... But I have really tried this time to load the paint as it should be... Before I refreshed my computer and it erased my PDN ... All the Paint folders had all the extensions in it :O I know I am bad ...  :devlish:  It worked fine lmao for the most part ...lmao what can I say patience is  not one of my strong points  :grin:

It appears that you have installed the Megalo pack, which is an illegal compilation of plugins from this forum.

Remove the contents of your Effects and FileTypes folders and run a virus scan, see Megalo = Virus for more information.

Then you can download the PSD FileType from here.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Adorabelle says that she downloaded the plugins from here.

Only 1 place I would trust to download from :P HERE ... With the exception of 1 plugin the PS filter one and I got the place to download that plugin from 1 of the admins here a while ago. but will check on the other things and if everything is how it should be I will get a screen shot for you ♥

@Adorabelle - if Null54 is correct then you should DELETE EVERYTHING in the \Effects\ folder and the \Filetypes\ folder. You'll then need to download the plugins you need from this forum.

I did the only time i went away from here was when the plugin creator from here told me too. I dont even know where to look for additional plugins for PDN... So cough cough if i left here it was at the say from 1 of the plugins creators :P I figured they would not take me to a place not to be trusted :P

BUT>>>> removed all extensions and then uninstalled PDN ran all the good stuff and not I am re download paint and will go through the process of downloading and unzipping then installing ... Damn i sure wish my daughter computer was still up and running .... i would open teamviewer and go into her computer and just copy all the plugins and then download them here :( so very much easier 

• 2 months later...

Adorabelle,

I just downloaded a new plugin (yet another color replacer) and had the same prob.  Then I noticed that the MAJORITY of plugins were not appearing.  I looked into the author's install batch file (helpful, but not correct FOR MY VERSION of Paint.Net (4.0.6).  After copying the .dll to C:\Program Files\paint.net\406\Effects the plugin appears in the Color dropdown under the Effects tab.

Haven't tested yet with other missing plugins, but think I've hit on the solution for the version I'm running.  Hope this helps you and others.