How to Install Plugins ×

'ZIP Archive' FileType Plugin (.ZIP) [Latest v1.4 2021-11-04]

midora

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a complete noob to plugins, but I followed the directions, and put the plugins where plugins usually go (In the effects folder right?) But it still doesn't work, I am using one of the versions its compatible with, version 4.0.5 but it still doesn't work. I mean, how do I get the option to show? Like save it as a regular .PNG file?

Basically what I'm asking is how do I use the plugin when I have it installed.

Not quite.

Filetype plugins go in the \Filetypes\ folder, not \Effects\.

From the first post...

Follow the instructions carefully

• Copy the two files 'ImZIP.FileType.dll/.dlc' to the Paint.NET\FileTypes\ folder
  • Remove other plugins supporting the same file type (.zip) from Paint.NET\FileTypes\ folder (to avoid possible conflicts) I.e. 'TileImageFileType.dll' plugin.
To verify the installation you should restart Paint.NET and check that the filetype popup of the 'Open...' file dialog contains an entry starting with ZIP.

• 2 months later...

Basically what I'm asking is how do I use the plugin when I have it installed.

When installed correctly,

Go up to the Menu Bar in paint.net > File > Save As > click the Save As Type drop down list > look for "ZIP - Compressed Archive of Layers (*.zip)", and then click "Save". The plugin's user interface should pop up.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it possible to prevent the layer names from being changed in the archive?

For example, in paint.net my first layer is "01". When I save it into an archive, I would like to keep it as "01", instead of "L3,R1,C1,01,visible,normal,255".

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@AP2020, you do not need a plugin for that.

On the Menu Bar, click on Layers > Import from File... and select as many files as you need. (I've only ever tried it with files within the same folder). 

More here.

Xkds4Lh.png

Sorry @Djisves, your idea is good but it has 2 problems:

1. I have a many images and the computer crashed, processing one file at a time I suppose wouldn't have happened;
  2. also my files have different sizes, so all the extracted layers would have been the size of the biggest image.

Maybe I was explaining myself wrong. My intention was not only to convert to layers, but also to export them to png

21 minutes ago, AP2020 said:

Sorry @Djisves, your idea is good but it has 2 problems:

1. I have a many images and the computer crashed, processing one file at a time I suppose wouldn't have happened;
  2. also my files have different sizes, so all the extracted layers would have been the size of the biggest image.

Maybe I was explaining myself wrong. My intention was not only to convert to layers, but also to export them to png

Then you would need to use a batch processing software. Either ImageMagick or G'MIC would work. I could help you with G'MIC with a PM though.

Also, do report your bug to @Rick Brewster. I think the import layers to zip method to extract should work. If not, you always have the above method.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

• 1 month later...

I just installed the files into the FileTypes folder but ZIP doesn't appear in the Open or Save As options. I'm on 4.2.15 -- anyone using it successfully with the latest version? 

1 hour ago, midora said:

@aworkerbDid you check if Settings->Plugin Errors tells you something about an exception? Maybe it is just an installation issue.

Good idea. Unfortunately, "there were no errors encountered while loading plugins". 

On 2/26/2021 at 4:20 PM, aworkerb said:

I just installed the files into the FileTypes folder but ZIP doesn't appear in the Open or Save As options. I'm on 4.2.15 -- anyone using it successfully with the latest version? 

Did you do these two steps.....?

• Copy the two files 'ImZIP.FileType.dll/.dlc' to the Paint.NET\FileTypes\ folder
  • Remove other plugins supporting the same file type (.zip) from Paint.NET\FileTypes\ folder (to avoid possible conflicts) I.e. 'TileImageFileType.dll' plugin.

If you did, post a screenshot of your FileTypes folder showing us what's in there.

Is there the possibility that you mixed up the two paint.net variants Standard and Shop? Then there are different FileType folders.

I would expect that paint.net throws an exception if the dll is in the right folder but access is denied.

midoras signature.gif

post a screenshot of your FileTypes folder showing us what's in there.

I recommended this ^ so we can also check the path is correct. That's what @midora is talking about.

10 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I recommended this ^ so we can also check the path is correct. That's what @midora is talking about.

Well, I guess a picture's worth at least a couple of words. Here's where I installed the files. But see my forehead-smacking realization bolded farther down...

filetype-path.thumb.png.393314ad21742f0a078ad891cc80ea89.png

19 hours ago, midora said:

Is there the possibility that you mixed up the two paint.net variants Standard and Shop? Then there are different FileType folders.

I would expect that paint.net throws an exception if the dll is in the right folder but access is denied.

I'm not sure what the "Shop" version is, unless you mean the Microsoft Store? I've only ever had the standalone version. 

HOWEVER, your post made me poke around and finally notice that there were NO OTHER FILES in the parent folder of my FileTypes folder, only a handful of other folders (Effects, Shapes, Staging). That's because everything else is where the program actually lives, Program Files (x86), not plain old Program Files

I moved the filetype libraries to the correct folder, and now I can save out ZIP files. Too bad the reason I went down the path in the first place has come and gone. But I'll be ready for next time. 

Thanks for the help and motivating me to look more carefully. 

• 5 months later...

ImZIp has been updated to version 1.2.

This version added the feature to save all layers, visible only, hidden only,

image.png.dfee363c7fdfeb261d2e9207300a8e93.png

ImZIP.FileType v1.2.zip

Sorry that I'm not able to put it in the first thread but I lost the account email years ago.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif