Obligatory Greetings ... and first question if I may.

As wood turning is my passion, photographing my work is a nessassary evil which I've begun to enjoy.

You'll notice the reflection of my lighting on the dark wood grained piece in the attached pic, I'm hoping to get some step by step guidance to remove the reflections. My area to work is small and moving the lights away from the subject did not seem to prevent the problem.

Thanks for any help offered,

Timpost-142139-0-47251200-1437218079_thumb.post-142139-0-28937000-1437218103_thumb. 

Hello timb,

Did you try bouncing the lighting? If you turn your lights away from your subject and bounce it back with a reflecting/white surface you can eliminate the unwanted reflections.

Edited by Eli

Including some shine may be a good thing?

I sometimes photograph oil paintings and getting uniform lighting is difficult.
Have you tried photographing outside? natural light is often best.
Plenty of light is good as it should allow you to reduce the aperture size and have a larger depth of field.
But that's easier said than done on modern digital cameras!

Perhaps a temporary matt varnish? - not sure that would be practical.

Welcome to the forum too!

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Hey Eli,

Thanks for your feedback, I've considered getting some reflective material for just that purpose .... in the mean time, I'd like to try and learn more about the editing option in paint.net, specifically to help with the many pics I've already taken with the reflection issue.

Thanks again,

Tim 

I agree with Red, sometimes shine is good. I also noticed that the edges are out of focus and more light could help to increase the depth of field. You are probably close to the object and using macro mode and unless you have a very expensive lens the results wont be great. On the other hand, if you have some room to move back, a regular zoom lens (80mm) on a tripod should give you nice results too.

This is not perfect as you can see but you can play with and see if you can match the wood grain.

remove-shine-4c0ebc2.png

On layer 1, I erased the shiny surface and applied TR's Edge Fader Xtreme effect to soften the edges.

On the Background layer, first I adjusted the Hue and Saturation (made it darker and increased saturation) and then sharpened to increase the wood grain.

Edited by Eli

I agree with Red, sometimes shine is good. I also noticed that the edges are out of focus and more light could help to increase the depth of field. You are probably close to the object and using macro mode and unless you have a very expensive lens the results wont be great. On the other hand, if you have some room to move back, a regular zoom lens (80mm) on a tripod should give you nice results too.

This is not perfect as you can see but you can play with and see if you can match the wood grain.

remove-shine-4c0ebc2.png

On layer 1, I erased the shiny surface and applied TR's Edge Fader Xtreme effect to soften the edges.

On the Background layer, first I adjusted the Hue and Saturation (made it darker and increased saturation) and then sharpened to increase the wood grain.

Very Interesting, as an absolute beginner to paint.net there is a lot to be learned. Thank's for showing me some of what can be done ...  any recommended tutorials that a beginner should start with?

Thank you,

Tim

Hello. :)

This tutorial might interest you. http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/19117-the-subterranean-copypaste-blues/

Another idea. This is similar to what MJW has already suggested.

1. Open your image.

2. Duplicate your image.

3. Erase the areas you don't like on the duplicated layer. When you erase, you can temporarily turn off the lower layer so you can see what you are erasing. Also when you erase, move the eraser's softness/hardness to down to 0.

4. Duplicate the bottom layer (this will make it so you have three layers) and either move it around till a spot fills in your hole of the top layer nicely, or change the colors of the bottom layer till they blend with the top layer. For changing the color of the one layer, I suggest exploring the Adjustments tab. You can learn more about the different adjustments here : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/AdjustmentsMenu.html

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles
  • Upvote 1