How to Install Plugins ×

RAW FileType (2024-04-10)

null54

This is a real stupid question - sorry.
I put RawFileType.dll, dcraw.exe and RawFileTypeOptions.txt in the Paint.NET FileTypes folder and started paint.net.
Now for the stupid question: where do I find the plugin in paint.net?  I'm using 4.2.12  Thank you

Okay thank you.  I actually dragged the files onto paint.net and they displayed fine.  So I guess my question should have been how do you see each layer in the raw file?  Or are there any specific RAW editing tools in paint.net I need to add? 

6 minutes ago, gwnguy said:

Is the GUI below associated with this plugin?

No, that is a different RAW file plugin.

14 minutes ago, gwnguy said:

So I guess my question should have been how do you see each layer in the raw file?

What do you mean by layers?

All RAW formats that I am aware of contain only a single image.

If you are referring to the individual color channels, Paint.NET does not currently have that feature.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• null54 changed the title to RAW FileType (2021-08-21)

Release version 1.3.0.

Changes:

Replaced DCRaw with LibRaw's dcraw_emu example program.
LibRaw is more frequently updated than DCRaw, so it should provide improved support for newer cameras.

Breaking Change:
The following DCRaw command line switches are not supported by dcraw_emu: -D, -d, -P, -K, -i or -e.

A list of the dcraw_emu-specific commands can be found at libraw.org/docs/Samples-LibRaw.html

• Like 2

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Thank you for creating this plugin.

It seems somewhat slow in opening files -- even when using the half-size option.

Also, could you please add support for extracting the thumbnail from a raw file? The documentation for the original dcraw states that "You'll get either a JPEG or a PPM file, depending on the camera."

10 hours ago, chatbubbles said:

It seems somewhat slow in opening files -- even when using the half-size option.

I made a few improvements in the file I/O code that should make the next version faster.

10 hours ago, chatbubbles said:

Also, could you please add support for extracting the thumbnail from a raw file?

This option is not implemented by dcraw-emu, and the plugin does not support reading JPEG files (only TIFF and PPM).

• Thanks 1

PdnSig.png

• null54 changed the title to RAW FileType (2021-08-27)

Release version 1.3.1.

Changes:

• Rebuilt dcraw_emu to use multi-threaded decoding.
  • Improved performance when writing the temporary input file.
  • Improved performance when reading the decoded PPM files.
  • Added CR3 to the file extension list.
  • Like 1

PdnSig.png

• 4 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 5:30 AM, null54 said:

Release version 1.3.1.

Changes:

• Rebuilt dcraw_emu to use multi-threaded decoding.
  • Improved performance when writing the temporary input file.
  • Improved performance when reading the decoded PPM files.
  • Added CR3 to the file extension list.

Could you please update this plugin with the current LibRaw snapshot? It supports photos from Canon's R5.

• null54 changed the title to RAW FileType (2022-01-12)
2 hours ago, chatbubbles said:

Could you please update this plugin with the current LibRaw snapshot?

Done.

Release version 1.3.2.

Changes:

Updated LibRaw to the 2021-10-22 development snapshot.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

PdnSig.png

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to paint dot net so please forgive any idiocy here. I've added your plugin (many thanks) and can now successfully open a Sony .arw file as I wanted to. It lets me edit and save the file, with an arw extension. But then if I try to open it again with paint it fails with an error? Should I be able to save in any raw format? Or only the file types in the drop down save menu?

• 1 month later...

One of the comments in RawFileTypeOptions.txt states: "The default settings are to the camera white balance (-w) and AHD interpolation (-q 3)."

I guess that should read something like: "The default settings are related to the camera white balance (-w) and AHD interpolation (-q 3)."

Thanks for the plugin!

• null54 changed the title to RAW FileType (2022-12-26)
14 hours ago, StephanP said:

Windows defender reports Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.H!ml and blocks the download.

Looks like a false positive, none of the other vendors on VirusTotal have an issue with the file.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/50863cd88deb6215613d27138c36c751a834422d860370d0b3c27d14a65bc58c?nocache=1

PdnSig.png

4 minutes ago, PJ Noxon said:

This essential plug-in seems to have been replaced with a virus file according to my McAfee, who notifys GitHub and null54?

The more appropriate action is to notify you to remove McAfee from your computer.

JeremyClarksonRubbishGIF.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• null54 changed the title to RAW FileType (2023-01-05)
  • null54 changed the title to RAW FileType (2023-01-19)

Release version 1.3.5.

This release is for Paint.NET 5.0+.

Changes:

• Improved metadata handling when loading TIFF images.
  • Report dcraw_emu error messages.
  • Improved performance when loading PPM files.
  • Like 3

PdnSig.png