Sign in to follow this  
MJW

Texture Shader

The Planetoid controls are very well done. I'll give it some serious consideration.

Not that it really matters much, but does Planeload use a separate DLL for the controls or are they all in one DLL? Does it use ILMerge in the build process? Also, are the controls added to the forms with programmer-written code, or are they done using the VS Designer?

The sliders, color selector control, and roll control are the custom ones. These start as a separate VS project, built and then added to the toolbox. Using them from the toolbox is just like any other tool. Yes I used VS form designer, no to ILmerge.

It would be a great late Christmas present if your 2 brains had a solution, but not the end of the world if not.

Thanks for looking into it

Reflection_Map_Title.png

I've released version 2.2.0, which has a new mapping mode called Reflection Map (Equirectangular). It should be useful for producing such things as chrome text. (Reflection mapping is also referred to as "environment mapping.") It's a feature I've intended to add for a long time, and finally gotten around to. Though it doesn't replace the other reflection mapping modes, it's probably the most generally useful.

Equirectangular images are 360° spherical images that represent the image in equally-spaced latitude-longitude format. There are many available on the Internet, including those on the Equirectangular Flickr group.

Some things to note (which I'll add to as I think of them):

- Though image scaling is supported, values other than the default value of 1 may not produce useful results.

- Likewise, though the normal Image mode is Clipboard, the other modes are supported, and may sometimes be useful when the image scale factor is less than 1.

- Although equirectangular projections are normally twice as wide as they are tall, all aspect ratios are treated as full sphere maps.

-  The offset controls are used to rotate the image sphere about the X and Y axes, while the Rotation control rotates it about the Z axis. The Z rotation is applied last, so it will rotate the sphere that has been rotated about Y and tilted about X.

- Standard reflection mapping considers the sphere to be at infinity, so that for a directional eye vector, only the surface normal matters, not the position of the point. The Reflection Map (Equirectangular) mapping mode allows the sphere radius to be changed, so the reflection varies, even for a flat surface. A Mapping Displacement of 0 specifies an infinite sphere. Increasing the displacement decreases the sphere size. If the sphere is so small that the height-map points are outside the sphere, they will be transparent. The value at which this occurs depends on the canvas size (for obvious reasons).

- Standard equirectangular projections have the following characteristics: They're twice as wide as they are high, since the width represents 360° and the height represents 180°; the top row of pixels and the bottom row of pixels are constant, since the top row represents the sphere's topmost point, and the bottom row represents the sphere's bottommost point; the left edge (nearly) matches the right edge, since the image wraps around.
-  For many situations, images that are not actual equirectangular projections will produce useful results. However, using, for instance, an image that doesn't match at the left and right edge may limit the positions that the sphere can be rotated to without the seam becoming visible.

- Often, it's more effective to use mostly ambient lighting, by using a high value of ambient light, and by ether reducing the directional light intensity, or increasing the specularity so that that the directional light mostly contributes highlights.

- I chose to use equirectangular projections because they're widely available, quite intuitive, and make reasonably efficient use of the image space.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Nice new feature.

Handy for glass text without needing an outside map.  I envy you coding guys ...

glass_text.png

• Like 4

9 hours ago, MJW said:

I've released version 2.2.0

Now, this looks awesome!  Did you use @dipstick 's emap?  Looks like it.  I have something to play with!

Thank you MJW!   Will it give results similiar to this (this is what we were trying to duplicate; link from dipstick):   Bevel Reflect

Edit:  At least that's what I was trying to do. I used your EdgeShader plugin to get some height in the middle of the letters to give it a beveled, though rounded look.

4 hours ago, welshblue said:

Handy for glass text without needing an outside map

That is also awesome Welshy!!   What steps did you use?  What map did you use?  Oh, darn...just do a tutorial...:P

Edited by lynxster4

3 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

That is also awesome Welshy!!   What steps did you use?  What map did you use?  Oh, darn...just do a tutorial...:P

Thanks, but needs fine tuning a bit.  I used the texture from my stamped text tutorial.  The Planetoid made one.

I will get something set out as a tut, BTH currently got so much going on in my life - don't hold your breath or you may turn blue :/

Same technique but using a different Splinter Blend Mode when blurring.  Went a bit scratched ... I think it was a couple of layers of Negation :/

bevel_text.png

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 4

I got some interesting results. I see how the new mapping method 'wraps' around the object.

I used dip's original emap and made more severe modifications to it.

textureshader_01.png

I'll be playing with this for sure!  Thank you!   :D

• Like 4

8 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Now, this looks awesome!  Did you use @dipstick 's emap?  Looks like it.  I have something to play with!

Thank you! I used a larger version of the the following map:

6415098299_3399bf8f0b_z.jpg

• Like 1

@lynxster4 and @dipstick ... really nice results.  What font did you use Dip' ?  Maybe it's me, but I'm finding certain fonts give better results

@MJW ... this is such a great addition to the arsenal Texture Shader had already.

I had 2 choices ... try and perfect 'glass' or find a new life insurance quote that means I can afford to eat before getting rich when I die

proper_glass_text.png

... guess what won out when I realised my wife and daughter will spend it on shoes, my son urinating it against a wall and I'll get flowers maybe twice a year :lol:

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 2

I used "Impact" font on my letters. Here are some tests with a few e-maps I have on a heart shape since it's Valentines day tomorrow...

5qoKDiJ.png

• Like 2

@dipstick, I really like the reflecting hearts, but you might want to try the Texture Smoother. It does a pretty good job of smoothing out the waterlines caused by the low resolution of gray-scale height maps.

14 hours ago, welshblue said:

Maybe it's me, but I'm finding certain fonts give better results

That is a certainty.  Thicker fonts give better results!   ;)